Seeding meeting stories?

AJ

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite is the school that doesn't wrestle anyone in the sectional and always rattles off podunk schools that no one wrestles when trying to find a common opponent.  This tends to get old around the 119lb weight class, but they continue to do this all night long. 

Yeah, and they all have lik e 33-4 records but recieved 16 forfeits.

Back before weigh-in sheets and the alpha weight, the wrestler's weight was recorded in the scorebook. A new rule that particular year was the weights were to be recorded in ink.

At the coach's meeting prior to the start of the Sectional-the seeding meeting had already taken place and we are less than 30 minutes from the start of the tournament-one coach challenges another coach's scorebook because the weights were recorded in pencil.

The tournament director and I both reviewed the scorebook and it was clear that no changes had been made to the weights. We then called Blake Ress who was then in charge of wrestling for the IHSAA and he ruled to allow the team to wrestle and if any issues came up after an investigation the school would be penalized and their wrestlers would not be permitted to wrestle in the Regional.

This situation delayed the start of the Sectional about 45 minutes.

It really boiled down to the one coach did not like the other and felt a few of his kids should have been seeded higher, but the other coach voted against him every time.

I was in a seeding meeting for a tournament earlier in the season, and the weight class was really, really weak. There was like 3 coaches fighting for a seed for their wrestlers that had below .500 records (yes that is how weak it was).  Anyways a coach uses his best argument..."well this kid is really athletic"  hahaha...I decided to get out of my chair and grab another drink to hide my laugh.

Back before weigh-in sheets and the alpha weight, the wrestler's weight was recorded in the scorebook. A new rule that particular year was the weights were to be recorded in ink.

At the coach's meeting prior to the start of the Sectional-the seeding meeting had already taken place and we are less than 30 minutes from the start of the tournament-one coach challenges another coach's scorebook because the weights were recorded in pencil.

The tournament director and I both reviewed the scorebook and it was clear that no changes had been made to the weights. We then called Blake Ress who was then in charge of wrestling for the IHSAA and he ruled to allow the team to wrestle and if any issues came up after an investigation the school would be penalized and their wrestlers would not be permitted to wrestle in the Regional.

This situation delayed the start of the Sectional about 45 minutes.

It really boiled down to the one coach did not like the other and felt a few of his kids should have been seeded higher, but the other coach voted against him every time.

Was this back when you had to dip the pen into that ink jar?

istockphoto_763011_feather_pen.jpg

Here is a good one.  Jose Escobedo's sophomore year he was suspended for the 1st semester and did not wrestle prior to sectionals.  At the seed meeting he had a 0-0 record and some coaches argued that he should not be seeded because he had not wrestled anyone.  This was after winning the sectional and taking 7th in state the year before at the same weight class.

doing the seed meeting on a chalkboard in the 21st century. AHHHHHHHHH

Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It maybe Hilarious but on page 157 of the I.H.S.A.A. Winter Bulletin it states:

"B. Suggested Procedures to Follow at the Sectional Seeding Meeting

1. Equipment and Supplies: Chalkboard, numbers and shaker bottle; sufficient

chairs and tables; sufficient blank bracket sheets for each weight class and

coach. Brackets will also be needed for classes in which all schools do not

enter."

Maybe they were just following the rules to a "T"!

oh and I have heard also......Challenge matches results, the kid is more athletic than your kid, and my personal favorite....your kid has more FF's than mine!

Your contention flies in the face of small schools building themselves up brick by brick and sanctifies the existing fraternity structure.  In fact, I'd say it even encourages condecension.

We all know there must be high and low standards set by the use of the ranking system.  Yet, there is no determining factor or index used in the setting of schedules other than the results that come from these meetings.  Should there be?  I see the tangibly measured but artificially utilized concept of tradition supported by a sometimes too clear estimation of self-worth as big factors in figuring out who meets who during a season.

Sour grapes?  Sure.  But remember, there are those of us who do have to find matches where we can get them and have to stomach duplicity from the fraternity when seeking to make changes.  

My favorite is the school that doesn't wrestle anyone in the sectional and always rattles off podunk schools that no one wrestles when trying to find a common opponent.  This tends to get old around the 119lb weight class, but they continue to do this all night long. 

Your contention flies in the face of small schools building themselves up brick by brick and sanctifies the existing fraternity structure.  In fact, I'd say it even encourages condecension.

I don't think it is that hard to make changes in the schedule whether you are trying to upgrade or downgrade the schedule.  We see every school in our sectional or have common opponents with them.  It is when school will travel to the other end of the state and bring up those schools in seeding meetings for common opponents that it becomes tiresome.

Sometimes, it can be easy and other times it is not and that is all I am willing to say.  I agree with looking at a bunch of non-common opponents as wearisome, but when all things are equal, the argument always provides a clear winner based on the same issue.

I don't think it is that hard to make changes in the schedule whether you are trying to upgrade or downgrade the schedule.  We see every school in our sectional or have common opponents with them.  It is when school will travel to the other end of the state and bring up those schools in seeding meetings for common opponents that it becomes tiresome.

I'm sure the Mishawaka coaches will be facing the same argument with Trent Reinohl tonight.   My thoughts are he shouldn't be a top four seed, but I'd like to see him seeded because I don't want my kid drawing him in a rat tail match if he's seeded.

I agree that he should be seeded.  I think seeded 6th because the #1 seed shouldn't have to wrestle him in the semi final in my opinion.

It maybe Hilarious but on page 157 of the I.H.S.A.A. Winter Bulletin it states:

"B. Suggested Procedures to Follow at the Sectional Seeding Meeting

1. Equipment and Supplies: Chalkboard, numbers and shaker bottle; sufficient

chairs and tables; sufficient blank bracket sheets for each weight class and

coach. Brackets will also be needed for classes in which all schools do not

enter."

I notice it has everything suggested except for a coin. 

Does anyone still use an actual shaker bottle?

This wasn't funny at the time, but at the conference seeding meeting this year we had a kid who was undefeated in every conference dual.He did lose to a kid later in the year at a tournament.  So he had an 11-1 record in the confernce, and he recieved a FOUR seed because we hadn't seen a couple of the kids, we had beat the kid they wrestled against us, but not the kid they were wrestling, and we had lost that one match.  The sad part was that by criteria he got seeded fairly correctly.  I dont know about you but to me that seems like something that is pretty rare.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.