TAE or other enlightened wrestling historians

AJ

What is the most amount of runner-up finishes a wrestler has had that never eventually won a state title? Has anyone been a runner-up 4 times? 3 times?

This doesn't answer your question.  But when I think of the most accomplished wrestler to never win state (not even getting to the finals) was Randy Baker.  3rd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th.  But Taylor March would definitely unseat Baker this year, for my money.  2nd, 2nd, 3rd,???.  Don't take this as me rooting against him because I never would do that.  Just saying...

What is the most amount of runner-up finishes a wrestler has had that never eventually won a state title? Has anyone been a runner-up 4 times? 3 times?

This doesn't answer your question.  But when I think of the most accomplished wrestler to never win state (not even getting to the finals) was Randy Baker.  3rd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th.  But Taylor March would definitely unseat Baker this year, for my money.  2nd, 2nd, 3rd,???.  Don't take this as me rooting against him because I never would do that.  Just saying...

I like Craig Macke EMD for the best never to win it. It is hard to win a title when You have Aaron Clark and Angel Escobedo in you weight

Someone a year or so back (maybe TAE) compiled a list of the top Indiana wrestlers of all time based on their over all state tournament results.  Many great names both recent and historic on the list.  Several names listed that placed high multiple years but never won it all.

I like Craig Macke EMD for the best never to win it. It is hard to win a title when You have Aaron Clark and Angel Escobedo in you weight

Forgot about Macke.  Usually, I just dismiss anyone that wrestled 103... I'M KIDDING!!!  Alright so Macke, then Baker in recent history anyway.

William Campbell from Warren Central was a two time runner-up. 1998 he lost to Steven Bradley and in 1999 he lost to Randy Pursley. Besides maybe Randy Baker he might be the best wrestler to not be a state champ.

It's not asking best to never win a title. It's asking for the wrestler with the most runner-up finishes to never win a title. So therefore, Randy Baker doesn't fit in this equation.

It's not asking best to never win a title. It's asking for the wrestler with the most runner-up finishes to never win a title. So therefore, Randy Baker doesn't fit in this equation.

Oh details, details... that's no fun though. ;)

AJ,

The answer is NO.

There are no 4-time or 3-time runner-ups that have not won the state.

There are more than a few 2-timers.

But just for discussion purposes consider the following:

The three thirds and never a title:

Mike Runyon- Bloomington South- 3rd at 119, 130, and 135 in 87, 89, and 90.

The four fourths and never a title:

Nick Koons- Bellmont- 4th at 112, 119, and 130 in 98, 99, and 01.

Jay Mack- Merrillville- 4th at 98, 112, and 126 in 83, 84,and 85.

Robert Patty- Bloomington- 4th at heavyweight in 37, 38, and 39.

Sidney Hill- Terre Haute Wiley- 4th at 100 (twice) and 115 in 32, 33, and 34

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Oh details, details... that's no fun though.  ;)

I'm just messing.  I would have done the same thing, but you beat me to it.

AJ,

The answer is NO.

There are no 4-time or 3-time runner-ups that have not won the state.

There are more than a few 2-timers.

But just for discussion purposes consider the following:

The three thirds and never a title:

Mike Runyon- Bloomington South- 3rd at 119, 130, and 135 in 87, 89, and 90.

The four fourths and never a title:

Nick Koons- Bellmont- 4th at 112, 119, and 130 in 98, 99, and 01.

Jay Mack- Merrillville- 4th at 98, 112, and 126 in 83, 84,and 85.

Robert Patty- Bloomington- 4th at heavyweight in 37, 38, and 39.

Sidney Hill- Terre Haute Wiley- 4th at 100 (twice) and 115 in 32, 33, and 34

TheAncientElder (TAE)

www.theancientelder.net

Jay Mack.....talk about a tough little dude.  Was a frat bro' in college and it was always fun to watch guys my size choose to pick fights with Jay.  You put him and Willie Cruz at a party together and you had 250 lbs of whoopa$$. HAHA

TAE...for my amusement, could you revisit the career of one Damon Hummell as it relates to this discussion.  I believe he was the poster child for the advent of the 215 lb. class. ;)

Poster child for the 215 lbs weight class.

The 215 weight pound class was not used until 1995.

The jump was from 189 to Hwt.

1991  189  Q  09  Damon  Hummel  Rochester  26-2.

State qualifier. Lost to Jason Tone of Ft. Wyne Dwenger by fall 2:46.

1992  189  2  10  Damon  Hummel  Rochester  36-2.

Placed 2nd. Lost to state champ Derrick Robinson of Lawrence North 5-4.

1993  Hwt  2  11  Damon  Hummel  Rochester  38-1.

placed 2nd. Lost to state champ Andy Schneider of Mount Vernon 11-7.

1994  Hwt  3  12  Damon  Hummel  Rochester  37-1.

Placed 3rd. Lost to state champ Andy Schneider of Mount Venon 8-4.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

www.theancientelder.net

So quick math tells the story of a kid with a career record of 137-5

....2 of those loses coming Saturday night under the lights

....3 to the eventual state champion

....12 pts. total away from being a 3x'er

I always felt like the kid should be singing the tune from Annie, "It's a hard luck life ..." HAHA

A few years after his last loss to Schneider I saw Ball State was in a bowl game and he was playing D tackle for them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.