I.H.S.W.C.A. Middle School State Tournament

Coach Peck

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why I asked about true second for this year.....because in the past years it has been a wrestle back to third for the middle school.

Last year they had wrestle back to a "true second".  If the 3rd place kid did not have a chance to wrestle the 2nd place kid then the 3rd place kid can challenge the 2nd place kid.

Thanks  ProPower..... So if the kid who lost the championship match beat the kid who won the 3rd place match earlier in the day...Im guessing they would not wrestle again.

That is my understanding on how it works. 

As of today, there are only 14 wrestlers registered for the tournament. 

When is the deadline to register?

I believe 2/12/09.  That is what is currently showing on TrackWrestling.com as the date for Pre-Registration deadline.

I believe that the format used this year for weigh ins and having to pay online with track wrestling is going to hurt the attendance at this tournament.....

I have been wrong before so hopefully I will be eating crow in a few weeks!

It may be that some people are waiting until the last minute to make sure that their wrestler can make the weight class also. ???

I doubt we will be there. I don`t agree with giviving a five pound weight allowance. You have the lower weight that does not have weight to cut or can`t go any lower, they will be wrestling giving up 10 pounds. That is a lot at 70-75 pounds. I don`t understand why you don`t have kids get on the scale and they wrestle what they weigh. If they don`t make weight, they don`t wrestle. Declare a weight and give 2 pounds at the most. I don`t agree with that either but it is more realistic. We are talking about kids here. They should not be cutting weight to begin with. No more than a few pounds anyway.

I doubt we will be there. I don`t agree with giviving a five pound weight allowance. You have the lower weight that does not have weight to cut or can`t go any lower, they will be wrestling giving up 10 pounds. That is a lot at 70-75 pounds. I don`t understand why you don`t have kids get on the scale and they wrestle what they weigh. If they don`t make weight, they don`t wrestle. Declare a weight and give 2 pounds at the most. I don`t agree with that either but it is more realistic. We are talking about kids here. They should not be cutting weight to begin with. No more than a few pounds anyway.

My contention is that when the two wrestlers go to the mat for the first round Sunday morning, even with the five pound allowance, there will be less of a weight gap between them than ever before.  If there is a wrestler who is always a 75 pounder and he weighes 77 (ready to wrestle) the most his opponent can weigh is 80 (ready to wrestle).  This is saying that the opponent wants to take the chance and cut it close (if he is 80.1 he will not wrestle).  In previous years the kid who can weigh 80 (ready to wrestle) would still have probably cut to 75, but by the time they wrestled for their first match that kid might weigh anywhere between 80 and 90 pounds.  We may well decide to decrease the weight allowance next year. 

I certainly agree that kids should not be cutting weight, but no matter what the format is they will do this as long as parents let them.

I also agree that we might have fewer contestants (we will have to wait and see).  Fewer contestants is not always a bad thing.  I do think that many people will wait until next week to register.  I just hope they do not wait until there is an hour or so to go in Registration to register becasue they could get locked out if there should be an overload.  If someone does not get registered then they do not get registered.

Anyone who wishes can find just about anything they want to know about Middle School State by clicking on the link below:

http://www.newcastlewrestling.com/MSState_information.htm

By the way Jacob...I hope you come.  I do not believe I have ever met you face to face and would like too.  Please introduce yourself.

Perry Meridian will be bringing an entire team and some extras.  We are waiting to register to get all of the kids information together.  Our club is going to help pay for some of the fees.  We are currently in the process of organizing the roster.  I hope the tournament is as big as it was last year.  I hope it goes a little smoother.  I believe we had one of the last matches of the night between Kirk Johnson and Mauer for true second place.  It was very close to 11:00 Pm if I remember correctly.

Perry Meridian will be bringing an entire team and some extras.  We are waiting to register to get all of the kids information together.  Our club is going to help pay for some of the fees.  We are currently in the process of organizing the roster.  I hope the tournament is as big as it was last year.  I hope it goes a little smoother.  I believe we had one of the last matches of the night between Kirk Johnson and Mauer for true second place.  It was very close to 11:00 Pm if I remember correctly.

It was close to 11:00pm.  I was there also.  With the new registration process in place, once weigh-ins are over, the wrestlers that didn't make weight or didn't show up can be deleted and brackets can be created.  Bouts can be printed and the tournament can begin.  The pairings room is looking to finish up much sooner than 11:00pm this year.    We know this will make Rex happy too.

With the Perry Meridian team alone the tournament will have atleast 100 participants.  ;D

I noticed no PM wrestlers was registered after I made my post about numbers.  I figured they woul;d all be entered about the same time.

My contention is that when the two wrestlers go to the mat for the first round Sunday morning, even with the five pound allowance, there will be less of a weight gap between them than ever before.  If there is a wrestler who is always a 75 pounder and he weighes 77 (ready to wrestle) the most his opponent can weigh is 80 (ready to wrestle).  This is saying that the opponent wants to take the chance and cut it close (if he is 80.1 he will not wrestle).  In previous years the kid who can weigh 80 (ready to wrestle) would still have probably cut to 75, but by the time they wrestled for their first match that kid might weigh anywhere between 80 and 90 pounds.  We may well decide to decrease the weight allowance next year. 

I certainly agree that kids should not be cutting weight, but no matter what the format is they will do this as long as parents let them.

I also agree that we might have fewer contestants (we will have to wait and see).  Fewer contestants is not always a bad thing.  I do think that many people will wait until next week to register.  I just hope they do not wait until there is an hour or so to go in Registration to register becasue they could get locked out if there should be an overload.  If someone does not get registered then they do not get registered.

Anyone who wishes can find just about anything they want to know about Middle School State by clicking on the link below:

http://www.newcastlewrestling.com/MSState_information.htm

By the way Jacob...I hope you come.  I do not believe I have ever met you face to face and would like too.  Please introduce yourself.

Sounds reasonable, I think they should declare a weight and then get ready to wrestle, they step on a scale. They either make weight or not. This is the way we did it years ago and it all seemed fair. Trust me, I don`t like the kids weighing in a week ahead of time either.

Good luck on a successful tournament!!! I know there will be some awsome wrestlers there. Should make for a great day of wrestling.

Pre-registration should take care of it.  Starting at 9:00am instead of around 11:00am shoul dmake a big difference too.  All weigh-ins will be done by the end of the first round, and all wrestlers in a given weight class will be in the same boat.  They all have a five  pound weight allowance.  If in spite of all of this they are going without food, and will be hindered if they cannot eat, then I would suggest that maybe they are in the wrong weight class.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.