I.H.S.W.C.A. Middle School State Tournament

Coach Peck

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont mind the matside weigh-in.....BUT singlet, headgear and shoes only weigh 2lbs... I have a Befour scale that is certified and i weghed the stuff and it was 2 pounds.  at the 102lb weight a kid can have a dry weight of 104.5 and still weigh in with shoes, singlet, and headgear and weigh 106.5 and wrestle 102. Gimme a break thats not fair to me!!

I can see a 3lb allowance but not a five.

Thanks >:(

This tournament has historically had the best wrestlers win.  I d0n't think a few pounds makes much of a difference.  If you are a better wrestler then you are still going to beat the other guy regardless if he weighs a few pounds more than you.

As far as weigh-ins at the IHSWCA Middle School State are concerned you will sees some of the rationale for weighing in immediately prior to going to the mat in the FAQ at the link above.  The rules will not change this year.

As far as the five pound weight allowance goes I think it is fair in that with matside weigh-ins a kid who is cutting weight will weigh less when he wrestles his first match than he would if he were to weigh in 1-3 hours before his first match.  If you say that with his singlet and shoes on a wrestler in the 102 pound class weighes 104 pounds that would mean if he weighes in at 107 he would be three pounds over scratch weight for his first match.  With weigh-ins earlier in the morning he might weigh 112-115, and with satellite weigh-ins who knows how much he would weigh. 

Another reason cutting weight and playing it close will not be a good idea is that scales vary to a degree and the official scales will not be available for the wrestlers to check their weight on prior to the weigh-in.  If they get on the scales and the 102 pounder weighes 107.1 he/she will not wrestle. 

This is a little off your current topic, but I am interested in having my son wrestle in Danville, Ill., the tournament that the winners of the IHSWCA  M.S. state tournament go to. My son is in the 5th grade and I heard that he can not compete in the IHSWCA M.S. state tournament, I sent an email asking if he can wrestle but haven't heard anything back, so I guess it is true, he can not. I believe the rules in Danville are, that there are no grade minimums, 5th graders {and below} can wrestle and that anyone can put together their own team, provided all wrestlers are from that state. We have about six pretty good wrestlers that are going on a team that I am trying to put together. Hopefully we can put enough wrestlers together to have a solid team. So if your not intested in the weigh in situation at IHSWCA M.S. state, paying the fee to wrestle at IHSWCA or paying the hundreds {4 or 5?} of dollars to travel two hours away and would like to be on a good team send me an email

smorgan@bgcs.k12.in.us

We have several real good coaches intested in coaching this team.

We will all split the cost of having the team entered and ask for donations for the coaches expenses.

coach Peck.

So as i understand it  the wrestler will arrive at the tournament,  find the place to check-in and present his/her  usa card.  Then will wait until they are called to the mat and weigh in at that time.  Will each mat have a scale or will this be done at a staging area?  Also will this not mean that the heavier weights will have to wait a longer time  2-3 hours after the tournament has already started to weigh in?        I like the idea of  declared weights,    track wrestling can already have all brackets made  and why can the wrestler not weigh in  at the time they present their USA card and be either verified of proper weight or scratched.  Seems like all wrestlers could be weighed in between  7:30  and 9:00 am  with wrestling beginning at 9:30 or so.      MY point is  the 75 lb wrestlers would have weighed in matside first thing in the morning but the heavier weights will have to  hold out to weigh in longer.  Hopefully not past lunch time.

Patriotpride ... I like the way you think!!!    when you come in at 6:30 am there can be 4 scales. there are 17 weight classes... you can have 4 weights at 3 scales and 5 at another... you can go to the correct line for check in and weigh in and there will be no waiting at the mats!!! all scratchs will be done right away.

I.E.      Scale 1    Scale 2    Scale 3    Scale 4

75            95            125          160

80            102          132          175

85            110            140          195

90          117            150          220

They can have all the brackets at the proper scales and have it all done in one simple swoop. All waivers, cards, all done at once.  I hope this may help the powers that be.

Jeff Negrelli  Merrillville Pierce Pirate Wrestling

The first round of the tournament will run extremely fast.  All brackets and mat assignments will be ready when the wrestlers arrive.  There will probably be some kid who do not make weight, which will speed it up even more.  I do not think there will be a big weight time between the 75 and HW, especially if they have mats in the gym on the entry level as well.

I think matside way ins are a great way to go as well. What I feel is foolish is to give a weight allowance. These kids for the most part are coming off their middle school season. They should be at or near their weight. With a singlet  and their shoes on, they are weighing at the most 2 lbs over their weight.

Weigh a kid with his singlet and shoes on and then off. Give the diffwerance as the allowance. What is happening here is unhealthy for kids this young. A kid weighing 75 to a 100 pounds should not be cutting more than 3-4 pounds. Giving these kids the allowance you are gives them a weight advantage of 10-12 pounds.

The ISWA went way out of their way to ensure pedifiles are not allowed around our kids. That is great! Lets go a step further and watch out for their health.

Correction:  USA Wrestling made the decision to have background checks - not ISWA.  ISWA is complying with the new rule.  Maybe the 5 pound allowance is a little too much, but at least the IHSWCA is heading in the right direction with mat side weigh-ins. 

This is a little off your current topic, but I am interested in having my son wrestle in Danville, Ill., the tournament that the winners of the IHSWCA  M.S. state tournament go to. My son is in the 5th grade and I heard that he can not compete in the IHSWCA M.S. state tournament, I sent an email asking if he can wrestle but haven't heard anything back, so I guess it is true, he can not. I believe the rules in Danville are, that there are no grade minimums, 5th graders {and below} can wrestle and that anyone can put together their own team, provided all wrestlers are from that state. We have about six pretty good wrestlers that are going on a team that I am trying to put together. Hopefully we can put enough wrestlers together to have a solid team. So if your not intested in the weigh in situation at IHSWCA M.S. state, paying the fee to wrestle at IHSWCA or paying the hundreds {4 or 5?} of dollars to travel two hours away and would like to be on a good team send me an email

smorgan@bgcs.k12.in.us

We will all split the cost of having the team entered and ask for donations for the coaches expenses.

Are you allowed to do that?  I thought that the teams had to go through the state organization? 

Patriotpride ... I like the way you think!!!    when you come in at 6:30 am there can be 4 scales. there are 17 weight classes... you can have 4 weights at 3 scales and 5 at another... you can go to the correct line for check in and weigh in and there will be no waiting at the mats!!! all scratchs will be done right away.

I.E.       Scale 1     Scale 2    Scale 3     Scale 4

75             95             125           160

80            102           132          175

85            110            140          195

90           117             150          220

They can have all the brackets at the proper scales and have it all done in one simple swoop. All waivers, cards, all done at once.   I hope this may help the powers that be.

Jeff Negrelli   Merrillville Pierce Pirate Wrestling

I agree But I would rather have sattelite weigh-ins because my kid has a match that friday that he has to make weight for.

Mr. Morgan,  The USA Middle School Nationals .

Each wrestler has to wrestle on a sanctioned team from their state. The ISWA sanctions only the 2 teams derived from their qualifier. so, to answer your ?, no, 5th graders from IN cannot participate. I had this battle when my son was in the same position and this was the answer I was given. The reasoning behind their decision was for the safety of the 5th graders competing against 8th graders.

Sorry about the novice attempt at posting--I have never posted before but like all the other guest check out what's going on through the various post but these post inspired me from my passive reader chuckle, shake my head, what are they thinking reader-- to actually respond..  I really don't think it is about$$$$$$ but about CONTROL!  This is the type of action that will take our really strong, competitive national runner -up team and decimate it.  This group will organize this year with a group of strong mostly 5th graders and then for the next 4 years, if allowed take a team back to the tournament pulling other strong wrestlers from the official INDIANA  teams.  Currently the middle school program is the only place where this type of hacking the talent pool hasn't occurred and I believe that is why Indiana is competitive at this event.  It is bad for our state program  and  will totally destroy the honor of making "Team Indiana" . Just one Matside  Ma's opinion

smorgan@bgcs.k12.in.us

Are you allowed to do that?  I thought that the teams had to go through the state organization? 

I dont know about that but arent they only allowed to compete 3 years? Wouldnt that keep them out one of the years that they are True Middle School students.

Mr. Morgan,  The USA Middle School Nationals .

Each wrestler has to wrestle on a sanctioned team from their state. The ISWA sanctions only the 2 teams derived from their qualifier. so, to answer your ?, no, 5th graders from IN cannot participate. I had this battle when my son was in the same position and this was the answer I was given. The reasoning behind their decision was for the safety of the 5th graders competing against 8th graders.

I wonder why ISWA gets to sanction two teams and  no one else can seems very political to me.  The team that beat Indiana was a club from Michigan,  Prodigy from Ohio takes a team.    It's about growing wrestling not controling wrestling.    ISWA needs to loosen their grip on Indiana wrestling.

It becomes controlling and not growing when quality wrestlers are placed on a team vs participating in the qualifying tournament.  After the tournament if teams would like to form and attend more power to the great competitors of Indiana--but don't dilute the talent so that our best wrestlers are divided and not united.  Send the strongest team possible to represent Indiana.  This is good for Indiana wrestling and Indiana wrestlers .

At the youth and middle school level does it really matter? What I meen is. Does it matter to the kids as much as it does to the parent. We as parents spend a large amount of money so our kids can do the best they can be. How many of those kids in the past have went on to be state champions at the high school level? How many kids stopped wrestling once they advanced to high school because they got burnt out on it as a kid? How many of those dominate kids petered out in high school because they peaked as a youth or middle school wrestler?

My point is there are kids who have never wrestled at the youth level and will dominate when they start wrestling in high school. We have kids who have wrestled but have not come close to peaking but have the know how. My guess is that most of the dominate kids at the youth level will either be gone in high school or will beat the average kids but will not win state. I know that there are a few who will dominate but I contend that they will be few and far between.

What do you think?

I think we need to let them have fun and their skill and fortitude will determine who the champions will be when they get to high school.

Could be the best is a 5th grader but it is not their time....just yet!  Let them bring it as a 6th grader and enjoy the experience for 3 years.  Work with the system to grow Indiana wrestling as a whole and not a select group of wrestlers.Their time will come and until then I think you can find tournaments that are intended for them to participate in that will challenge them.

It is within the rules for him to wrestle, according to those running the tournament. It is also within the rules for us to put together a team that he is on, provided all wrestlers are from Indiana, all have USA cards, are not in H.S. as of yet and have not competed in this tournament as an 8th grader two times.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.