I.H.S.W.C.A. Middle School State Tournament

Coach Peck

Here is the information many have been waiting for. We have made a few changes in the Procedure for Registration and Weigh-ins for the Middle School State Tournament hosted by the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association (IHSWCA) at New Castle High School on Sunday February 15, 2009.

EVERYONE MUST BE REGISTERED AND PAID at Track Wrestling by the Thursday prior to the toournament.

THERE WILL BE NO SATELLITE WEIGH-INS PRIOR TO THE TOURNAMENT.

Please read the information at the links below for the information you need to know:

http://www.newcastlewrestling.com/MSState_information.htm

This link also includes some Frequently Asked Questions which will be undated from time to time as other question are brought up.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the start time? What is the link to register online?   What are the weight classes? Where can I get a USA card? Can I buy it at the meet?

This sounds like a great tournament, but lots of valuable information is missing.

Here is the link to tournament information on the ISWA web site.

http://www.iswa.com/2009%20Middle%20School%20State%20Championship.pdf

WEIGHTS: 75 ? 80 ? 85 ? 90 ? 95 ? 102 ? 110 ? 117 ? 125 ? 132 ? 140 ? 150 ? 160 ? 175 ? 195 ? 220 - 275

Obviously weigh-in information has changed and has not been updated on that document.  But I would assume weights will be the same.  USA Card is needed according to the document. 

What ever happened to wrestling at the weight you weigh in at. Why in the world would you aloow 5 extra pounds when you are weighing in at your lightest weight of the day anyway. You should go ahead with the satelite weigh ins a week ahead of time if you are going to do this. You will have people cutting 8-12 pounds for this tournament.

I think matside way ins are a great way to go as well. What I feel is foolish is to give a weight allowance. These kids for the most part are coming off their middle school season. They should be at or near their weight. With a singlet  and their shoes on, they are weighing at the most 2 lbs over their weight.

Weigh a kid with his singlet and shoes on and then off. Give the diffwerance as the allowance. What is happening here is unhealthy for kids this young. A kid weighing 75 to a 100 pounds should not be cutting more than 3-4 pounds. Giving these kids the allowance you are gives them a weight advantage of 10-12 pounds.

The ISWA went way out of their way to ensure pedifiles are not allowed around our kids. That is great! Lets go a step further and watch out for their health.

I dont mind the matside weigh-in.....BUT singlet, headgear and shoes only weigh 2lbs... I have a Befour scale that is certified and i weghed the stuff and it was 2 pounds.  at the 102lb weight a kid can have a dry weight of 104.5 and still weigh in with shoes, singlet, and headgear and weigh 106.5 and wrestle 102. Gimme a break thats not fair to me!!

I can see a 3lb allowance but not a five.

Thanks >:(

I am thankful for the weight allowance because we have a 12 team tournament we are wrestling in on Saturday.  

I do not think kids will cut hard, because it will have a huge impact on their first match and maybe even their second.

Weight allowances are common in wrestling (check the college & high school situations and allowances).  Take into account the following...

2 lbs. for normal equipment

1 lb. for special equipment (knee/elbow braces, mouthpiece, facemask, etc...)

1 lb. for consecutive day of competition i.e., AJ's situation (possibly even 2 lbs. per IHSAA rules)

1 lb. margin of error for kids who don't have certified scales to check on prior to weigh-in

5 lbs. total not that far fetched.

At this point high schools may recieve a total of a 4 pound allowance (from scratch weight), 2 lb. annual growth allowance +1 lb each for the maximum (2 lbs.) of consecutive days of  competition prior to an event.

Just some thoughts not trying to defend or offend anyone ::)

Come on guys there will be 2 pounds at the most between wrestlers if they are close to weight.  They are trying to make this as fair as they can, they got rid of the satelite weigh-ins (we all know how fair they are!)

How fair is it to the kids who wrestle the weight they weigh? There will always be a way for a few to cheat, why make it legal for them? ie they are wrestling 12 pounds over so lets just make it easy for them to do. In a year or two these kids will have to make weight right before their matches. Why not make them learn the right way?

Theres a novel thought and opinion!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.