Team State

niceshot

Wow!!!! Everybody seems to just blow off Cathedral this year.  Big dual coming up Jan 14th.  Perry at Cathedral.  That should give us a bit more info.

I think because Cathedral has already been beaten By Mishawaka and Crown Point .

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!!! Everybody seems to just blow off Cathedral this year.  Big dual coming up Jan 14th.  Perry at Cathedral.  That should give us a bit more info.

I think because Cathedral has already been beaten By Mishawaka and Crown Point .

That is a moot point Mish beat CP worse than Cath.

Cathedral looked like they could have beaten both those teams if a couple swing matches go their way. If McGinly beats Sandefer then it would have a tie. That match could have easilly went in cathedral's favor. With CP the 215 match could have went either way. You could definately tell that buchanon was not yet in wrestling shape. I believe he starts on the football team and they went to state, so that takes away alot of precious practice time to get into "wrestling shape" which as we all know is not the same as football. Also if CP wrestles Cath again don't be suprised if the Wright -Tsirtsis match is close again maybe even going the other way. I think Cathedral definately has the chance to beat both of those teams if they wrestle again, not saying they will but they have a chance. It sure isn't a lock if for CP and Mish as some here think.

That whole paragraph is filled with (if's , could've , should'ves ) . Well it didn't happen , and I  don't think  it will happen . Don't get me wrong , Cathedral is an elite Indiana team , and a top 5 team .

No no your right, if my aunt had nuts she would be my uncle. However why aren't you ripping on CP? They got throttled by Mish. You are probably a region elitist aren't you?  ::)

Not sure who will win...but great matches

Mish - Don't kid yourselves by who they lost. They have a strong program and are starting to look a bit like MD in that they are just reloading as opposed to rebuilding. Plus, they are the champs----you have that until it is taken away.

MD- Very young team. May not get it this year but look for another streak beginning in 2010. Lots of young talent. That said, they have a very good dual team and excellent coaching. They won't lose by more than one match.

Cathedral - They have lost to two very good teams. Don't count them out. Plus Cathedral always seems to do better than expected.

Perry/Crown Point - No offense to you guys but it seems you always underperform. They have the talent but I am just not a believer yet.

It certainly comes down to draws but I think MD/Mish and Cathedral are the top three.

That is a moot point Mish beat CP worse than Cath.

Cathedral looked like they could have beaten both those teams if a couple swing matches go their way. If McGinly beats Sandefer then it would have a tie. That match could have easilly went in cathedral's favor. With CP the 215 match could have went either way. You could definately tell that buchanon was not yet in wrestling shape. I believe he starts on the football team and they went to state, so that takes away alot of precious practice time to get into "wrestling shape" which as we all know is not the same as football. Also if CP wrestles Cath again don't be suprised if the Wright -Tsirtsis match is close again maybe even going the other way. I think Cathedral definately has the chance to beat both of those teams if they wrestle again, not saying they will but they have a chance. It sure isn't a lock if for CP and Mish as some here think.

Cathedral and CP are both capable of beating anyone...

That whole paragraph is filled with (if's , could've , should'ves ) . Well it didn't happen , and I  don't think  it will happen . Don't get me wrong , Cathedral is an elite Indiana team , and a top 5 team .

No no your right, if my aunt had nuts she would be my uncle. However why aren't you ripping on CP? They got throttled by Mish. You are probably a region elitist aren't you?  ::)

A region elitist ?Hardly . Did you read the part where I said Cathedral is a top 5 team ? I just don't think they will win Team State . That is only MY opinion . This is a discussion forum , is it not ?  Aren't we allowed to give our opinions ?  Mishawaka beat  very good Cathedral & Crown Point teams while having 3-4 banged up wrestlers . They are my pick to win it all again .

The Irish have a great shot at team state. A couple of matches go the other way and they beat Mish. and CP. A few footballers round into wrestling shape and they will be State Champs.

FWIW-  I am sure every school had a few football players that needed to get in wrestling shape.

The Irish have a great shot at team state. A couple of matches go the other way and they beat Mish. and CP. A few footballers round into wrestling shape and they will be State Champs.

FWIW-  I am sure every school had a few football players that needed to get in wrestling shape.

FWIW- Not every schools football team made it to state on Nov 29. Cath's football players had less than two weeks of practice before the toughest team tourney of the year.

I know I'm a heretic for what I'm about to say but I have very little interest in team state especially when it coincides with the indivdual post season.  I remember a couple of years ago Austen Ruich of Carroll probably would have rolled to a state appearance when he got injured in team regionals.  He couldn't make it out of individual regionals due to the injury.  The only way I'd get truly excited about team state is if it occurred after the individual tournys were out of the way which I don't think could happen because it would extend the season too long.  I'm sure I'll get ripped for this post but it's what I believe.  That being said, no one will stop Mishawaka.

I know I'm a heretic for what I'm about to say but I have very little interest in team state especially when it coincides with the indivdual post season.  I remember a couple of years ago Austen Ruich of Carroll probably would have rolled to a state appearance when he got injured in team regionals.  He couldn't make it out of individual regionals due to the injury.  The only way I'd get truly excited about team state is if it occurred after the individual tournys were out of the way which I don't think could happen because it would extend the season too long.  I'm sure I'll get ripped for this post but it's what I believe.  That being said, no one will stop Mishawaka.

I agree about Ruich, he was having  a phenomenal season only to dislocate his elbow in a virtually meaningless dual that their team really didn't have much of a chance of winning.  As I have stated earlier, the team state tournament is for basically about 10% of the teams, the other 90% have little to no chance of making an impact on it.  Even more so now that basically 10% of the teams are going to qualify for the series.  Of eight spots that are earned at the team state finals, probably half of them are a given before the season even starts.  That means about 12 teams have a shot at team state out of 310, which is not even 4% of the teams in the state.  There are 20 teams and 200 wrestlers that are missing a day of practice to wrestle in a virtually meaningless dual when they could be working on technique and preparing for the individual series.

Couldn't a head coach forfeit his meaningless dual and let the alternate or thrid place team wrestle?

Same holds true in that many kids get injured in football in games their team has no chance of winning and it keeps them out of the wrestling season. Unfortunate for the young man listed, but that is one example out of how many thousands of wrestlers?

to say its meaning less is way just wrong...is the al smith meaningless? calumet? EMD holiday classic?  perhaps we shouldn't compete unless its the state series, calling this a dumb dual to me is ridiculous, are you saying you wouldn't want more mat time, you would rather practice! I know that for me competing in the Semi State or Regional is exciting and fun, when i ran Cross country, we were not the best,  i was no where near the best but i was still able to run in the Semi State race at New Prairie which if you are a runner, you know is one of the best atmospheres in the world. We lost and did not advance as expected and i finished close to last, but ill tell you i was so glad I got to compete.

Not everyone can be a Regional Qualifier so for some kids its an honor to represent there school even at this low of a level and to deny them a true fee lingof pride is a crime....

to say its meaning less is way just wrong...is the al smith meaningless? calumet? EMD holiday classic?  perhaps we shouldn't compete unless its the state series, calling this a dumb dual to me is ridiculous, are you saying you wouldn't want more mat time, you would rather practice! I know that for me competing in the Semi State or Regional is exciting and fun, when i ran Cross country, we were not the best,  i was no where near the best but i was still able to run in the Semi State race at New Prairie which if you are a runner, you know is one of the best atmospheres in the world. We lost and did not advance as expected and i finished close to last, but ill tell you i was so glad I got to compete.

Not everyone can be a Regional Qualifier so for some kids its an honor to represent there school even at this low of a level and to deny them a true fee lingof pride is a crime....

I just gave you a wahoo for that comment Nick.

Its meaningless because 90% of the teams aren't competing in it and most of them have no shot of making it there.  Its also meaningless because most of the duals are not even close.  Therefore a kid that gets hurt or dinged up that has a legitimate shot at advancing in the individual tournament will be hindered by that.  Also, if you make the trip for one match, and maybe one that is over quickly, the kids that are advancing don't get much out of it.

I won't argue that its not a great experience for the kids, but the loss of valuable practice time to correct mistakes or work on opponent's tendencies is what I'd rather do than go wrestle one match that is probably already determined.

your point, Y2, is very valid and i'm not saying its wrong, I am advocating for those kids who are just kind of thrown in like at 103 and heavyweight (Another topic for me entirely) but while they may have only been able to pull out a 5th place finish in sectionals they can still have the chance to wrestle for a regional title.

The system we have now is fine (but could definitely use some tweaks here and there) A classed dual tournament system to me is the ultimate solution to this ongoing dilemma, but that is my own personal belief

I do not have any experience going to team regional or beyond, but we have hosted it for the past few years.  I cannot argue that the experience for the team is great when you get to that level and then multiply it by 100 at the team state level. 

Its just as I see it now, the team state series is for about 16 teams in the state. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.