Team State

niceshot

Classed or not, my issue with the state series is that it is on the Wednesday before parts of the individual tournament series.  I like the idea of a team tournament, but the format just seems wrong to me.  We even start the team series by using tournament scoring, so the tournament is not even consistent.  I say tweak it if possible.  If it is between getting rid of it and leaving it the way it is, then leave it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say that the state series is for about 16 teams. I agree. Ten years ago is was for 3 teams (and one might argue oone team). However, the focus on the dual team state has improved the quality of wrestling in Indiana. In ten more years maybe there will be 32 teams with a legitimate shot.

I think there are always going to be debates about Team State.  Should it be done post season?  Should coaches sub in back-ups to keep the "starters" healthy? Should it be classed?

Personally, I really enjoy Team State itself, but I will agree that the qualifiers I've been to have typically been yawners.  I think that Y2 was correct when he said that most of the qualifiers are decided long before the actual event.  Most people know the top teams in their areas, and it's usually pretty simple to pick out the "best." That being said....

Every wrestler who has made it to the State Tournament series has done so by wrestling matches, any of which could have resulted in an injury.  There is always that possibility (even practicing in the wrestling room there is the possiblity of an injury that can knock you out for the season).  To say that a wreslter should "sit out" of a match that is "meaningless" is a little presumptuous.  The decision to/not to wrestle must be left up to the individual wrestler and his coach.

My picks for this year: Mish, MD, CP, Cath (top 4 for me)...Mish is still on top as far as I can see.  Regardless of what happens...Good Luck to all the teams busting their butts to make it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.