Great Series Between 2 Wrestlers

XCard

How about Robert Rosbottom vs. Steve Minton in '99.  Minton had like 8 losses and Rosbottom accounted for all but one of these losses I think, the other was to Dan  Jankowski.  They battled all the way from sectionals to the finals at state.  The only blemish on Rosbottom's record that year was to Minton at regionals.  This loss allowed for the big Rosbottom-Jankowski showdown in the semi-state ticket round.  This is what made this series memorable for me.

actually mintons other lose was to my brother dustin pierson from perry meridian but it was at 152 after that lose Minton dropped down to 145

Stand corrected.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this dates me, but I remember Walt Gibson from Jennings County and Chuck Pyle from New Albany at around 138 lbs. They wrestled each other numerous times and it was always good stuff. That was around 1976 or 77. Anybody else remember these 2 guys?

One that was just last year was Cooper Samuels of Floyd Central and J.T Jenkins of New Albany, they wrestled 6 times and were seconds away from seven if J.T coulda beat Graber in the semi finals, even though Samuels won all these matches they were very fun to watch

Last year between Churchard and Roach.  Sectional, Regional, Semi, and State final all won by Churchard but very good matches.  Ryan Lee from Michigan City and David Torres from Portage had some good battles in 98.(Placed 5th and 7th at state 215)  Tabor beating Jankowski in the state final and Jankowski returning the favor in the team final.  Minor smoking Stone at 135 in 99 semi-state final and Stone returning the favor at state final.

Kevin Carr vs.  Anthony Lapsley @145.  Went overtime at the Al Smith.  Huge scramble, in which Lapsley came out of it having Carr in a head lock and pinned him.  Carr returned the favor at the FW Semi-State by killing Lapsley 8-1?  The rubber match was won by Lapsley in the State Championship by around the same score in which he lost at Semi-State.

One of the last great series between SAC wrestlers was Stacy Beatty vs. Greg Wagner.  Wagner's junior year he lost at SS to Beatty after blowing a 3 point lead with 10 seconds left and getting thrown to his back.  I am pretty sure that he lost a similar match on the season to him as well.  Andy Nicola may have more details on this series.  Wagoner would be a state runner-up to Fryer of Whitelad, whom Beatty defeated on the season by a score of 10-2.  Ironically, Wagner was tossed by Fryer at the end of the match blowing a lead as well.

ontherise,

I know I started this topic and mentioned series between 2 wrestlers, but what about the 3 way between Ramos/Maldonado/Hernandez in 2000.  I believe they were the Ranked top 3 in the state going into Sectionals.  Ramos beat Hernandez once at Semi-State and Maldonado three times that year. Once at Mishawaka, Semi-State, and State respectively.  Maldonado/Hernandez split their series 1-1 during Sectionals and Regionals. 

On a side note, that was the only year Alex Dolly did not qualify for State.  Drew Bobby Joe in the ticket round and watched a guy he beat at Regionals go on to place 4th in the State.  He definitely qualifies in my eyes had there been wrestle backs in place. 

Rosenbalm from Merrillville vs. ? from Chesterton back in 89 or 90 at 125 or so.  Rosenbalm won every match between the two in the finals that year from Sectionals to State and a couple matches during the year. 

1975    155lbs  State Champion Steve Reid of Ben Davis vs the Southprt wrestler, I belive his last name was Pittman, not sure tho.  They meet in a dual meet, and in the finals at  the county, conference (?), sectionals, regionals and state. Reid winning all but one of the matches, including the state championship.

ontherise,

I know I started this topic and mentioned series between 2 wrestlers, but what about the 3 way between Ramos/Maldonado/Hernandez in 2000.  I believe they were the Ranked top 3 in the state going into Sectionals.  Ramos beat Hernandez once at Semi-State and Maldonado three times that year. Once at Mishawaka, Semi-State, and State respectively.  Maldonado/Hernandez split their series 1-1 during Sectionals and Regionals. 

On a side note, that was the only year Alex Dolly did not qualify for State.  Drew Bobby Joe in the ticket round and watched a guy he beat at Regionals go on to place 4th in the State.  He definitely qualifies in my eyes had there been wrestle backs in place. 

Also add in Jeff Nykos Penn who was 4th that Year, Mike Chandler Portage who lost in the ticket Rd to Rene was only a SQ but was tough as nails and Jeff Azbill Calumet was a So. went on to be SQ and 3rd he lost to Ramos in the Ticket Rd one of the Toughest Semi States I can Remember

Rosenbalm from Merrillville vs. ? from Chesterton back in 89 or 90 at 125 or so.  Rosenbalm won every match between the two in the finals that year from Sectionals to State and a couple matches during the year. 

I believe his name was Jeff Aaron from Chesterton.

• 1 month later...

How about Matt Jaggers, New Castle VS Erik Johnson, Yorktown. they only wrestled eachother during the Ytown-NC Duals, and semi State. Every match was a nail biter. I believe the last match they wrestled, Johnson lead 2-1 throughout the whole match, and jaggers won with a Takedown in the last 20-30 seconds.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.