Class AAA  (1427-3311)

Bedford North Lawrence

Evansville North

Evansville Reitz

Ft. Wayne Northside

Ft. Wayne Snider

North Central

Richmond

Is this tournament a blind draw and who are the favorites at each weight? I see Union County so obviously Duckworth at 171 and Phillips at 103. Cathedral will have McGinleys,Wright,Harvey and Sullivan but at what weights will each be at? Reitz will Kuhnat 103 and Johns at 119. Looks like 103 and 119 will have the most ranked wrestlers especially if Raley is healthy enough to wrestle.Anyone have a prediction of the top two at each weight?

December 30 & 31, 2008

Weigh-Ins

Day 1 (Tuesday) 7:00 AM

Day 2 (Wednesday) 7:00 AM

Wrestling

Day 1 (Tuesday) 9:00 AM ? 10:00 PM

Day 2 (Wednesday) 8:30 AM ?  6:30 PM

Championship 3:30 PM -    6:30 PM

Is this tournament a blind draw and who are the favorites at each weight? I see Union County so obviously Duckworth at 171 and Phillips at 103. Cathedral will have McGinleys,Wright,Harvey and Sullivan but at what weights will each be at? Reitz will Kuhnat 103 and Johns at 119. Looks like 103 and 119 will have the most ranked wrestlers especially if Raley is healthy enough to wrestle.Anyone have a prediction of the top two at each weight?

Is Raley at 112 or 119?  Has he been sick or injured?  You said he may not be healthy enough to wrestle.

I've never understood why there couldn't be a simple seeding system that didn't involve a seeding meeting.  Anything is better than nothing in that you could at least put the cream of the crop in separate sections of the bracket.  Here's a very simple seeding procedure that would make a big difference in seeing the best matches later in the tournament:

1. Best finish at state finals (any year)

2. State qualifier (any year)

3. Semi-state qualifier (any year)

4. Best placement at Connersville (must be Top 8; any year)

5. Current season win/loss pct. (minimum 10 matches)

Seed the Top 8.  Blind draw the rest. 

As I said, this system would not be as effective as a seeding meeting that analyzes head-to-head matchups and schedule strength and such, but it would at least distribute the majority of the top wrestlers.  It would require only a simple pre-tourney info sheet from coaches and only a little more time for the tournament organizers.

Any thoughts?

I look for Mt. Vernon (Posey) to move up several spots from their 2007 finish (below) and the youngsters from Reitz should give Cathedral a run.  Top 3 - Cathedral, Reitz, Mt. Vernon (posey)

1- Reitz 290.5

2- Cathedral 247.5

3- South Dearborn 176

4- Roncolli 147.5

5- Hamilton Heights 147

6- Greenfield Central 144

7- Ev. North 143

8- Milan 141.5

9- Mt. Vernon Posey 140.5

10- Dekalb 134

Tri High dropped this to better there team. I believe they had 4 placers last year, but for the rest it was mostly 2 and out.

Just some thoughts on the Classic....

No seeding is just not right. Even if you split the top 4 wrestlers, it would make a difference.

And teams there need to be at a closer level to Cathedral, or they need to ask Cathedral to move on to something bigger. All teams will have some great individuals, but only 2 or 3 teams will have all their wrestlers get more then 3 matches. For the  younger teams this tourney could take them back a few steps.

I have seen some outstanding wrestling at Connersville, but there are ways to make it better for everyone.

Jerry

Tri High dropped this to better there team. I believe they had 4 placers last year, but for the rest it was mostly 2 and out.

No seeding is just not right. Even if you split the top 4 wrestlers, it would make a difference.

And teams there need to be at a closer level to Cathedral, or they need to ask Cathedral to move on to something bigger. All teams will have some great individuals, but only 2 or 3 teams will have all their wrestlers get more then 3 matches. For the  younger teams this tourney could take them back a few steps.

I have seen some outstanding wrestling at Connersville, but there are ways to make it better for everyone.

Jerry

Jerry i will agree with you on the seeding process, but to ask cathedral to leave this tourney i think would be a great loss, i also don't know if there is anything going on those two days that is bigger than the Connersville tournament. Once again 25 wrestlers that are currently ranked will be here, also if you want your team to have more matches maybe you should just solely wrestle dual meets.

Jerry

how does dropping a tournament like the spartan classic better your team coach? yes i understand that some of your guys are only getting two matches, but how many are they going to be getting now that they arent wrestling at the classic? yes cathedral is a power house, but there are several teams there that can compete, and its a great way for wrestlers to get a look at possible matchups down the road at semi-state and state. you cant dodge cathedral for an entire season. if anything i thing you hurt a team by taking out of this tournament, especially for a smaller school like tri, because when it comes time to wrestler the tougher opponents, you arent ready.

See thats easy to say when your looking at a team from the outside. Tri has 2 great individuals on the team, so the individual tourney only helps them while the rest suffer. That is why I did mostly go to a dual format schedule.

Three years ago I reffed the North Mont. duals. Portage, Highland, Warren, Carmel, No. Mo. , and W. Vigo. , Perry, and some other top team. Two days of wrestling,  and 7 solid  matches. I would say this would compare. Again, I think Connersville  is a  great tourney for some schools but not for others. When it is all done, someone put some stats together of how many teams had more then 5 wrestlers get 3 or more matches. I predict Cathedral to have double if not triple more wrestlers place then the second place team.

Tri High up there duals by 4 dropping this meet. That is 4 more times my freshmen and sophmores can gain some much needed mat time to get them ready for conference and sectional. 90% of my teams goal is to place high in both and make it to regionals. It all comes down to each teams needs. My individuals that are good will be moved around to wrestle the better competition in dual meets.

Jerry

See thats easy to say when your looking at a team from the outside. Tri has 2 great individuals on the team, so the individual tourney only helps them while the rest suffer. That is why I did mostly go to a dual format schedule.

Three years ago I reffed the North Mont. duals. Portage, Highland, Warren, Carmel, No. Mo. , and W. Vigo. , Perry, and some other top team. Two days of wrestling,  and 7 solid  matches. I would say this would compare. Again, I think Connersville  is a  great tourney for some schools but not for others. When it is all done, someone put some stats together of how many teams had more then 5 wrestlers get 3 or more matches. I predict Cathedral to have double if not triple more wrestlers place then the second place team.

Tri High up there duals by 4 dropping this meet. That is 4 more times my freshmen and sophmores can gain some much needed mat time to get them ready for conference and sectional. 90% of my teams goal is to place high in both and make it to regionals. It all comes down to each teams needs. My individuals that are good will be moved around to wrestle the better competition in dual meets.

Jerry

you pick up two more matches by dropping the spartan classic, where a wrestler could possibly get 7 matches? I know not all of your kids will get that many, but still there is that chance, and the classic has a ton of quality wrestlers. Not sure who you picked up in the duals this year, but if they are crapy teams, then they get no experience from that. Cathedral will have several wrestlers make the placings, because they are a good team, if you are going by what you said then lets just not wrestle and give it all to cathedral. that is in fact while we wrestle because of the upsets that we can see. Cathedral has had some great wrestlers at the classic that have been upset by other wrestlers from smaller lesser schools, and thats what makes this sport great. as for bumping you kids to get better matches, what happened to leeka vs phillips from uc?

Your kids get better wrestling kids that are their equal or that are better than them. If you dodge anyone who might beat you ,when its time for regionals and semi state your kids have good records but are not prepared . Your program will get better only by wrestling better competition . Not by having a junior who is the defending conference champ dodge a freshman ( who bumped up to wrestle him) on the first week of the season . So dropping the classic ( IMO ) hurts your program more than it helps.

I moved guys around to try and win as a team. You guys think you got it all figured out. Leeka didn't dodge anyone, the COACH moved him. I believe that match was alot closer then the score said.  There was a 2 match swing witch could have happen at 152,160. Not wrestling Phillips, may have lost us 3 or 6 . I'm sorry but this is not Jr. High where we always look for the best match up. We want to win as a team.

I totally agree about wrestling the best competition. Everyone that knows me, knows that I'm out every weekend on the off season. I'm year round training to still be a better wrestler and coach. My point on the Classic was that there will be a big difference in between the top 2 and the rest of the field. At least seeding some of it might lessen that gap. Also, as a team, Connersville was not right for Tri. Drop Connersville for 5 duals for 14 weight classes sounded better.

I am not sure what Tri's schedule looks like but for Indian Creek an individual tourney the caliber of this really helps our good wrestlers get a feeling of where they stand compared to some of the other top wrestlers in the state.  I think as a coach you have to make sure you have your best wrestlers prepared for later in the year and if you do not wrestle any tough opponents (Cathedral) then you are doing them a disservice. The team will get enough mat time for the average kids at team tourneys but the tough kids need to see some good competition and get the feel for wrestling in abracketed tourney. We have 3 undefeated wrestlers that will have the chance to see quite a few ranked wrestlers in their class. Win or lose it is a good lesson and they will better prepared for tourney time.