IndianaMat.com's Pound for Pound Rankings **Updated 12/15**

Y2CJ41

Must say Im loving the new site so far.  Like the addition of these rankings, reminds me of the endless MMA p4p discussion.

My top 10

1. Quiroga

2. Harper

3. Wright

4. Roach

5. McMurray

6. Eppert

7. Shrewsbury

8. Duckworth

9. Porras

10. Tsirtsis

1. Cashe- To be the best, you have to beat the best. Cashe has beaten a who's who of Indiana wrestlers this year and tried to face Harper. Quiroga is at the top of his game so far this season.

2. Harp- Bunged up shoulder and all, he dominated his matches at the Traicoff. It's very, very hard to bet against this kid in the context of the state of Indiana.

3. McMurray- Pins everyone and then lets God sort 'em out. Helping to bring Portage back to its former glory.

4. Tsirtsis- To me, P4P is all about right now, and right now Tsirtsis is bringing the lumber. Almost knocked off Quiroga in addition to knocking off Wright.

5. Roach- The prodigy is going to be tough for anyone to beat.

6. Wright- Had a rough weekend, dropping two very close matches. Came very close to beating Quiroga. He's been a late season peaker in his previous 2 HS seasons, so I expect him to rise before the season is over.

7. Eppert-Close losses to elite wrestlers shouldn't be overly penalized. He's still quite capable of beating the best kids in Indiana.

8. Sandefur-Just win, baby. Doesn't always dominate, but seems to always find a way to win.

9. Duckworth-National credentials + favorite to win his first state title this season. Obviously, Atwood and others will have something to say about that...

10a. March-Pillar of consistency, looking to get over the hump to win his first title.

10b. Shrewsbury-Will he lose at all this season? Will he even be strongly tested??

A few comments about the latest edition of the pound-for-pound rankings:

1. Raley is mentioned in the Honorable Mention category when two guys ranked higher in his weight class on this website (Brooks/Johns) are not listed anywhere.  Let's not forget that these two were literally an eyelash below Eppert/Wright last year.  I've seen a number of people argue that Raley should be in these rankings, but I just don't see it yet.  Maybe at 103, but not at 119 this year.

2. Wright (a national champion who destroys anyone not of national prominence) drops back behind Sandefur, who is a nice wrestler for Indiana but is simply not the same caliber in the national context.  We fall in love with wins/losses and forget to keep it all in the context of the competition that's being faced.

3. I'd have a hard time not putting Harper #1 on an Indiana High School list.  He's beaten Quiroga three times and is much better at folkstyle than freestyle.  He's best on the mat, and this just doesn't come into play on the national freestyle scene (or in shortened folkstyle matches).  Head-to-head at the same weight in high school/college rules, I'd pick him against anyone in Indiana.

One more question somewhat unrelated: Where would Mitchell Richey be on a list like this if he were wrestling in a top program?  I don't think I've been more impressed by the talent of anyone at the state finals the past couple years, yet he probably won't ever wrestle under the lights because of his rough edges and slightly lesser conditioning.  Is he another freaky Brennan Cosgrove-type talent that just hasn't been fully tapped?

So is McMurray cerified at 145 ? The Merrilville Semistate going to be rough and tumble whit Young and Almarazer and who else knows maybe Hall bumps back up to 145 ?

Indeed, I am certified to wrestle at 145 lbs.  For now, though, I am wrestling, healthy, at 152.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.