Matches in a Season

Looking on the IHSAA website at some wrestling history, and the Super 3 of Griffith wrestled 60+ matches that season en route to individual state championships. There was an asterisk placed next to their records to note that this did not include their matches at Team State the next weekend. With the results reading that they all won their matches, Alex Tsirtsis wrestled 65 matches with no losses with Hernandez and Escobedo wrestling 64 with no losses. Insane. I can't imagine that today.

Looking on the IHSAA website at some wrestling history, and the Super 3 of Griffith wrestled 60+ matches that season en route to individual state championships. There was an asterisk placed next to their records to note that this did not include their matches at Team State the next weekend. With the results reading that they all won their matches, Alex Tsirtsis wrestled 65 matches with no losses with Hernandez and Escobedo wrestling 64 with no losses. Insane. I can't imagine that today.

During the regular season they only wrestled super duals, no single dual meets. Thus they had many more matches. Not long after those guys graduated the IHSAA made a rule that you MUST use 4 of your schedule points for single duals.

Even with our current rules, if you could find a two-day super dual with 8-10 matches every weekend you could get 70+ matches.

A Harrison(WL) kid could potentially have this opportunity if they made team state.

But if they made team state, they'd have to drop a tourney, so matches would probably stay the same

I know New Castle used to wrestle a ton more matches in a season that most schools.  Several of their kids would have around 45 matches going into the tournament.  I also remember Tipton kids having 40 something matches going into sectionals a few years back.  That is a lot of matches!  I don't remember entering sectionals with more than 35 matches.

While we are talking about the number of matches! Is it best to wrestle 50 plus or cut it down 15 or so?

I mean, I don't know. I was always kind of mixed on this topic. I could see where wrestling so much so often would make kids not like the sport, but I feel like wrestling so many matches also can make kids get a lot better. Typically, you wrestle the most matches in the "offseason," but in season it can give you waves of momentum going into the postseason.

I am a big fan of the Al Smith.  I know it is a long and grueling tournament (especially if you get thrown in wrestle backs), but I feel that good kids really benefit from this type of competition.  It is a good measuring stick to gauge where you are and an excellent opportunity to see kids that you might not otherwise see.  It exposes weaknesses early enough in the season that athletes and coaches have time to make adjustments whereas if you just had dual meets and did not see that competition, you might not rise to the highest level.

Coaches have many different philosophies on this.

There are so many different factors that go into a schedule that there is no cookie cutter approach.

When I first took over coaching I added matches and thought it was best. Then they started requiring dual meets and I felt it helped some of my kids a little less wear and tear.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.