Best Matches to Rewatch?

39 minutes ago, bdoss4545 said:

Doss- Graham semis (should have went OT Doss take down end of 2nd.) but I’m clearly biased.

lots of action for little scoring. 

Fun match between friends 

Great call. Unbiased, that was an outstanding match. Bryce is peaking at the right time!

6 hours ago, CCWPhwt said:

Both of these matches were awesome! Def. kept you on the edge of your seat no matter which wrestler you were rooting for. Kincaide really impressed me, and I did not believe he was a freshman at first. Had to check to make sure I heard it right...I believe that kid has a very bright future in front of him.

Overall I thought there was a ton of great wrestling at NC yesterday.

After having wrestled both Kincaide and Foster earlier in the season, I was firmly under the impression that Foster would not have trouble with him.  Foster in the postseason pinned me in the first period and teched me in the second at sectional and regionals respectively.  Meanwhile Kincaide only beat me by major early in the season, and I did not expect too much improvement from him being in the Noblesville room.  I made it into the ticket round against Kincaide, and I was expecting to wrestle him to the final whistle again, hoping to just give a regular decision or maybe even pull off the upset.  Instead, he pinned me in 30 seconds this time.  Then he pinned Foster in the 2nd period.  Then he took Cashman to overtime.  Honestly I thought he was going to win it by the end.  Point is, that kid is going to be a multi-time state placer and maybe champion if he keeps going like this.

1 minute ago, Jaedyn Jeffries said:

Point is, that kid is going to be a multi-time state placer and maybe champion if he keeps going like this.

I would agree with your assessment. Kids solid. With your account of previous matches against him that is some amazing improvement on the year. Still got a ton of growing to do as a freshman as well...I look forward to following him over the new few years.

6 hours ago, Nate Spangle said:

Volz vs Lian is worth the price of FloPro. Absolutely wild heart by the Freshman

Lian controlled the whole match, very disappointing for the senior BUT, you can't stop wrestling until the buzzer.

6 hours ago, Chris Cooper said:

I don’t think that was illegal, I would be curious to an official’s interpretation though.  He didn’t tuck his head and roll(which I believe is illegal).  The bottom wrestler did not have the top wrestler’s arms/hands tied up either.

Only watching video with limited sound(which certainly doesn’t tell the whole story), minus the hand gesture, I see about the same behavior by the winning wrestler in both this match and the 138 finals at New Castle.  Unsportsmanlike, probably… flagrant misconduct and DQ, no, not in either case.

You definitely missed the volume and what was said. It was disgusting the way WC athletes, coaches and fans were. I've been around awhile and seen/heard some bad sportsmanship! this one will be remembered for a long time.

9 hours ago, TrueRegionFan said:

Concerning the end of the 126 match and the behavior displayed....The losing wrestler after he got pinned, he called the winning wrestler a little beeyotch,  This prompted the behavior.  Unfortunately it wasn't just contained to the two teenage wrestlers in the heat of the moment, the Merrillville coach showed his lack of maturity and tried to join the party.  As @ontherise219mentioned, these two teams won't be sending Xmas cards to each other.  During the dual meet earlier in the year it got pretty chippy too.  

Crown Point received 3 Unsportsmanlikes yesterday. Including after this match when he stands over the losing wrestler and calls him a little beeyotch. Then instead of learning his lesson the wrestlers goes to the Merrillville corner and tries to get into it with the kids brother and dad (you know the guy who has the lack of maturity).

Oh wait, because holier than thou Crown Point coaches have such great maturity. Last week telling a kid to go eat a d. And then the same coach arguing a clear slam yesterday. And then proceeding to walk over to the injured wrestler and intimidate the coaches and wrestler to get up. And then another coach coming out of the stands to argue the same slam. (Something he shouldn’t have been allowed to do anyway.) The same coaches that during a match at Team State threw a rule book after all three of them went to the table to argue a call that didn’t go their way. (Also, not allowed as only 1 coach may go to the table to argue.) This year has become too much. 

If my AD got 3 Unsportsmanlike reports in a day, my job would be posted the next day.

24 minutes ago, grifffan said:

Crown Point received 3 Unsportsmanlikes yesterday. Including after this match when he stands over the losing wrestler and calls him a little beeyotch. Then instead of learning his lesson the wrestlers goes to the Merrillville corner and tries to get into it with the kids brother and dad (you know the guy who has the lack of maturity).

Oh wait, because holier than thou Crown Point coaches have such great maturity. Last week telling a kid to go eat a d. And then the same coach arguing a clear slam yesterday. And then proceeding to walk over to the injured wrestler and intimidate the coaches and wrestler to get up. And then another coach coming out of the stands to argue the same slam. (Something he shouldn’t have been allowed to do anyway.) The same coaches that during a match at Team State threw a rule book after all three of them went to the table to argue a call that didn’t go their way. (Also, not allowed as only 1 coach may go to the table to argue.) This year has become too much. 

If my AD got 3 Unsportsmanlike reports in a day, my job would be posted the next day.

Concerning the three coaches arguing a call at team state, I believe it was two of them, but I could be wrong.  The coaches were correct and the call on the mat was incorrect.  However, I agree with you, the throwing of the rule book was not a good look and probably warranted a team point deduction.

The rest of your rant is laughable. 

Good luck to you and your team at state this weekend!

13 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

138: new castle finals Kyrell Leavel vs Gavin whitehead 

Watching the end of that match, if that isn’t a DQ in Indiana I am not sure what needs to be. 

*** before any one says you don’t want to see a kids career ended like that, judging by his actions I don’t believe he cared 

These student athletes have to be set to a standard, we have kids in the stands emulating and looking up to these guys!

How in the world does this warrant just an unsportsmanlike no diff than a ref getting upset for a coach yelling stalling.

These two actions are not the same and require different outcomes. We condone this behavior and the sport goes backwards and no kids worry about consequences. Honestly a shame if nothing gets done! Ihsaa or the school should take action! Ihsaa always post be the face of sportsmanship so here is the chance to show repercussions for actions when certain gestures are made. Dissapointing! 

Kudos to gavyn for showing composure considering all that happened

Edited by jshep86

4 hours ago, bluemonster said:

You definitely missed the volume and what was said. It was disgusting the way WC athletes, coaches and fans were. I've been around awhile and seen/heard some bad sportsmanship! this one will be remembered for a long time.

Some of the Warren coaches were WAY too ready to scrap, some of them on the other hand did the right thing and tried to defuse the situation. 

Edited by CainBones

7 hours ago, jshep86 said:

These student athletes have to be set to a standard, we have kids in the stands emulating and looking up to these guys!

How in the world does this warrant just an unsportsmanlike no diff than a ref getting upset for a coach yelling stalling.

These two actions are not the same and require different outcomes. We condone this behavior and the sport goes backwards and no kids worry about consequences. Honestly a shame if nothing gets done! Ihsaa or the school should take action! Ihsaa always post be the face of sportsmanship so here is the chance to show repercussions for actions when certain gestures are made. Dissapointing! 

Kudos to gavyn for showing composure considering all that happened

🤣

15 hours ago, Jaedyn Jeffries said:

After having wrestled both Kincaide and Foster earlier in the season, I was firmly under the impression that Foster would not have trouble with him.  Foster in the postseason pinned me in the first period and teched me in the second at sectional and regionals respectively.  Meanwhile Kincaide only beat me by major early in the season, and I did not expect too much improvement from him being in the Noblesville room.  I made it into the ticket round against Kincaide, and I was expecting to wrestle him to the final whistle again, hoping to just give a regular decision or maybe even pull off the upset.  Instead, he pinned me in 30 seconds this time.  Then he pinned Foster in the 2nd period.  Then he took Cashman to overtime.  Honestly I thought he was going to win it by the end.  Point is, that kid is going to be a multi-time state placer and maybe champion if he keeps going like this.

Agreed! He looked great Saturday. 

On 2/11/2024 at 8:57 AM, ontherise219 said:

138: new castle finals Kyrell Leavel vs Gavin whitehead 

Watching the end of that match, if that isn’t a DQ in Indiana I am not sure what needs to be. 

*** before any one says you don’t want to see a kids career ended like that, judging by his actions I don’t believe he cared 

Pretty theatrical if you ask me.

Regarding NC 138 finals

disclaimers:  I intend to focus only on the actions on the mat and seen on camera.  I intend to remain as impartial as possible and acknowledge that I have a bias towards NC having coached within the program and my family is from NC.  

having worn the stripes in the past, what I saw was extremely disrespectful to the sport, the opponent, the offending athletes coaches and the offending athletes own dignity and integrity along with the state as a whole.  That said, time to move on and grow from this.  

personally, and after refreshing myself on the rules, having worn the stripes in the past, I’d have assessed the situation as follows

1. Pinfall

2. USLC during match against wC contestant, deduct 1 team point

3. USLC during match against NC contestant, deduct 1 tm point.

Regardless of opinion, retaliation should be penalized.  NC having to be restrained by refs warrants USLC

4. USLC during match against WC Contestant after second gesture. Deduct 1 team point. 

5. Coach misconduct during match against WC. Deduct 1 team point. I call this because of the coaches failure to control the contestant, as ultimately the coaching staff and administration is responsible for the team/athletes conduct. 

despite the actions being what they were, I can’t see where Flagrant Misconduct should be called. 

fan misconduct does not affect teams or athletes, but can result in fans being removed from the premises.  

Now, it’s been a while since I was a ref so I could be wrong.  I’m basing this on how I saw it and the current NFHS penalty chart. Regardless, I still can’t see where anyone should be removed from the state meet. 

All I know is every coaches meeting I have attended this year the head official stressed that the IHSAA wanted to specifically emphasize respect and sportsmanship this season.  The head official almost always followed that up with a notice that the referees would be vigilant of any "out of characteristic" behaviors during or at the conclusion of a match.  At some events, the referees even gave examples such as excessive celebrations or and taunting being among the situations the IHSAA was concerned about cracking down on.  Then the officials pointed out that coaches needed to make sure their wrestlers were aware that any Unsportsman-like Conduct Penalty would carry over with the wrestlers through the entire course of that event.  With two ULC or one Flagrant Misconduct resulting in that wrestler being eliminated from the competition and in this case the entire tournament series.  I'm assuming a very similar speech was provided at all of the state's tournament series sites across the state.

While emotions do occasionally run high with teenagers in this sport and I hate to see anyone eliminated from the State series over one quick decision, I'm not sure any coach or wrestler can honestly say the warning wasn't very clear all season on what could potentially happen to the wrestler if things got out of hand on the mat. 

Edited by MattM