Team State Qualifying Formula?

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I would guess in the next day or two. As always the ratings to determine the ever controversial sectional and regional strength took a few tries to get ironed out. I know maligned is working on it though.

Yes, I think some of this season’s intriguing sectional and regional realignments caused a lot of ironing to be done.

46 minutes ago, piscis1956 said:

Yes, I think some of this season’s intriguing sectional and regional realignments caused a lot of ironing to be done.

It's actually more of the dual and tournament results. There are minor things that happen to the data like not having JV listed or stuff like that.

1 hour ago, piscis1956 said:

You're right, there were some changes in the Indy and south/southwest sites because of all the moving.

"Categories" are tabulated based on how many collective projected regional or semi-state qualifiers there are at a given site. An average-level site is Category 4, meaning there are roughly 4 advancement-level kids per weight class at that site. So moving schools around definitely impacts things. For example, if you move two schools into one sectional that would be expected to get 18 through and move out two schools expected to get only 4 through, you've jumped a Category level right there (+18 - 4 = +14 = 1 per weight extra advancement-level kids). A site that was a Category 4 before would then become a Category 5 and receive advancement points for 5 kids instead of 4.

I've got all the data out to our data managers already, but I need some more time to get out the Procedures doc later today.

Edited by maligned

51 minutes ago, maligned said:

You're right, there were some changes in the Indy and south/southwest sites because of all the moving.

"Categories" are tabulated based on how many collective projected regional or semi-state qualifiers there are at a given site. An average-level site is Category 4, meaning there are roughly 4 advancement-level kids per weight class at that site. So moving schools around definitely impacts things. For example, if you move two schools into one sectional that would be expected to get 18 through and move out two schools expected to get only 4 through, you've jumped a Category level right there (+18 - 4 = +14 = 1 per weight extra advancement-level kids). A site that was a Category 4 before would then become a Category 5 and receive advancement points for 5 kids instead of 4.

I've got all the data out to our data managers already, but I need some more time to get out the Procedures doc later today.

I sure don't envy your calculations when it comes to the shift our sectional had this year and its additional effect on the regional.

20 minutes ago, brickfor6 said:

@maligned Will the Hobart Regional still be rated the lowest? 

Ha...locked in for life.  

There are actually no Category 2s at any site this year. You're one of many 3s.

35 minutes ago, brickfor6 said:

@maligned Will the Hobart Regional still be rated the lowest? 

The Lake Central move added about 8 expected semi-state qualifiers (assuming an "average" site) to your regional, and the rest of the regional collectively improved slightly. You're closer to a 4 than a 2 now, actually.

Edited by maligned

25 minutes ago, MattM said:

I sure don't envy your calculations when it comes to the shift our sectional had this year and its additional effect on the regional.

Thanks for the compassion, but it's all pretty streamlined now. We just have to move the teams around and the calculations happen pretty automatically.

2 minutes ago, brickfor6 said:

So are we a 4 or a 3?

We will take 4 if thats an option lol

Sorry to confuse you. I mentioned you're a 3 in the comment right before the remark that you're closer to a 4 than a 2.

I believe the new classification data is set to come out sometime this spring. Assuming that the data comes out after the first Team State Standings, will those classifications get updated and be used for next years' State Duals when the numbers come out?

On 1/29/2024 at 3:32 PM, bomber_bob said:

I believe the new classification data is set to come out sometime this spring. Assuming that the data comes out after the first Team State Standings, will those classifications get updated and be used for next years' State Duals when the numbers come out?

If the new data is released before the end of the tournament, we'll use it. Often it has been historically. However, it was released far after the season last cycle. Because of that, we're currently in the process of studying up-to-date DOE numbers to be sure they're viable and fair for all schools anywhere near any cut lines. If they are, we'll use DOE numbers this year unless a State Finals hard deadline for IHSAA publishing is met.

14 minutes ago, maligned said:

If the new data is released before the end of the tournament, we'll use it. Often it has been historically. However, it was released far after the season last cycle. Because of that, we're currently in the process of studying up-to-date DOE numbers to be sure they're viable and fair for all schools anywhere near any cut lines. If they are, we'll use DOE numbers this year unless a State Finals hard deadline for IHSAA publishing is met.

Not sure what your process is for finding the DOE school attendance numbers, but the 2nd of the two official DOE school “Count Days” is tomorrow (Thursday).  The attendance number provided by schools for that specific day would be used to decide the enrollment for the school year.  So the school numbers may shift once school submit their data and it works through the DOE system.  How long that takes is anyone’s guess. Also, I’m not sure if that becomes the new reliable number or if it gets average with the number from the 1st “Count Day” which occurred in October. 

Edited by MattM

Just now, MattM said:

Not sure what your process is for finding the DOE school attendance numbers, but the 2nd of the two official DOE school “Count Days” is tomorrow (Thursday).  The attendance number provided by schools for that specific day would be used to decide the enrollment for the school year.  So the school numbers may shift once school submit their data and it works through the DOE system.   I’m not sure if that becomes the new reliable number or if it gets average with the number from the 1st “Count Day” which occurred in October. 

It will take too much time for that to be published, so we're going with the numbers from October, knowing they're more accurate than February 2022 and hoping the IHSAA publishes its version in the next couple weeks.