Final Wrestle-off Question

We do earlier than conference even--first weekend of January. Barring injury, kids should all have made their way to the weight they want by then and gives them the month of January to wrestle people at that weight for seeding criteria and such. Also ensures they have the 6 qualifying weigh ins on time and nobody is forcing me into last minute changes.

In my opinion, Kids should know by the first week after the allowance hits how their bodies feel and what weight they perform best at. Pushing it any later can cause friction in the line-up and doesn't allow any build up of seeding criteria at that weight. To be fair, I care a great deal more about the team aspect of the sport than some coaches, who see it truly as an individual sport only, which drives my decision making on this.

Personally, I like the three wrestle-off method.

Wrestle-off #1a

First one is about this time of year where you establish the first pecking order. Only one "finals" match due to time constraints with events.

Wrestle-off #1b

Over Thanksgiving you have wrestlers challenge, you can only challenge up one rung of the ladder, but keep going if you win. This is where the #2 can challenge #1 for the second match. If #2 wins there will be a 3rd match to determine the #1.

If you do not have an event you can combine these steps

Wrestle-off #2
During Christmas break wrestlers can challenge, again only challenge one rung up, but can move up. The #2 needs to win 2 in a row to get the spot.

Wrestle-off #3(if needed)

About 2 weeks before sectional. Same as before, only challenge one rung up and the challenger needs to win 2 in a row.

I'm not a fan of wrestle-offs going on every week or even every other week. When you win your spot you should earn it for at least a couple weeks or events. Wrestle-offs shouldn't be the focus on practice either and taking time to do them takes away valuable learning, conditioning, and even coach's time do to them.

4 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Personally, I like the three wrestle-off method.

Wrestle-off #1a

First one is about this time of year where you establish the first pecking order. Only one "finals" match due to time constraints with events.

Wrestle-off #1b

Over Thanksgiving you have wrestlers challenge, you can only challenge up one rung of the ladder, but keep going if you win. This is where the #2 can challenge #1 for the second match. If #2 wins there will be a 3rd match to determine the #1.

If you do not have an event you can combine these steps

Wrestle-off #2
During Christmas break wrestlers can challenge, again only challenge one rung up, but can move up. The #2 needs to win 2 in a row to get the spot.

Wrestle-off #3(if needed)

About 2 weeks before sectional. Same as before, only challenge one rung up and the challenger needs to win 2 in a row.

I'm not a fan of wrestle-offs going on every week or even every other week. When you win your spot you should earn it for at least a couple weeks or events. Wrestle-offs shouldn't be the focus on practice either and taking time to do them takes away valuable learning, conditioning, and even coach's time do to them.

You guys have ladders? We have like 3 single step stools