MCWC Big Results

Not a lot of talk about this event, which is interesting because there are a ton of results here that I think are super interesting. Obviously, this is freestyle, so some of these results won't exactly translate to folkstyle results, but it's still interesting to see what potential matchups could happen next year, and what wrestlers seem to be on the rise this off season:

113: Ty Henderson over Ayden Bollinger Fall 5:19

126: Braylon Reynolds over Carter Fielden TF 15-4

126: Terry Easley over Carter Fielden Dec 20-17

138: Tony Wood over Kyrel Leavell Dec 7-6

138: Kyrel Leavell over Jake Hockaday Fall 4:30

145: Alex Smith over Silas Foster TF 10-0

152: Silas Foster over Jeffrey Huyvaert TF 14-4

152: Christian Arberry over Jeffrey Huyvaert Dec 5-5

152: Alex Smith over Jeffrey Huyvaert Fall 2:27

152: Christian Arberry over Silas Foster Dec 5-3

152: Christian Arberry over Alex Smith Fall 1:39

160: Gavin Davis over Jeb Prechtel Dec 13-8

160: Chase Leech over Luke Kemper TF 12-2

195: Luke Penola over Reid Schroeder Fall 4:44

285: Hosia Smith over Dom Burgett Dec 7-5

Biggest surprises were probably Hockaday losing to Leavell (and Leavell won quite dominantly) and Arberry popping off with a win over Huyvaert, Foster, and Smith (which I've never heard of Alex Smith before, but he had himself a nice day, beating both Foster 10-0 and Huyvaert by fall, is he an out of state guy that got picked up or is he going to make waves next year?) Also, Penola will probably win a title next year.

1 minute ago, QuinnHarris said:

Alex smith was a cadet Fargo AA Last summer! Kid puts in the work!

I thought that that might have been who I was thinking, I know there were a couple sleeper AAs in Greco last year, but it looks like he's starting to become an elite folkstyle wrester as well.

10 minutes ago, TysonNisley said:

I thought that that might have been who I was thinking, I know there were a couple sleeper AAs in Greco last year, but it looks like he's starting to become an elite folkstyle wrester as well.

He is the one who upset spears at semi state and then got beat by Bradley owen of Jeff in a barn burner! Great kid!

1 hour ago, TysonNisley said:

Not a lot of talk about this event, which is interesting because there are a ton of results here that I think are super interesting. Obviously, this is freestyle, so some of these results won't exactly translate to folkstyle results, but it's still interesting to see what potential matchups could happen next year, and what wrestlers seem to be on the rise this off season:

Biggest surprises were probably Hockaday losing to Leavell (and Leavell won quite dominantly) and Arberry popping off with a win over Huyvaert, Foster, and Smith (which I've never heard of Alex Smith before, but he had himself a nice day, beating both Foster 10-0 and Huyvaert by fall, is he an out of state guy that got picked up or is he going to make waves next year?) Also, Penola will probably win a title next year.

Smith is a Heritage Hills kid. His sister was a Fargo Champ. I believe they are a family of 8/9. Younger brothers are going to be good also. 

16 hours ago, TysonNisley said:

Can’t agree with you on the Hockaday/Leavell take.  Should not be a surprise.  I’m more surprised at the Wood/Leavell result. I’m never surprised when a State Champion beats another one in the international styles.  

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

19 hours ago, BrodyHardcastle said:

Pretty sure Hockaday bumped against Leavell to get that matchup, it didn’t  look close whatsoever in size. 

Brody Bro: He laced'em up; he's big enough.  Believe me he doesn't need a caveat.  I had him winning 4 when he was in the 8th grade.  This result doesn't change my stance.

On 4/18/2023 at 4:15 PM, GenHeavyHandz said:

Brody Bro: He laced'em up; he's big enough.  Believe me he doesn't need a caveat.  I had him winning 4 when he was in the 8th grade.  This result doesn't change my stance.

You are right he did lace em up. And I have seen him beat bigger. However, he did cut and bumped up after wrestling the day before and was dealing with an injury. Those throws were ill-advised though. I stand with you on the 4 timer. Def has the skill set and work ethic. Never easy though.