Girls State Brackets

Forgive my naive question, but when you all say "done the same as the boys" can someone explain what that means? I don't know how the boys state bracket is created. Does the #1 from one semi-state tournament automatically get paired up with the #4 from a different semi-state, and same for 2 vs. 3, etc.? Or do all 16 names get thrown into a hat and the whole thing gets reseeded from scratch regardless of semi-state placement? Thank you.

It is a 1 seed vs a 4 seed and a 2 seed vs a 3 seed but they have an algorithm that randomizes which of those seeds fill each spot. 

Could be something like this: NW=A, NE=B, SW=C, SE=D

A1

D4

B3

C2

C1

A4

D3

B2

D1

B4

C3

A2

B1

C4

A3

D2

Then each weight class is on their own randomized algorithm.

22 minutes ago, djackson0944 said:

It is a 1 seed vs a 4 seed and a 2 seed vs a 3 seed but they have an algorithm that randomizes which of those seeds fill each spot. 

Could be something like this: NW=A, NE=B, SW=C, SE=D

A1

D4

B3

C2

C1

A4

D3

B2

D1

B4

C3

A2

B1

C4

A3

D2

Then each weight class is on their own randomized algorithm.

Ok, thank you. Two follow-up questions:

1- That makes sense within each quarter of the bracket, but how do they determine placement of the 4 top seeds? In other words, do the 4 semi-state champs get randomly placed in the 4 quarters of the bracket or is there a seeding to their order? In other words, in your simulated bracket, A1 and C1 would meet in the semi-finals. What if those are the two top ranked wrestlers in the state? Is that just the luck of the draw or do the top ones intentionally get placed on opposite halves of the bracket?

2- Is the 2nd place finisher from each semi-state automatically placed on the opposite half of the bracket of the 1st place finisher they just lost to? In other words, if I lost to Jesse Mendez in the finals of semi-state would I be guaranteed to not see him again until the state finals or is there a chance I could run into him again in the quarters or semis? From your simulated example, it looks like the latter.

24 minutes ago, SSHS said:

1- That makes sense within each quarter of the bracket, but how do they determine placement of the 4 top seeds? In other words, do the 4 semi-state champs get randomly placed in the 4 quarters of the bracket or is there a seeding to their order? In other words, in your simulated bracket, A1 and C1 would meet in the semi-finals. What if those are the two top ranked wrestlers in the state? Is that just the luck of the draw or do the top ones intentionally get placed on opposite halves of the bracket?

2- Is the 2nd place finisher from each semi-state automatically placed on the opposite half of the bracket of the 1st place finisher they just lost to? In other words, if I lost to Jesse Mendez in the finals of semi-state would I be guaranteed to not see him again until the state finals or is there a chance I could run into him again in the quarters or semis? From your simulated example, it looks like the latter.

1-There are no seeds from the formula. The Regional champs are placed in separate quarter brackets, each quarter bracket has a champ, runnerup, third, and fourth from each of the 4 regionals. Yes, you do sometimes get the two best wrestlers meeting in the semis, and sometimes you may have two very highly ranked wrestlers getting that first round death draw.

2-The first and fourth place finishers are on one side of the bracket, the second and third place finishers fall into the other side of the bracket. So yes, if you lost to whoever in the finals at semi-state, or this instance regionals for girls. You wouldn't see them again until the finals if both wrestlers made it that far the next week.

2-

17 minutes ago, littlevito said:

1-There are no seeds from the formula. The Regional champs are placed in separate quarter brackets, each quarter bracket has a champ, runnerup, third, and fourth from each of the 4 regionals. Yes, you do sometimes get the two best wrestlers meeting in the semis, and sometimes you may have two very highly ranked wrestlers getting that first round death draw.

2-The first and fourth place finishers are on one side of the bracket, the second and third place finishers fall into the other side of the bracket. So yes, if you lost to whoever in the finals at semi-state, or this instance regionals for girls. You wouldn't see them again until the finals if both wrestlers made it that far the next week.

2-

Interesting, ok thanks for the clarification. So basically for the top seed placements in the bracket quarters it's totally random draw, but the overall structure isn't entirely random since the 1/4 from a given regional are intentionally separated from the 2/3 into different halves of the state bracket.

1 hour ago, SSHS said:

To number 2 I was just throwing that together. Didn't check too much as far as what they do when separating 1/2s just wanted to get you an idea! 

1 hour ago, julio said:

If a weight only has say 15 qualifiers, how do they select which alternate to call in to make a 16 girl bracket?

I’m not sure but brackets look built on Trackwrestling but not showing open to public yet . 

Just now, JORVILLE said:

I’m not sure but brackets look built on Trackwrestling but not showing open to public yet . 

From checking a couple times tonight it looks as through someone just wrapped them up a few minutes ago.  Hopefully they are double checking everything and then opening them soon after.