Girls Regional/State Question

Galagore

The top 4 in each weight advance from ladies regional on Friday to state. What happens when weight classes are split into two brackets (A and B)? Do top four from each bracket advance? Or is it just the finalists from each bracket that advance?

Just realized that you can scroll a little further and see more brackets for champion, 3rd, and 5th.

Will they take the champion from A/B and wrestle for first, third from A/B wrestle for third, fifth from A/B wrestle for fifth?

I had the same question. The answer that I received is as follows:

4 go on to state.  We will crossover the first places for a true first and second.  We will crossover the 2nd places for a true third and fourth.  We will also crossover the third places for an alternate.  

20 hours ago, Coach Moore said:

Some of the kids in some of the brackets.. if they lose first round will end up wrestling 6 matches in one day. 

Per NFHS rules you can wrestle 6 matches if it is a state tournament qualifying tournament. I am about 98.71% certain the IHSAA has granted this status to the girls tournament.

11 minutes ago, JORVILLE said:

Was the question ever answered on here yet as why have wrestle backs in the two bracket per weight class weights if only the Final winner and loser meet up for 1st and 3rd in crossover?

I believe it is to determine true alternates.

7 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

I believe it is to determine true alternates.

I figured but seems like a lot of wrestling to get to that. If they took the losers from A and B Semi Final matches that would be essentially 5th and 7th place matches in crossover 

22 minutes ago, JORVILLE said:

I figured but seems like a lot of wrestling to get to that. If they took the losers from A and B Semi Final matches that would be essentially 5th and 7th place matches in crossover 

I don't see a spot for the 4th placers to wrestle, only the ones who get 3rd will get to wrestle for the true alternate spot. 

When we did this at regionals and Semi-state with the boys, people often would be "too hurt" to wrestle in those. I wonder if we'll see the same here with the girls. My guess is probably not as I know many of mine are doing it for love of sport.

Is there  chance for ladies wrestling to become a sanctioned sport next season? Or is it at least two years in emerging status? As exciting as it is to think about a sanctioned ladies wrestling season, it seems like it would be very difficult to pull that off right now.

7 minutes ago, julio said:

Suppose to be a 2 year emerging sport and then the IHSAA will see if the numbers have grown to make it a sanctioned sports.

There is nothing stating a two year period. They could decide at the annual meeting to sanction it if they deem that everything is in order. The emerging status can last as long or short as the IHSAA deems necessary to meet their requirements.