Match of the Year / Feud of the Year

blueandgold

With the postseason entering its second phase this weekend, what are some matches you've seen leading up to regionals that could be considered the Match of the Year? I will be the first to admit, I haven't had a chance to watch as many matches as I'd like this year, but from what I've seen there are two that stand out far and wide...

Shortlist (Through Sectionals)

• Jesse Mendez vs. Zeke Seltzer 1/8 Brownsburg (IHSWCA Team State Class 4A Dual Championships) | ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ½
  • Jacob Johnson vs. Nate Johnson 1/29 Mooresville (IHSAA Sectional Championship Finals at Mooresville) | ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ½

As far as the Feud of the Year goes, there are a few who stand out due to weeks, months, or for some, years of build-up who could be on a collision course for a match at the state finals or through the rest of the tournament series.

Shortlist

• Brady Ison vs. Cheaney Schoeff - 2021's Feud of the Year. The two traded wins throughout the postseason last year with Ison scoring the final victory, but it was Schoeff who would advance to the state championship match to face Zeke Seltzer over Ison last year. Ison is 2-0 against Schoeff this year, will he be able to make it 3-0 this weekend at Mooresville?
  • Luke Rioux vs. Jake Hockaday - Hockaday earned the first victory 7-2 earlier this year in the dual, but Rioux earned a huge upset victory winning 10-6 at the Sectional. This one could continue through the next three weekends. Who takes the victory at the regional?
  • Ashton Jackson vs. Evan Dickey - Jackson just seems to have Dickey's number. He beat him in the state finals last year and earned a 6-2 decision victory this year. Will he be able to make the series 3-0?
  • Matthew Koontz vs. Hayden Watson - 2020 132 State Semifinals, Koontz won 6-5. 2022 Team State Duals, Koontz won 5-4. With nearly identical resumes and identical state finishes, can Koontz score the shut out or will Watson finally turn the tide?
  • Leighton Jones vs. Jacob Johnson - Evansville Semi-State heavyweight supremacy. Leighton won their only meeting in dominant fashion, but they met up once more over summer in an RTC grind session in what was a much more scrappy affair from Johnson. Mooresville this weekend could be interesting (or more of the same).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.