Projecting out, where to rank Ferguson in Reitz history?

Jayruss

Big fan of this kid, just wondering where he ranks stacked up against all of the reitz greats. Talking about Johns, Burris, Riney just to name a few

Moody Rueger? And T-Ferg isn't even close IMO he hasn't even made it to state yet I know Johns Moody and Rueger all placed atleast twice...

Big fan of this kid, just wondering where he ranks stacked up against all of the reitz greats. Talking about Johns, Burris, Riney just to name a few

Jeff harp is the standard.  Two state titles.  The only reitz titleist.

Hook out!

You have to be kidding me! Because of his injury he  went into regionals with one arm or he would have been in the top 2. This year he will be number 1, it will not even be close. Then we will have this discussion again.

I am not a big fan of this thread or the "what if" and "because of that". There have been many solid wrestlers at all schools that got injured, sick, bad draw etc... Ferg is a fantastic wrestler and one of the best at his weight. Leave it at that. His freshman year he couldn't crack varsity and sophomore year got beat in the ticket round. His legacy isn't even half way done so its premature to put this kind of thread on any subject line.  That being said,  I think he will become a state titlest  before its all said and done. To end this debate realize that Ferg nor his father would even partake in this discussion.

I am not a big fan of this thread or the "what if" and "because of that". There have been many solid wrestlers at all schools that got injured, sick, bad draw etc... Ferg is a fantastic wrestler and one of the best at his weight. Leave it at that. His freshman year he couldn't crack varsity and sophomore year got beat in the ticket round. His legacy isn't even half way done so its premature to put this kind of thread on any subject line.  That being said,  I think he will become a state titlest  before its all said and done. To end this debate realize that Ferg nor his father would even partake in this discussion.

i agree that the kid and father won't partake in this  but why is this any different than naming the best all time teams at a school or the best ever in the state.  i think all the op asked was where does fergs fit in all time at reitz?  a legit question as far as i am concerned.  I think we should probably just say as of now definitely in the top 10 and depending on how the next two years turn out he could be top 2 for sure.

Okay, I am going to bite then. T-Ferg is a phenomenal wrestler who had the very unfortunate freshman year where he couldn't beat Kuhn for a spot. Kuhn was very solid his entire career and was a ?Junior? that year and had experience behind him to keep Ferg off varsity. T-Fergs sophomore year was pretty tragic. He was injured during Sectionals and literally had one good hand for the rest of the year. He is another example of why Indiana needs wrestle backs because he was a state placer in any other Semi-State ticket round. Even with those 2 years of misfortune I have to say he is a top 10 wrestler in the Reitz program as of now. I think barring injury he could win 1 if not 2 titles. The answer will come in the next 4 weeks.

I hope Ferg wins 3 Titles .. But u are right we shouldn't  compare

Harp to today's wrestlers .. Harp did set the bar and someone like Ferg

Can break or tie the record ..

I will bet you any amount of money he wont win 3 titles.  8)

He's got some time to leave his legacy. This topic is a bit premature, but I'll throw some names out... Harp is on top hands down with 2 titles. You can argue for second place for now. Here is my list of panthers that have been pretty successful: Burris, Hewig, Campbell, Houchins, Babb, obviously A. Johns (who has a strong case for that 2 spot, I think.) One you may not recall is Lucas Robertson- had some high quality wins in his short career at Reitz.  Both Kuhns had great success. In recent years you have to consider Moody, Van Hook, and Rueger who all produced some great careers. Tyler could end up surpassing all with back to back state titles in the time that he has left, but he has several matches to wrestle before he leaves his mark in the Reitz wrestling program and the state of Indiana. 

One name I'll also throw out for consideration from back in Jeff Harp's day, in fact he was Jeff's 1982 classmate, is Roger Reisz.  Roger was runner-up as a junior and senior to David Palmer of Muncie Delta, a 3X himself.  If not for Palmer, he likely would have won a state title, but as good and dominant as Roger was, Palmer was evidently just on a different level.   

As memory serves, Palmer was ranked 1st in the country at his weight, if not even considered the best high school wrestler in the country regardless of weight class.  Although I'm not 100% certain of this, I seem to recall he committed to one of the wrestling powerhouses for college - Oklahoma or Iowa State? - but I'm not sure how his career really played out at that level.  Perhaps injuries somewhat derailed his career?  Regardless, although I never saw him wrestle personally, he must have been a truly great wrestler and certainly one of Indiana's best ever.     

Out of all the 2002-2008 RHS grads, I think Jeremy Kempf was the best. Drew into Mike Lecuda (sp?) Friday night and lost in OT when Lecuda was runner up to Angel Escabedo in 05. The next year he drew in to Chad Biddle when Biddle won state. Ironically the only person that beat him at Semi State both years was Cooper Samuels.

One name I'll also throw out for consideration from back in Jeff Harp's day, in fact he was Jeff's 1982 classmate, is Roger Reisz.  Roger was runner-up as a junior and senior to David Palmer of Muncie Delta, a 3X himself.  If not for Palmer, he likely would have won a state title, but as good and dominant as Roger was, Palmer was evidently just on a different level.   

As memory serves, Palmer was ranked 1st in the country at his weight, if not even considered the best high school wrestler in the country regardless of weight class.  Although I'm not 100% certain of this, I seem to recall he committed to one of the wrestling powerhouses for college - Oklahoma or Iowa State? - but I'm not sure how his career really played out at that level.  Perhaps injuries somewhat derailed his career?  Regardless, although I never saw him wrestle personally, he must have been a truly great wrestler and certainly one of Indiana's best ever.   

Coldskifan-  the best southern Indiana handle I have ever seen.  Well done. 

I see you are a reitz fan so I hate to bring this up....did you know that ski is the unofficial beverage of mater dei wrestling? 

Sorry, man.  Find me, introduce yourself and the ski's on me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.