Pity the Champion

WaltHarris

Wrestlers, soon your season and perhaps career will end.  You may feel embarrassed you lost at regionals or semistate.  You will even feel anger that someone else gets the ‘glory’ of being of being a state champion. 

Don’t be angry.  Pity them.  I have been involved with Indiana wrestling since the 50s as a kid.  Most state champions have quite average lives after high school.  Not all, but most.  That doesn’t mean they are bad people.  Rather that being a state champ at 17 was the only real highlight of their life.

The most successful former wrestlers I know are kids who lost in the regional and semistate.  The reason is those guys never stopped wrestling, at least in a mental way.  They carried that mentality into adulthood.  I know almost every state champion the last half century from my area of the state.  A few are in prison.  Most though are decent men.  Nearly all of them are guys like myself (I wasn’t a champion) who lead very middle of the road lives. 

The former wrestlers I see and know who are saving people’s lives as doctors, are leaders in the community, make real differences in young people’s lives, are lofty income earners, are innovators, major business owners and high achievers… those folks are wrestles I saw lose their senior year in regionals or semistate.

It is extraordinarily challenging to comprehend this as a high school wrestler, but will become plain as day when you are much older.  Trust me.

Quite a generalization.  I would like to see some research on what has happened in the lives of the the several hundred State Champions that been been crowned in Indiana.  I kind of feel like this post is an insult to all of those State Chamnps who have went on to live good lives and be highly successful...and I am sure there are a bunch of them although I will admit I do not have research to back that statement up anymore than whoever Walt is has to back his statement up..

Coach Peckinpaugh

(My real name not an alias)

I would hardly pity them.  To me, you are saying they have peaked at 17.  That is a sad way to look at things.

To me, you respect the heck out of them.  Not every state champ was the hardest worker in their room (some kids are blessed with natural abilities beyond comparison), but at the end of the day, they are the one who put it all together at the right time.  IT is a tremendous accomplishment. 

Do you pity the valedictorian at your high school each year?  Chances are he or she will never reach the intellectual pinnacle in their fields.  They may even land in jail.  I don't have the data to back that up either, but I hardly think pity is the word.

I would hardly pity them.  To me, you are saying they have peaked at 17.  That is a sad way to look at things.

To me, you respect the heck out of them.  Not every state champ was the hardest worker in their room (some kids are blessed with natural abilities beyond comparison), but at the end of the day, they are the one who put it all together at the right time.  IT is a tremendous accomplishment. 

Do you pity the valedictorian at your high school each year?  Chances are he or she will never reach the intellectual pinnacle in their fields.  They may even land in jail.  I don't have the data to back that up either, but I hardly think pity is the word.

Pity the valedictorian:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1915&dat=19840611&id=MzVSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OzYNAAAAIBAJ&pg=1285,2217137

Awesome a Datsun discount sale!  I know where I'm going today.

I am holding out for the '81 Impala!  LOL

All kidding aside - I see Walt's point.  My take is that he is telling the "non-champs", which will comprise what, 99.6% of wrestlers (assuming 250 in each weight class), that there is more to life than winning state and that they should keep their heads up as they travel down life's road.

I have seen, overall, that most wrestlers are ahead of the game of life beyond high school compared to most others.  Probably due in part to their dedication to a very grueling sport.

However, I also know of others who were very successful (non-state winning) wrestlers who battle demons like drugs and alcohol (just as an example).

Anyway, I want to wish the best of luck to ALL wrestlers and encourage them to remember what they have learned and use it to be a success.  On the mat and off!

ok so i showed "Walt's words" to a former wrestler who was a multiple SSQ and lost both times including his senior year. He is 2 years removed from the sport. After reading it he said "I def see their point...don't let the fire inside kindle away just because of one defeat. No matter what once a wrestler you should always be a wrestler! I know I will be for life."

I'm pretty sure what this gentleman is getting at is that just because you lose your last match life does not come to an end. There are many kids who when they lose their last match later fall into a depression and begin to question there self worth by the lack of a medal or the color of it. He's not saying to not strive for your goals but to realize that life will go on no matter what. I have friends from all over the country who were wrestlers that made it to state, placed, or won a title. But we all came to the consensus that at the end of the day when you take of your shoes for the last time. It's just wrestling. It's a life experience. It's a memory. It helped you make friends. Etc. etc... I like this mans post and respect his opinion on this topic!!!!!

I guess the takeaway is that if you want your kid to become a doctor, business owner, etc, (read:  successful and/or with money) he should lose at regional or semistate.

I wonder how many doctors are depressed or have unhappy lives?  maybe if they had strived for much less, they would be happy...

Questions like this are what caused Kwai Chang Caine to wander the earth. 

I keep trying to snatch the pebble;  Wax on, wax off. 

Oops, sorry.  I jumped "Asian Mentor" references.

At any rate, good luck to your favorite athlete at his conference meet, or, all-valley karate tournament this weekend.  Winners, enjoy your medal while you can, because you will likely end up in prison.  Losers, hopefully you will go on to be a happy and successful physician.

My son and I talk about identity a lot.  I tell him and my daughters all the time.

Their identity is not their sport.  It is nothing more than something they do.

It is something that they happen to be good at and enjoy.  But that is where it ends.

If your entire life is a sport.  You are selling yourself short.  Encourage your kids to

be way more complicated that that!

My son and I talk about identity a lot.  I tell him and my daughters all the time.

Their identity is not their sport.  It is nothing more than something they do.

It is something that they happen to be good at and enjoy.  But that is where it ends.

If your entire life is a sport.  You are selling yourself short.  Encourage your kids to

be way more complicated that that!

Amen!!!! Enjoy it and embrace it while your their. But don't look back when it's time to move on!!!

Interesting to read the different responses to this initial post.

I'm just glad that evidently out of the ones who read it, and certainly out of the ones who responded, none seemed to make any inference in any way, shape or form that Cathedral wasn't going to win at Bankers . . .

'Cause if they had, this thread would have exploded to 8 pages by now . . .

Interesting to read the different responses to this initial post.

I'm just glad that evidently out of the ones who read it, and certainly out of the ones who responded, none seemed to make any inference in any way, shape or form that Cathedral wasn't going to win at Bankers . . .

'Cause if they had, this thread would have exploded to 8 pages by now . . .

Dumb comment alert

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.