World Team Trials 2013

Devils27

Dake gets another win over Taylor if you hadn't already heard.  Then follows that up with an epic overtime win over Howe to make the finals. (Overtime added to WTT rules by USAW)

Coleman Scott Out of World Team Trials to Brandon Wright

I just pulled up the brackets and it shows that Brandon Wright Defeated Coleman Scott first round via Injury.

He got in on a low ankle shot and messed up his shoulder during the ensuing scramble with Wright.  Nick Simmons beat Wright in the next round who then was defeated by Kennedy in the finals of the mini-tournament.  Simmons moved back from Freestyle after dabbling in Greco earlier in the year and moved up a weight.  Kennedy will now have to beat Humphrey (U.S. National champions) 2 of 3 in the finals.

First Day Finals

55KG GR: Spenser Mango vs. Nate Engel

55KG WFS: Whitney Condor vs. Helen Maroulis

60KG FS: Jimmy Kennedy vs. Reece Humphrey

66KG GR: Ellis Coleman vs. Justin Lester

72KG WFS: Adeline Grey vs. Britney Roberts

74KG FS: Jordan Burroughs vs. Kyle Dake

84KG GR: Jordan Holm vs. Peter Hicks

96KG: JD Bergman vs. Chris Pendelton

120KG GR: David Arendt vs. Robbie Smith

All of Today's mini-tournament True 2nd matches have an Indiana connection

Hildebrandt vs Fulp-Allen

Howe vs Taylor

Simmons (IU Asst.) vs. Steiber

Unfortunately all three ended up losing their matches.

Howe got caught duing a takedown and hit with a nasty rolling turn, resulting in Taylor teching him in the first minute of the match.  Highly unexpected result.

OK....... did I miss something? Whats up with the 7 point TF in freestyle! Please explain to me why? 10 that tourney 7 this tourney. Is there not set rules?

FILA presented their new rules originally to be 10pt TF for Freestyle and then 7pt TF for Greco a few months ago during the weekend of Central Regional.  But then went back and revised some of those rules at the start of June (the new new rules), one revision made it a 7pt TF across the board. I'm going to speculate that at some point after the World Championships we may end up seeing a few more tweeks (new new new rules) in an attempt to present the best product they feel they can offer to the IOC in hopes these changes will help sway the final decision.

A takedown right into a solid turn is a very unforgiving thing for the defensive wrestler, when TD are now 2pt and TF is 7pts.  If you let your opponent get a tight turn in-bounds the match is over very quickly as opposed to the old version of just losing a period and starting over.  It definitely is putting more emphasis on the turns and turn defense.

74KG FS: Jordan Burroughs vs. Kyle Dake

This should be an awsome match if it hasn't already happened I dont' keep up on freestyle/ international much but I'd imagine this will be one to watch.

The best of three series happened this past Friday evening.

Match 1: Burroughs blew through him relatively quickly for a 7-0 Tech Fall.

Match 2: Dake adjusted his stance to stay much lower and got a deep underhook more often to neutralize some of Burroughs scoring opportunities.  While it seemed Burroughs was a little more active, Dake was able to capitalize on a few changes and score, including a nice 3 point throw.  Match ended up going to Overtime where Burrough's scored very quickly. Final was 8-6 in OT.

Loved the "tude" Burroughs displayed during his post match interview vs Dake.  Felt he was being slighted or not shown enough respect going into the match (mentioned Flo Wrestling,etc).  Loved it when he said his weight class really wasn't that tough with "only" national champs in it and no one with any real international acclaim besides himself.  He's doing a nice job of putting a chip on his shoulder which I think will make him only that much tougher.  Screw Dake and Taylor, IMO.  They can have the spotlight after 2016 or whenever Burroughs is ready to relinquish it because they aren't good enough to take it from him.  He has earned this time in the sun. 

Loved the "tude" Burroughs displayed during his post match interview vs Dake.  Felt he was being slighted or not shown enough respect going into the match (mentioned Flo Wrestling,etc).  Loved it when he said his weight class really wasn't that tough with "only" national champs in it and no one with any real international acclaim besides himself.  He's doing a nice job of putting a chip on his shoulder which I think will make him only that much tougher.  Screw Dake and Taylor, IMO.  They can have the spotlight after 2016 or whenever Burroughs is ready to relinquish it because they aren't good enough to take it from him.  He has earned this time in the sun.

I didn't like his attitude in that interview. I understand how good he is, and the people at flowrestling even said until he loses you can't pick against him. But how can he expect to get respect if he disrespects his compitition. Howe can beat anyone in the world, but has been behind burroughs. He has givin burroughs some great matches and deserves the credit he's been givin from flo, despite not being a senior worlds member. Dakes 4 ncca titles are impressive, add that to the minor detail that he took burroughs into overtime (no small feat at all) he should have gotten burroughs respect. Seeing as he almost gave burroughs his first seniors loss. And taylor has been going after everyone.he wasn't a threat for burroughs this year but in a year or two he could be right there. Give credit where credit is do. That weight class was extremly tough, and if pointing that out is disrespectful to him... well then he might need to take a step back. I hope it ignites a fire in the other three so that burroughs can get a reality check next year.

I didn't like his attitude in that interview. I understand how good he is, and the people at flowrestling even said until he loses you can't pick against him. But how can he expect to get respect if he disrespects his compitition. Howe can beat anyone in the world, but has been behind burroughs. He has givin burroughs some great matches and deserves the credit he's been givin from flo, despite not being a senior worlds member. Dakes 4 ncca titles are impressive, add that to the minor detail that he took burroughs into overtime (no small feat at all) he should have gotten burroughs respect. Seeing as he almost gave burroughs his first seniors loss. And taylor has been going after everyone.he wasn't a threat for burroughs this year but in a year or two he could be right there. Give credit where credit is do. That weight class was extremly tough, and if pointing that out is disrespectful to him... well then he might need to take a step back. I hope it ignites a fire in the other three so that burroughs can get a reality check next year.

Couldn't disagree more.  Love Burroughs and unless unforeseen injury occurs, doubt there is an American that can derail his Olympic "gold rush" before 2016.

Couldn't disagree more.  Love Burroughs and unless unforeseen injury occurs, doubt there is an American that can derail his Olympic "gold rush" before 2016.

I just feel he could have went a different route without downplaying the others accomplishments. He will likely be the representative but I wouldn't be surprised to see an american beat him once in the 2 out of 3 series

You didnt like Burroughs comments after his much? So how did you feel about Dakes comments before the finals?

"New Sheriff in Town"

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/250697-2013-World-Team-Trials/video/714929-Dake-I-AM-Gonna-Beat-Burroughs

Absolutely nothing wrong with Dake's comments before the match.  What would you expect him to say?  No one has ever been successful doing anything expecting to come out the loser.  He wasn't disparaging Burroughs.  He was confident as he should be.  I'm sure he will feel the same way next time they wrestle.

IMO trash talking is an added bonus for wrestling and at this level (no, I don't believe there is room for show boating or trash talking at the h.s. level) just adds a bit of intrigue.  Might bring in a few casual fans, who knows?  As long as respect is shown on the mat, what is said off it can only add a little excitement.  UFC has this figured out pretty well. 

There's a difference between trashtalk and disrespecting your opponents. Dake was trying to stay confident. I thinknhe might have over done it a little but he didn't say that burroughs was overrated. He didn't say that the others accomplishments were nothing. In the ufc they trash talk... usually before the fight. If they respect the fighter after then show it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.