World Team Trials 2013

Devils27

Could someone explain what the scoring was at the end of the second Hump/Kennedy match?  Hump's up 6-2, there's a multiple score flurry that gets posted as 9-5, then after a challenge and review it's 13-5--match over.  The announcers (and I) thought it looked like a 3 for Kennedy, 2 for Reece, and another 2 for Reece--resulting in a 10-5 score.  I can't see clearly enough how the official is awarding the points to know what happened.  How did it shoot up to 13-5?

It looked like the scoring sequence they were trying to give (at least main official) was

6-2

Humphrey 3 (feet to back) 9-2

Kennedy 2 (exposure from the flip) 9-4

Humphrey 1 (get to top position) 10-4

Humphrey 2 (turn) 12-4

Humphrey 1 (Kennedy lost review) 13-4

Looks like at the end Humphrey asked his corner if the first score was 3-2 him, and this smiles and celebrates with them. 

Not sure that perfectly makes sense and still doesn't get to 13-5. You can't see the other officials to see how they awarded the match. I'm guessing they didn't get the score cleared off and corrected on the board afterward and that why it recorded on track that way and of course you can't go back in and look at the recorded scoring sequence. I still think it ends up with Humphreys getting the win so wasn't a game changer, but scoring is definitely off someplace though.

During the takedown if they do give Humphrey the 3 for feet to back thats 9-2 is that match over and the rest of the score (Kennedy rolling him through) is negated anyway?

I'm not quite sure what to take away from that Howe/Taylor match.  Howe takes a risk in a virtually meaningless match in going for a huge move, almost hits it, loses position, and is basically out of position to defend from the time it goes to the mat.  Hard to imagine him going for the same risk at the beginning of a match that mattered.

I'm not quite sure what to take away from that Howe/Taylor match.  Howe takes a risk in a virtually meaningless match in going for a huge move, almost hits it, loses position, and is basically out of position to defend from the time it goes to the mat.  Hard to imagine him going for the same risk at the beginning of a match that mattered.

So you're saying Howe got "caught???"  Sorry, wrong answer, that's never happened in the history of wrestling.  Taylor is by far the superior freestyler as evidenced by that match.

On a side note, I thought it was kind of bush league when Taylor started pounding the mat before he even got up after the tech was called.  I can appreciate the fact that he views beating Howe as a significant accomplishment, but it was a third place match and he and Howe hadn't even separated yet... as they say, "act like you've been there before."  But that didn't hold a candle to the poor display of sportsmanship put on by Metcalf at the end of his championship match against Oliver.  He is truly an a$$hole.

So you're saying Howe got "caught???"  Sorry, wrong answer, that's never happened in the history of wrestling.  Taylor is by far the superior freestyler as evidenced by that match.

I'm definitely not saying Howe got caught.  However, based on two things I've witnessed in the past--first, Howe killing Taylor in freestyle and second, Howe never being so out of position even in losses--it feels like this match isn't necessarily indicative of Taylor being worlds better than Howe, as the result suggests.  If they wrestled again right now, I'm not sure who's favored...that's what I meant when I said I'm not sure what to take away from it. 

The Howe/Dake match, on the other hand, involved lots of different situations and attempts.  I can take a lot more away from the match...first and foremost being that I think Dake would beat Howe more often than not in a rematch. 

I'd still lean toward Howe over Taylor in a rematch, however, based on the whole body of evidence...but it's murky.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.