Northeast Hoosier Conference to disband in 2015

decbell1

Bellmont, Fort Wayne Carroll , Columbia City, Dekalb, East Noble, Homestead, New Haven, Norwell.

I know its basketball/football drive for the most part but is their some other conferences in the area that some of these school already have targeted to move to? 

Wasn't there a conference around the Northeast area that recently fell apart or at least have few school left due to school closures (Anderson Highland was in it maybe)?  Did those teams all more to new area's or would that conference be a possible location for a few of the teams?

Bellmont, Fort Wayne Carroll , Columbia City, Dekalb, East Noble, Homestead, New Haven, Norwell.

I know its basketball/football drive for the most part but is their some other conferences in the area that some of these school already have targeted to move to? 

Wasn't there a conference around the Northeast area that recently fell apart or at least have few school left due to school closures (Anderson Highland was in it maybe)?  Did those teams all more to new area's or would that conference be a possible location for a few of the teams?

Anderson Highland is about 2 hours from Northeastern Indiana.

This is more like a gentleman's agreement to not kick out Carroll and Homestead like they were planning on doing anyway.

With Jay County looking to come to the vaunted Allen County Athletic Conference I could see Garrett and Leo jumping ship to the new NHC.  Bellmont has been rumored to be looking to pair up with their Adams County compadres also, which would be a logical fit as the sprawling metropolis of Decatur isn't growing.  Angola has been trying to get out of the NECC, but not sure they would fit in with the other NHC teams due to competitiveness and how well they travel.

Garrett and Leo look to be ones on the brink of changing their conferences the most due to travel within the ACAC. Garrett is also growing and a solid 3A school so they would be a good fit for the NHC minus Carroll and Homestead.  Leo obviously now a 4A school would be another great fit.  I can't see Garrett and Leo people exactly excited about traveling to Jaytucky(sorry James had to say it), even though personally any visit to Portland is a good visit in my mind.  Garrett has looked into the NECC, but as far as I know is very reluctant to go back for a variety of reasons.  The NHC was talked about, but coaches and AD balked at it due to Carroll and Homestead.  Without them in the mix it looks very enticing.

This will set off a domino affect and will be interesting to see where schools land.

Here is a breakdown of what could happen

SAC

Carroll- Most likely fit

Homestead- Most likely fit

Snider

Northrop

South Side

Luers

Dwenger

North Side

Concordia- Might jump ship to new NHC

New-NHC

Garrett- Jumps due to travel

Leo- Jumps due to travel

East Noble

Dekalb

Norwell- Could go south with the ACAC

Columbia City

New Haven- Could fit in with SAC also

ACAC

Jay County

Bellmont

Adams Central

South Adams

Southern Wells

Heritage- Could jump to the new NHC

Woodlan- Could jump to the new NHC

Bluffton

NECC

Angola- Could jump to the new NHC

All others stay put

Independent

Huntington North- Could fit in with the SAC, but that is about it

WOW!!!  I move to Homestead and the conference disbands.  I really didn't think the world revolved around me that much.  :(  I will truly be sad if my boys will not be able to compete in the NHC.  I have always been proud to be a part of it.

WOW!!!  I move to Homestead and the conference disbands.  I really didn't think the world revolved around me that much.  :(  I will truly be sad if my boys will not be able to compete in the NHC.  I have always been proud to be a part of it.

They knew of your cheatin' ways and the NHC was sick and tired of it!

I have had some discussions with some folks in the know regarding HHS joining the SAC and from what I understand, HHS (and I'm guessing Carroll as well) would not be interested in joining the SAC because of their gate splitting policy.  In other words, the home team has to split the gate receipts with the visiting team.  So on a Friday night in the Fall, if HHS were in the SAC, and the Wayne Generals were the visiting team and they brought 20 fans and HHS had 2000, those dollars from ticket sales would be split 50/50 between Wayne and HHS (not bagging on Wayne, just using them as an example).  In the NHC, again, as I understand it, the home team keeps all gate receipts.  Pretty powerful reason ($) for the SAC not being attractive to schools like HHS and Carroll. 

Again, I'm not sure what is happening with this "disbandment."  Are Carroll and HHS out or are they in?  I've always heard the other schools wanted them out (justified, IMO) but I'm confused by what I'm reading on this thread.

Carroll and Homestead will more than likely join the SAC for the sole reason as to finding football games for a 5A team for the last six weeks of the season would be difficult to say the least.  The gate splitting issue will be resolved by that time also as it has been in the discussion recently with the SAC AD's.

The disbandment means the NHC will cease to exist as a conference on July 1, 2015.  This is the easy way of kicking Carroll and Homestead out without actually kicking them out.

Got it.  I always believed for the money sports, HHS and Carroll were improperly placed in the NHC.  However, as far as wrestling is concerned, the NHC has little to fear from HHS (Carroll is a different story) but I love the competition provided by the NHC for my sons.  Definitely made (makes) them better.  It will be sad for my youngest. 

Rumor around here is that Garrett is leaning toward the NECC. 

The disbandment of the NHC adds a big monkey wrench into the mix.  Garrett could be a big fish in a small pond with equal travel as we have now(aka the NECC).  Or they could be a smaller fish in a big pond with a little less travel(aka the new-NHC).  When talking about the NECC there were coaches that had some very valid concerns with re-joining the conference. Now with the disbandment of the NHC I could see the coaches and AD looking strongly at joining up with Dekalb, East Noble, Leo, and the rest of the old NHC.

Got it.  I always believed for the money sports, HHS and Carroll were improperly placed in the NHC.  However, as far as wrestling is concerned, the NHC has little to fear from HHS (Carroll is a different story) but I love the competition provided by the NHC for my sons.  Definitely made (makes) them better.  It will be sad for my youngest. 

This will only affect his senior year.  There will be a two year victory lap for the NHC before the disbandment occurs.

Anderson Highland is about 2 hours from Northeastern Indiana.

Well I said those from Anderson's old conference (not Anderson) could maybe to unite with some of the more southern teams in the NHC.  I couldn't recall who that all would be to know the travel logistics involved. 

This will only affect his senior year.  There will be a two year victory lap for the NHC before the disbandment occurs.

I know but senior year is usually the best year of a student athletes high school career and to not be in a rough NE Indiana conference will be a bummer. 

Frankly, I'm disappointed the conference isn't continuing on in name.  But if they are disbanding I suppose they would have to rename it NHC II or something.

The word is that Carroll will be joining the SAC which is a logical fit geo wise same for Homestead. As for Huntington it looks like they will be staying in the NCC with the new additions of Lafayette Jeff, Harrison and McCutcheon. Huntington has been asked at least twice to join the SAC but has refused the offer and as such I don't see them ever being asked to join again after snubbing their nose at them.

The word is that Carroll will be joining the SAC which is a logical fit geo wise same for Homestead. As for Huntington it looks like they will be staying in the NCC with the new additions of Lafayette Jeff, Harrison and McCutcheon. Huntington has been asked at least twice to join the SAC but has refused the offer and as such I don't see them ever being asked to join again after snubbing their nose at them.

HN invited into the SAC???

I find that hard to believe.

I find the breaking up the conference is stupid. It comes down to money. Homestead and Carroll do not dominate every sport within the conference. The competitiveness is still there between the schools.

Unfortunately the money sports are all that matter, bball and football, and those sports have been dominated by the big schools.  Heck, the last time bellmont won a fball championship, hhs beat them easily in the regular season and hhs lost in the 2d rd of the playoffs that season. I think schools like bellmont might like a shot at a conference title in a spprt like football when they area good instead of losing to a conference competitor and then going on and winning a state title.

HN invited into the SAC???

I find that hard to believe.

Hard to believe but true ! back with the old AD several years ago, Yes HN was approached about joining the SAC and once again when Elmhurst closed but the current AD was concerned with splitting the gate with opposing school and then being able to be competitive with the SAC in football, basketball, soccer and so on. But lets face it would you as a coach enjoy the challenge of competing against the SAC since the fact is to get to state you have to go through Ft Wayne in the first place with football and basketball. Heck Northrop owns state just about in track and football is on a totally diffrent level compared to HN and their teams fans travel well in those sports. It would be a win for HN money wise to split the gate at Snider, Lures, Dwanger, NS in football and not to mention Basketball they always have a full house. Wrestling is a diffrent story but still they sem to have fans to travel well at least more then HN does. Lets not even mention the cost the school system would save traveling only 30 minutes away to play a conference game as apposed to 2hrs.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.