Sportsmanship

oldandbroke

But as a coach have you ever turned your back on a wrestler, win or lose, when they came over to shake your hand?  To me this is different then kids not going over to shake hands after a match.

I think it shows the wrestlers and parents how immature the coaches are and it's very poor sportsmanship. If my son wrestled for a coach that wouldn't shake a wrestlers hand after a match, I would definitely be embarrased and be disappointed!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That "certain" team (Twin Lakes) has been like that all year... Their coaches told their kids that after their match to report back to them and not to shake the opposing coaches hand... Was even like that at conference. It has been reported but I encourage others to report it as well... That is the worse display of sportsmanship, in my opinion.

I attended the regional at Logansport, I saw some really poor displays there.  I saw kids who would not shake coach's hands, worse yet coaches who refused to shake hands with wrestlers when they approached.  Kids taunting fans, throwing head gear, refusing to report for their awards if they got beat.  Most was by one team in particular.  If IHSAA claims to promote good sportsman

Well there seems to be a lot of poor sportsmanship going around.  Its sad.  There is a team that neither the wrestlers nor  their coachs will shake hands with the other opponent or coach regardless of the outcome.  But the worst in my opinion is this teams' fans.  They cheer when one of their wrestlers injuries another wrestler.  Yes they CHEER AND LOUD!!!!  I find this sickening and I believe it should be punished.  NO ONE should ever cheer when another team's wrestler gets injured no matter who it is.  This is beyond poor sportsmanship.  I dont even know what to call besides sick!!!!!!

I can't stand watching kids throw headgear and being a bad sport. If I lose a match I shake everyone's hand. Tell the coach(es) and wrestler good luck for the rest of the season. It is a sport. Be a man, and pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and prepare for the next one. I'm not saying accept defeat, but be a man and represent yourself, your family, your coaches, your school, and your town like you have been taught how to be a man and how to treat others.

Awesome!

I have to be honest I was at logansport and I don't believe it is as bad as what is being said!  I don't like the not shaking hands thing but it is not a bad thing if they dont!  Most college wrestlers don't shake hands with opposing coaches right after but it is done after the meet.  This weekend my son wrestled against twin lakes he was beaten and as always he went  over to shake hands when he gets half way their he notices the twin lakes wrestler takes a step towards me to shake my hand and then turns around because it is what he was told not to shake other coaches hands.  This angers my son so he smacks the other coaches hands and leaves.  The twin lakes coaches then came to me and said that is why we don't shake hands!  What they didn't know was the reason my son was upset was because he wanted the sportsmanship to go both ways!  It is not the first time my son has been beat!  Was he upset?  Yea!  What angered him was that he felt his coach/ dad deserved to be treated right with sportsmanship.  In the end I understand what they do and I agree and disagree.  What is forgotten is that these are kids and we are here to teach them right from wrong!  Wrestling is a life sport! Since a tournament is individual I believe you should shakehands make the kid learn to deal with defeat. JMO

Twin Lakes as a team and people are good people!  The young man that beat my son is one of the nicest kids you will meet!  I know some of the parents from the team and they are a class act!  I think in such a tough sport feelings get hurt because one kid beats another and people look for something to gripe about.

Shaking coaches hands or not shake hands- this is not the showing of sportsmanship. How one handles himself on or off the mat is sportsmanship (or lack there of.) Rules (and tradition) of wrestling are shaking hands between wrestlers before and after that match. Shaking the opposing coach’s hand is not mandatory. In fact, in Iowa at a high school match it is a penalty to shake the opposing coaches hand, they call it taunting. Please Indiana lets not take it to this level. ::)

shaking coaches hands dosn't really bother me...I never did win or loss....but dont throw stuff if you are that upset get to a locker room and throw your temper tantrum

Not shaking hands right after match doesn't bother me either.  But the other stuff that goes on does. It was embarrassing for our team. I too believe you should go somewhere else if you can't hold your emotions in check. Not shaking Hands does not automatically make you have bad sportsmanship if you've ever seen my son wrestle win or lose he is never cocky( and still doesn't shake hands right after match) a great young man just trying to do his best at wrestling. Don't judge everyone by a few. At the end of the day they are kids. Hope everyone stays healthy its going to be a great weekend up north. Good luck to all.

I know some coaches  fist bump instead of the hand shake only for the concern of spreading communicable diseases.  Keep in mind you have sweaty wrestlers whose hands have a lot of germs on it at that moment.  I hope you're not construing that as poor sportsmanship.    I believe the wrestling community has no problem with this practice.

I call BS on this excuse.  If they are so worried why the hell are they high fiving their own wrestlers, I guess they don't have the same "communicable diseases" their opponents have.  I respect the decision not to shake or fist bump, just say you don't like shaking hands if that is how you feel.

In most other other high school sports that I am aware of, a show of good sportsmanship is the shaking of the opposing team/coaches hands, whether it is at the end of a game or a match, ie., football, basketball, baseball, end of tennis match, etc. It is something of a life lesson win or lose...

Really, most other sports you see the shaking of hands to show sportsmanship? Baseball, basketball, football, volleyball...I would say 95% is walking thru a line holding your hand out and slapping it. Rarely do you see opponents in those sports actually shaking hands like wrestlers do after a match. This is a stupid conversation, every time.

This conversation can go right up there with the coaches attire crap. It's a year in-year out thing, and it's unnecessary. Worry about your wrestlers and your team. A dual meet: you shake your opponents hand in a face off, you shake his hand before the match, after the match, and at then end of the meet. It's so stupid. The worst is the coaches who get defensive over this. If a kid is not showing sportsmanship on the mat, there's no reason to refuse his hand, or say something to him. Let life take care of those kids. The best you thing you can do is be honorable when you win, and honorable when you lose. 

I call BS on this excuse.  If they are so worried why the hell are they high fiving their own wrestlers, I guess they don't have the same "communicable diseases" their opponents have.  I respect the decision not to shake or fist bump, just say you don't like shaking hands if that is how you feel.

Good call lol

In most other other high school sports that I am aware of, a show of good sportsmanship is the shaking of the opposing team/coaches hands, whether it is at the end of a game or a match, ie., football, basketball, baseball, end of tennis match, etc. It is something of a life lesson win or lose...

Yes, everybody shakes hands after the competition is over.  You don't see in football players shaking the coaches hands after every touchdown,  you don't see baseball players shaking the coaches hands at the end of every inning.  You don't see basketball players shaking hands after every quarter and you don't see tennis players shaking the coaches hands at change overs.  Nobody is saying the coaches didn't shake hands at the end of the match.

Yes, everybody shakes hands after the competition is over.  You don't see in football players shaking the coaches hands after every touchdown,  you don't see baseball players shaking the coaches hands at the end of every inning.  You don't see basketball players shaking hands after every quarter and you don't see tennis players shaking the coaches hands at change overs.  Nobody is saying the coaches didn't shake hands at the end of the match.

Your way off! Baseball palyers do shake hands at the end of a game so do football palyers and so does tennis.  And yes no hands were shook ! Don't slide side ways and say you slide  straight!

Your way off! Baseball palyers do shake hands at the end of a game so do football palyers and so does tennis.  And yes no hands were shook ! Don't slide side ways and say you slide  straight!

Coach,

You missed my point.  I said they shake hands at the end of the game n baseball.  They don't do it every inning in baseball and they don't do it at every change over in tennis.

Well there seems to be a lot of poor sportsmanship going around.  Its sad.  There is a team that neither the wrestlers nor  their coachs will shake hands with the other opponent or coach regardless of the outcome. But the worst in my opinion is this teams' fans.  They cheer when one of their wrestlers injuries another wrestler.  Yes they CHEER AND LOUD!!!! I find this sickening and I believe it should be punished.  NO ONE should ever cheer when another team's wrestler gets injured no matter who it is.  This is beyond poor sportsmanship.  I dont even know what to call besides sick!!!!!!

can you say plymouth.........worst fans ever.....

I would prefer a kid to shake hands after a match but if they don't I don't have a problem with it. I have never seen a coach not shake or give a fist bump to a kid that went to shake their hand. If this does happen they are wrong and are taking it way to personal.

Also if you are that worried about a "communicable diseases" then I think you are in the wrong business.

As far as comparing wrestling to any other team sport it's difficult. Shaking hands after every inning would be more like shaking hands after every period or every time the whistle was blown.

The IHSAA has heard the concerns of the "shaking hands" between coaches and wrestlers. Starting next year they are going to run a trial of a new rule for basketball that when a player gets substituted out, they have to go shake the hand of the opposing coach before returning to the bench. After reviewing it, they will then extend some type of rule towards wrestling.

The IHSAA has heard the concerns of the "shaking hands" between coaches and wrestlers. Starting next year they are going to run a trial of a new rule for basketball that when a player gets substituted out, they have to go shake the hand of the opposing coach before returning to the bench. After reviewing it, they will then extend some type of rule towards wrestling.

geez i hope you are just joking about that one.......if not the IHSAA is worse off than they seem to be.......

LOL.  That's funny.

Next thing you know, there will be basketball players walking around with ringworm...

I guess I'll chime in too....

I require all my kids to shake hands with the opposing coach after every match, regardless of the outcome. I think it is one aspect of wrestling that I really like.  It teaches sportsmanship and also teaches kids that they have to learn to control their emotions.  If they can't control their emotions when representing their school, then they should choose another sport.  If the coaches fist bump or shake, is OK with me.  Personally, I always shake hands with any wrestler who comes to my corner to shake hands.  The only time I "fist bump" is when I have a cold or am not feeling well.  I do not want to pass along my illness to another wrestler or team.  I also will tell everyone else why I am not shaking hands, so they are not offended.  Most times, they thank me for not trying to spread my illness.

Each year, I remember every team that we wrestle that does not send their wrestlers over to shake our hands.  I feel it is disrespectful to the sport not to do so.  If my wrestler is not respectful to the opponent or his coach, I make him go back and do it again the right way or they will be suspended from further competition.  I won't tolerate it.  But that is just my opinion. 

To say that "teams shake hands at the end of the dual anyway..." is not accurate in a tournament setting like conference or IHSAA state tourney series.  To me I see no distinction between shaking hands either time. 

Regardless of how the opposing team feels on this issue, our kids always shake hands with both coaches in the corner.

Just my opinion.

The fact is that shaking hands with the opposing coaches after a match is the norm in the state of Indiana.  We can debate all day about whether it is necessary (and personally I don't feel very strongly that it is) but the reality is that when coaches instruct their wrestlers not to shake opposing coaches' hands or refuse to shake the hands of wrestlers that approach them after a match, it creates uncomfortable situations and comes across as pretty arrogant. 

I attended a dual this season in which Bellmont's coaches spent the entire match standing behind their bench while a journalist that follows their team took pictures in the corner.  To me, that was a pretty blatant display of disrespect.  Regardless of your views on the necessity of the extra handshake at the end of a match, it is customary in this state, and acting like you are above it is not great sportsmanship.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.