Sportsmanship

oldandbroke

I attended the regional at Logansport, I saw some really poor displays there.  I saw kids who would not shake coach's hands, worse yet coaches who refused to shake hands with wrestlers when they approached.  Kids taunting fans, throwing head gear, refusing to report for their awards if they got beat.  Most was by one team in particular.  If IHSAA claims to promote good sportsmanship, when will the officials and the IHSAA take care of business.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Rochester regional yesterday; although there was only one wrestler who acted in an unsportsmanlike manner, I agree. There was a wrestler who gave the middle finger to the whole gym after he lost. The team lost a point, but it was still very disrespectful and dishonorable.

I was at Bloomington South Regional and witnessed a few examples of poor sportsmanship.. mainly from one team and their coach.. I guess their new regional didn't bow down the way the sectional and old regional did for them.

I have seen this team for 3 years at quite a few different venues and it's always the same

I can't stand watching kids throw headgear and being a bad sport. If I lose a match I shake everyone's hand. Tell the coach(es) and wrestler good luck for the rest of the season. It is a sport. Be a man, and pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and prepare for the next one. I'm not saying accept defeat, but be a man and represent yourself, your family, your coaches, your school, and your town like you have been taught how to be a man and how to treat others.

I think the hardest to stomach was some of the opposing coaches refusing to shake hands with the kids after a match, totally classless in my opinion, win or lose it didn't matter.  When a kid works his butt off and walks over to the other corner after a match and extends his hand, you are"really tough" to not shake his hand and walk away.  If one kid acts up on a team that is one thing but when several from one team do it, it's a lack of discipline and respect in the room and poor reflection on the coaching staff.  When the coaching staff act like that or do nothing to discourage it then it reflects very badly on them.

I attended the Bloomington South regional and saw a lot of great matches and lot of great sportsmanship expect from one time. I wont pull any punches I will name that team BLOOMINGTON NORTH. This is the third time I have seen them wrestle and it is the same thing every time; refusel or half hearted hand shakes at end of matches and no hand shakes for coaches. This all changes if they win; sorry to say this does not happen a lot. During the regional after one match the Bloomington North kid took his band off threw his head gear and walked from the mat. The offical went to the Bloomington North coach and spent a great deal of time talking to him for the coach to even wave his hand at the offical and walk away. This is a situation that needs to be dealt with either by the local school or the state. The way a team acts is a direct reflection of the coach and it has shown all season that this coach has no respect to sportsmanship. I honestly feel bad for the kids and for the great sport of wrestling.

shaking coaches hands dosn't really bother me...I never did win or loss....but dont throw stuff if you are that upset get to a locker room and throw your temper tantrum

I agree act like the young man that you are and if you have to go throw something go somewhere that you are alone or not in public view. I was at Jay County Regional and two teams in particular very few kids from both teams would shake the opposing coaches hand, win or lose. A couple of times from one team one of the coaches wouldn't even shake the wrestler's hand. I find this to be really poor sportsmanship and agree that the IHSAA needs to do something about it.

I agree act like the young man that you are and if you have to go throw something go somewhere that you are alone or not in public view. I was at Jay County Regional and two teams in particular very few kids from both teams would shake the opposing coaches hand, win or lose. A couple of times from one team one of the coaches wouldn't even shake the wrestler's hand. I find this to be really poor sportsmanship and agree that the IHSAA needs to do something about it.

If they don't shake the coaches hand win or lose then they aren't being poor sports, they just don't want to shake the coaches hand.  Just accept it and stop whining about it.

I attended the regional at Logansport, I saw some really poor displays there.  I saw kids who would not shake coach's hands, worse yet coaches who refused to shake hands with wrestlers when they approached.  Kids taunting fans, throwing head gear, refusing to report for their awards if they got beat.  Most was by one team in particular.  If IHSAA claims to promote good sportsmanship, when will the officials and the IHSAA take care of business.

I know some coaches  fist bump instead of the hand shake only for the concern of spreading communicable diseases.  Keep in mind you have sweaty wrestlers whose hands have a lot of germs on it at that moment.  I hope you're not construing that as poor sportsmanship.    I believe the wrestling community has no problem with this practice.

I saw the incident at Rochester, but did not see the hand jesture to the crowd since I as watching the broadcast. I dont know what you have to do to get Dq'ed , but I hope the coach has a long talk to the athlete to square him and teach him something. Disipline and sportsmanship are two of the things sports can teach us.

They kid at Rochester Regional also cussed at the referee! When does a wrestler get disqualified? How far is to far?Taking away a point is not good enough!

it's to bad the ihsaa doesn't step up and dq this kid the rest of the series.....it's what should be done regardless that this is his senior season and it would be the end of the road for him......life is tough and he needs to realize that he is responsible for his actions.......

I know some coaches  fist bump instead of the hand shake only for the concern of spreading communicable diseases.  Keep in mind you have sweaty wrestlers whose hands have a lot of germs on it at that moment.  I hope you're not construing that as poor sportsmanship.    I believe the wrestling community has no problem with this practice.

Don't be supprised if you get Snow Coned.  If you fist bump ;D

There are also kids who show a lot of class out there as well.  I have to say I am very proud of the way

my nephew, John Tatom.  Has reacted to a couple of tough losses.  Watch him if you want to see how

to react.

BOG190 - What I am talking about is the no shaking at all; it is the shaking only when the win and not when they lose (this is bad sportsmanship)

The fist pumps i totally understand from a germ stand point I know of one wrestlers that actually spent an entire Christmas break in the hospital due to a staph infection from another wrestler

Concerning the wreslter that made the action to the crowd yes the ISHAA needs to step in and do something this is uncalled for no matter what sport or what grade they are in

The wrestler at the Rochester regional that is being discussed was out of line with his actions after the match. He should not have given the finger to the Mishawaka crowd. He should have maintained his composure and acted with class. That being said, I want to defend him. He takes a lot of crap from the crowd, every single match. Whether it is warranted or not, nearly everyone in the crowd cheers against him or even boos him. As it is mostly adults in the crowd, I think this is awful and unnecessary. He is a high school kid. Why are adults feeling the need to demoralize this kid every time he steps on the mat? Yes, he has asthma. Yes, he probably uses his injury time too much. But give the kid a break. He is a good wrestler who has put up with a lot of crap the last four years. You don't have to like him or cheer for him. But don't boo him.

Problem is, someone is coaching these kids who take ttheir "lung injury" time to do so.  Bums me out that there are dudes who let thier wrestlers do this kinda thing.  Then these kids have to be out there taking boo's from grown ups in the stands.  Probably need to change the rules so they are more like college.  Take injury time, give up choice of position.  Heck, if a dude is hurt bad enough or needs airbad enough, its probably worthit to give up position during a match.  Seems like the coahces aren't fixing the problem themselves, so they'll probably need a rule change to make it happen.  Kids who make conditioning part of their advantage lose that advantage when coaches allow that kinda stuff to go on.  Darn shame.

shaking coaches hands dosn't really bother me...I never did win or loss....but dont throw stuff if you are that upset get to a locker room and throw your temper tantrum

But as a coach have you ever turned your back on a wrestler, win or lose, when they came over to shake your hand?  To me this is different then kids not going over to shake hands after a match.

Yes I have seen it.  It really is just a sign of lack of maturity.  Usually it is the younger coaches.  That is why you have to make sure your assistance, especially the younger ones, are always doing the right things.  If you are head coach and doing it you need to find a different job.  Probably not one dealing with kids or people for that matter.

But as a coach have you ever turned your back on a wrestler, win or lose, when they came over to shake your hand?  To me this is different then kids not going over to shake hands after a match.

AJ I totally agree with you...I have never not shook a kids hand who comes over regardless of the result. I have seen other coaches (some much older than me) do just that or even verbally belittle the opposing wrestler. That is unnaccepable behavior. My comment was mostly in response to the wrestlers not so much the coaches.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.