106??? stacked Weight

ontherise219

Do you have any facts to back your statement or is this your opinion?  Also, what is your criteria for a quality wrestler on the national level?  I would agree that this year's senior class isn't as decorated as that of the class of 2012, but I don't believe we have less quality wrestlers.  I remember when people said we wouldn't see the likes of A. Tsirtsis, A. Escobedo, M. Escobedo, A. Hernandez, Coughlin, Mauer, and while those kids were special, I think that last year's class was right there with that group.  My point is that it's cyclical and I wouldn't say that 2012 was the best we've seen or that the well has dried up, we just have to wait until the next wave of studs come around.  

Agreed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any facts to back your statement or is this your opinion?  Also, what is your criteria for a quality wrestler on the national level?  I would agree that this year's senior class isn't as decorated as that of the class of 2012, but I don't believe we have less quality wrestlers.  I remember when people said we wouldn't see the likes of A. Tsirtsis, A. Escobedo, M. Escobedo, A. Hernandez, Coughlin, Mauer, and while those kids were special, I think that last year's class was right there with that group.  My point is that it's cyclical and I wouldn't say that 2012 was the best we've seen or that the well has dried up, we just have to wait until the next wave of studs come around.  

BBW2009 is Jared Brooks dad.  Of course he's going to tell us that the 2012 class was the strongest ever because his kid won a title last year.  Not sure if he knows it or not but his screen name (BBW) also stands for Big Beautiful Woman.  This might be the name he's going for, not sure. LOL!

I would say that it absolutely the reason. As a means of defending my position, I'll use three young men from Lowell.  Drew Hughes has one loss in Indiana, as Lowell wrestles an all in-state schedule.  Jake Tucker, and Jose Champaigne each have 10 or so losses in Illinois due to a rigorous schedule that has them wrestling some of the best in their state and throughout the country.  It's my opinion that Jake and Drew would beat each other 5 times each if they wrestled 10 times and happen to be in the same weight class.  My point, the rules are what make it possible for us to have so many undefeated wrestlers but not necessarily better wrestlers.

If Poppa Tucker felt that 10 matches between Jake and Drew would split 5 and 5, he wouldn't have skipped town and taken him to Illinois where he could make a varsity lineup at 120... It's a lot closer to 10/0 Drew than it is to a 5/5 split...

You aren't wrong...ha

true though lol the years im talkin bout though are when there was ayersman, phillips,brooks, campbell,harvy, mckinley, petrov,todd, kuhn,then at other weight classes you had paul beck, josh harper, cashe quiroga, brandon nelson,anthony hawkins,the kieffer boys,gregory,connor mullins,casey kenney,eppert,justin brooks,ethan raley,brandon wright,daniel bradley. tsirtsis, hiestand,tony lovejoy,spencer, porras,brock norton,taylor march,the mascaros, welch boys, eric roach,richeys, sims,tonte, lynde,atwood,ryan stahl, steve stahl,sandefer, mcginley, trace hall, chad barrett, daniel young, stein, quiroz, mosier, mcmurray,tyler willis, all the bakers,duckworth,stevenson, shrewsburry,drew graber,chalfant,neal molloy, napules,derek bevans,devan jackson,mason berryman,sam bennett,zack corpe, sliga,michael jones,christian lentz,cosgrove, and many more im sure.  all these guys were in around the same time frame and to me no one can tell me todays indiana wrestling is better than this lol. the career losses of all these guys together probly isnt even over 50.  im sure they all have well over 100 wins.  yeah obviously there are still good wrestlers right now all im saying is it didnt compare to this. my opinion, no one could convince me otherwise with all these studs. good luck to wrestlers and coaches this week in sectional

If Poppa Tucker felt that 10 matches between Jake and Drew would split 5 and 5, he wouldn't have skipped town and taken him to Illinois where he could make a varsity lineup at 120... It's a lot closer to 10/0 Drew than it is to a 5/5 split...

I'll let Poppa Tucker defend this one, but you are clearly talking out of the wrong end and have no clue what you are talking about.

Well that was a pretty balsy and not likely accurate post.

true though lol the years im talkin bout though are when there was ayersman, phillips,brooks, campbell,harvy, mckinley, petrov,todd, kuhn,then at other weight classes you had paul beck, josh harper, cashe quiroga, brandon nelson,anthony hawkins,the kieffer boys,gregory,connor mullins,casey kenney,eppert,justin brooks,ethan raley,brandon wright,daniel bradley. tsirtsis, hiestand,tony lovejoy,spencer, porras,brock norton,taylor march,the mascaros, welch boys, eric roach,richeys, sims,tonte, lynde,atwood,ryan stahl, steve stahl,sandefer, mcginley, trace hall, chad barrett, daniel young, stein, quiroz, mosier, mcmurray,tyler willis, all the bakers,duckworth,stevenson, shrewsburry,drew graber,chalfant,neal molloy, napules,derek bevans,devan jackson,mason berryman,sam bennett,zack corpe, sliga,michael jones,christian lentz,cosgrove, and many more im sure.  all these guys were in around the same time frame and to me no one can tell me todays indiana wrestling is better than this lol. the career losses of all these guys together probly isnt even over 50.  im sure they all have well over 100 wins.  yeah obviously there are still good wrestlers right now all im saying is it didnt compare to this. my opinion, no one could convince me otherwise with all these studs. good luck to wrestlers and coaches this week in sectional

All studs and names I recognize, because I graduated around the same time.  However, not all of the people in that list won even one state title, and even fewer won more than one... there are just as many quality kids wrestling now as there was then, we're just not as familiar with them.

Or he felt it'd be better for jakes future to go to Illinois. If its a wrestling thing its well he will be challenged more and likely improve more! If jake couldn't beat drew why move to a tougher wrestling state...

All studs and names I recognize, because I graduated around the same time.  However, not all of the people in that list won even one state title, and even fewer won more than one... there are just as many quality kids wrestling now as there was then, we're just not as familiar with them.

I Couldn't agree more.

1 oldwrestler, jarred winning a state title doesnt have any bearing on my opinion! talk too the best college coaches in the country and they will tell you the same thing. indiana wrestling is falling! look at the #s at our state tourneys and the quality and technique of wrestling in the state. i guess these college coaches dont have a clue about what they are talking about!!! you seem too have always been a Brooks hater mister. jarred must have wrestled one of your kids or something! 

1 oldwrestler, jarred winning a state title doesnt have any bearing on my opinion! talk too the best college coaches in the country and they will tell you the same thing. indiana wrestling is falling! look at the #s at our state tourneys and the quality and technique of wrestling in the state. i guess these college coaches dont have a clue about what they are talking about!!! you seem too have always been a Brooks hater mister. jarred must have wrestled one of your kids or something! 

I have no doubt that you know what you are talking about.  I have witnessed you coach and watched your sons for years.  I also know that you travel to a bunch of tournaments.  My only question is what have we fallen from?  It isn't like we are or have ever been recognized for producing a ton of great wrestlers.  I will say over the past 10 years we have seen some great kids come through the state, your kids included, but I don't think that is necessarily going to change.  We may be in a dip right now but I would not say we are falling.  I could be wrong though.

Well... we make the national rounds every year, both individually and in duels, it is a grind, but I have to disagree with the opinion that IN wrestling is declining. I'm not sure which College coaches your speaking of, but just this past week in Tulsa I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Brian Smith of Missouri and Kevin Jackson of Iowa St. both had knowledge of several current IN HS kids and mentioned them by name. Objectively.. without opinion, Indiana has risen steadily in consistently placing at national events both individually and in national duel competitions. During the last 5 years we personally have seen our teams climb the ladder at very tough team competition, placing in the top 2-5 in MI, VA, NC just to name a few that we personally have attended. So while subjective opinion may differ from person to person, the objective facts looking at the true numbers are that we continue to do better each year at the national level. Seeing this with my own eyes makes me wonder how in any respect, that could be considered a decline.

I don't have access to the best college coaches to ask them their opinion, but have you really heard any coaches say "Indiana wrestling in decline"?  I do have access to some reference materials and internet, but have never read a quote to that affect.

Thats a pretty big statement to generalize, do you have a reference to  back that up?

I have to respectfully disagree with this one.... you don't go to IL. to wrestle if your looking for a break or an eaiser road. Mt. Carmel wrestles an absolutly brutal schedule. I'm not to sure DH would be ranked any higher than the 11th spot Tuckers in now... JMO. 120 at 3A in IL. is a meat grinder with 3-4 guys ranked by intermat.

Unless we have a surge of college signing in the in next 8 weeks, I would say this years talent ( 2013 class ) is way down.

Are you talking about DI talent?  Last year's group didn't have an overwhelming number of DI guys, however we did have a large number wrestling in college.  I suspect that we will have just as many wrestling at some college level in the class of 2013, but perhaps not as many DI wrestlers.  

I don't believe I've ever said anything negative about either of your boys on this website or any other for that matter.  As for the BBW thing, I just googled it b/c I wondered what it stood for and "Big Beautiful Woman" is what came up first, LOL.  So, no, I haven't been on any websites to know what that acronym stands for. 

As for Indiana dropping in stature nationally, I would have to say we're no better or worse than we have been for the last 20 years.  We're in the midwest so we're decent but not great.  The occasional national stud comes out every 5 years (Escobedo, Howe, little Tstirtsis) or so and it seems like the plate is currently full enough to continue that trend.  I think what everyone on here wants to see is the state improve.  I think you're the only one saying it is dropping.

I haven't watched any other 106s, but Tyler Ferguson from Reitz is a machine. I don't think I've seen him break a sweat yet. He will be a lot of fun to watch in the tournament.

I have to agree with you. Hard to call a kid that's 44 and zero a dark horse but shhhhhh he may sneak up on some people.

I believe that overall the level of competition in Indiana from top to bottom has definitely improved as of the last few years. The sport is growing and good high school effective technique is being taught at a younger age. More wrestlers are getting more national exposure and competition. Combine that with kids going to 3-4 practice a week year round becoming more of the standard and you have what is clearly improvement in the quality of wrestling at all levels. However, with such studs as A. Tsirtsis, Escobedo, Humphrey, Howe, Harper, Mcmurray, Ayersman, J. Tsirtsis and all the other great wrestlers with multiple state titles and undefeated seasons it is hard for fans to say the level of competition in Indiana is improving.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.