Need some coaches help on % of team that are also football players.

agirod

Typical large school mentality (my kids go to a school similar in size to McCutcheon).  Let me guess, the entire team believes they have a shot at playing D1 football.  At least that is what the coach has told them, so they have to be weight training for the entire football offseason.  What a fricking joke.

Football coach must have a golden tongue to convince so many they are D1 when your school might produce 1 D1 football player a year.

I have heard some real good arguments over the years for how wrestling helps a football player, but what are the arguments for how football helps someone that wrestles?  Cross country certainly would give good fitness, as would, I think, soccer and tennis.  Football should bring strength training to the table, but the actual game itself doesn't seem to bring much to the table for the wrestler.  I am probably missing something, so fire away . . .

At Rockville, our boys have been "strongly encouraged" to be in weight training for football, and to not wrestle.  I have been told by those boys, (and their parents),who chose to wrestle anyway,  that there  may not be a"spot" for them on next year's starting roster.

We have seven boys on the team.  Three are football players.  There are at least a half dozen boys in the weight room who wrestled in middle school and high school.  We have less than 500 kids in our high school.  This mentality is killing us.  We need to work together as was stated in an earlier post.

Typical large school mentality (my kids go to a school similar in size to McCutcheon).  Let me guess, the entire team believes they have a shot at playing D1 football.  At least that is what the coach has told them, so they have to be weight training for the entire football offseason.  What a fricking joke.

At Rockville, our boys have been "strongly encouraged" to be in weight training for football, and to not wrestle.  I have been told by those boys, (and their parents),who chose to wrestle anyway,  that there  may not be a"spot" for them on next year's starting roster.

We have seven boys on the team.   Three are football players.  There are at least a half dozen boys in the weight room who wrestled in middle school and high school.  We have less than 500 kids in our high school.  This mentality is killing us.  We need to work together as was stated in an earlier post.

Our school is going through a new football coaching hire this year.  Because of this past mentality the wrestling staff has already expressed to the AD we would like to find a staff we can work with for the benefit of our athletes in order to avoid problems like those mentioned above (which occurred previously).  We will see if that even is a factor when the new coach is hired.

We have seven boys on the team.   Three are football players.  There are at least a half dozen boys in the weight room who wrestled in middle school and high school.  We have less than 500 kids in our high school.  This mentality is killing us.  We need to work together as was stated in an earlier post.

I think a lot of the problem in these situations goes both ways.  Wrestling coaches often times blame the football coaches, but we do nothing to change their view of wrestling.

Football coaches seem to have two main concerns about wrestling-

1. Cutting weight

2. The weight lifting that wrestlers do, endurance as opposed to mass building

If we as coaches want to get more football players out for our team wouldn?t it be more advantageous to not make to football guys cut weight (at least not as much weight) and have a weight program that is in line with the football program?

For me it is a no brainer, the football team has the strongest, best athletes in most schools, so I would rather change things that I see as negotiable, like the way we lift, and how much weight I would like to see the kids cut, in order to get kids out for our team.

I think that wrestling coaches also need to take time to get kids into the weight room.  We just go an extra half hour three times a week.  We give the kids three options, weights class lifts -what the upperclassmen lift, power lifting-for the kids in weights class already who want lift heavy, and wrestling lifts- for our more wrestling specific guys.  We give them the choice between the three, and as long as they are working in the weight room I see it as them getting better.  I think we lose too many kids by being stubborn on what lifts are being done.

In the end if you adopt and work with the football coaches weight program, and don?t get on kids about cutting weight, I?d bet your team would see more football guys come out.

Valparaiso

About 25% however we have the same big school mentality as McCutcheon.....

Our wrestlers who play football have been wrestling well before high school.  The majority who have come out in High School quit because of the toughness required to wrestle. We may have one or two that have made it.

The football coaches tell them they have to keep gaining weight and hitting the weight room and detour the thoughts of wrestling. We are still trying to educate them on the numerous added benefits wrestling can offer the football team as we all know. Our wrestlers work out three days per week in the weight room as well and many have advanced weight training as a class. The athlete (wrestler) who loses body fat and gains lean muscle is much more valuable as a football player then the kid who works out, eats a dozen donuts for breakfast, four pizza's for lunch, and whatever he can find for dinner just to gain weight......

And last but not least the wrestler who does cut some will gain everthing back and then some within a couple of weeks after the season. They will then gain strength at a much quicker rate compared to the guy who just hit the weight room for the same period due to the cycling of the body. We have tracked this and proved it.....

We can really help your football team! Ask the coaches in Texas and many of the Division I Powerhouse coaches who love to recruit wrestler/football players.

Former High School Football Player, Wrestler

Former Division I Strength Coach

We have seven team members on a good day.  Cutting weight is not a big issue at this point as most of the weight classes are up for grabs! Besides, the body mass/pinch test  determines how low you can go. As stated by others, wrestling isn't as easy as one might think as well as it's just you on the mat... 

I think a lot of the problem in these situations goes both ways.   Wrestling coaches often times blame the football coaches, but we do nothing to change their view of wrestling.

Football coaches seem to have two main concerns about wrestling-

1. Cutting weight

2. The weight lifting that wrestlers do, endurance as opposed to mass building

If we as coaches want to get more football players out for our team wouldn?t it be more advantageous to not make to football guys cut weight (at least not as much weight) and have a weight program that is in line with the football program?

For me it is a no brainer, the football team has the strongest, best athletes in most schools, so I would rather change things that I see as negotiable, like the way we lift, and how much weight I would like to see the kids cut, in order to get kids out for our team.

I think that wrestling coaches also need to take time to get kids into the weight room.  We just go an extra half hour three times a week.  We give the kids three options, weights class lifts -what the upperclassmen lift, power lifting-for the kids in weights class already who want lift heavy, and wrestling lifts- for our more wrestling specific guys.  We give them the choice between the three, and as long as they are working in the weight room I see it as them getting better.  I think we lose too many kids by being stubborn on what lifts are being done.

In the end if you adopt and work with the football coaches weight program, and don?t get on kids about cutting weight, I?d bet your team would see more football guys come out.

hahahhhaha most of the kids in high school do not workout hard especially football players so off season weight lifting for the 98 percent means a waste of time and they are most maturing and gaining strength that way. by me saying waste of time is they do a couple lifts walk around talk for about five minutes and do another when that is doing some but nothing great to be a great ATHLETE you have to train hard and do great things  ;D the main things wrestling helps football players in is knowing of a new toughness that they have never experienced. I honestly think anybody can go out and play an entire football game its pretty easy but i dont see anyone going into a wrestling room and hand fighting for 6 minutes hahaha they would die

How they have lifted at the many schools i have been to you havent noticed? I know when i was in Hobart there were very few who actually lifted and when i was at purdue hahaha the wrestling team was and still is the hardest training team there and football is probably one of the easiest to lift at I have a couple football friends who still play here at purdue and thay have told me they would never do anything the stuff the wrestlers do they call us CRAZY hahah. And at McCutcheon we had two basketball players do our pre season because thye said basketballs was way to easy and they are on the team for basketball they were awful wrestlers but they sure as hell wanted that spot on the bball team and they got it now probably took something from those pre season workouts as in Mental and Physical toughness which  ALOT of kids now days are really really really soft  :-\

goes the same way not everyone is going to work hard in the weight room when a coahc is there or not there there are few who do not need a coahc there to get a great workout in and there are some people who need someone there to keep pushing them but then there are the vast majority who dont really exhausted themselves and try looking for the easy way out. the kids these days i would say are more along the way of SOFT hahahaha

I noticed it when i was in high school so not just starting now but now there are alot of them. I have talked to several other people from other schools and those are from other parts of the state and they say the same thing and the sports are not just for wrestling hahah no way in telling if basketball players have gotten softer HA had to throw that in there

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.