Mishawaka's Next Head Coach

CoachW33

Has there been any word on possible candidates for this position? Regardless of what has happened in the past, this is still an attractive job, imo. Any ideas when they plan to name a coach?

When anything related to Mishawaka is mentioned it's a little bit like mentioning the name Voldemort (HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED) from the Harry Potter book series.  Kinda cracks me up how there is no discussion regarding this program even on issues as innocuous as who the next coach will be. 

After reading over Mr. Hasseman's credentials its seems he is way over qualified for this job. Has he given a reason for coming back to high school wrestling?

Not sure he is "coming back" to h.s. wrestling as he has never coached h.s. wrestling, or at least it doesn't appear that he has.  My guess is he's a native son and the opportunity to step into a top talent program in your home state doesn't come around all that often.  Again, I'm guessing guys with the same types of credentials are taking over programs in big wrestling states like IL, PA, OH, etc.  I think it bodes well for Indiana that a guy like Hasseman sees a program in the state as good enough to take over.  Hope he makes it happen at Mish.

Yah, yah. Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania are just loaded with great coaches, but Indiana doesn't have class wrestling so all the coaches here suck. Maybe Mr. Hassman can get some sort of Nobel prize for gracing us with his talents.

I'm sure he'll do great things and I'm glad he came back, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people on this board act like Indiana is so terrible and the implication that the coaching here is so terrible.

Yah, yah. Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania are just loaded with great coaches, but Indiana doesn't have class wrestling so all the coaches here suck. Maybe Mr. Hassman can get some sort of Nobel prize for gracing us with his talents.

I'm sure he'll do great things and I'm glad he came back, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people on this board act like Indiana is so terrible and the implication that the coaching here is so terrible.

It is not often that someone with the resume of Bryce's comes to coach in Indiana.  He could be coaching at numerous colleges or even working at one of the top clubs in the country.  People in Indiana are not used to someone with these credentials heading up a high school program, whereas in other areas this is very much the norm of the top programs.

Congrats to Mishawaka! I hope they continue to provide strong wrestlers as the Penn rivalry will be hotter than ever!

As for Illinois, I've said this a lot on here over the years, Indiana's TOP kid vs. Illinois' TOP kid is competitive and I believe this will continue. The difference is...DEPTH. That is where the population comes in but Illinois has an unbelievable wrestling culture. Unfortunately, basketball took hold of Indiana years ago. For every TOP kid that Indiana produces, Illinois has 2-3. I read last year that the Chicagoland area (suburbs, etc.) has the LARGEST YOUTH SPORTS enrollment in the WORLD!!! Of course, this includes all sports but you get what I am trying to say. The Chicagoland area is a hot bed for recruiting due to the sheer numbers and to be number 1 in the world, that is impressive!

Good South Bend Tribune Interview with Coach Hasseman

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt-high-school-wrestling-mishawaka-healing-starts-with-hasseman-20120711,0,2538862.column

Bryce Hasseman understands the predicament. The 30-year-old son of a wrestling lifer refuses to be intimidated.

?If a man in this situation isn?t a little nervous, there?s something wrong,? Hasseman said Tuesday, the day he was approved by the School City of Mishawaka. ?I?ve never backed down from a challenge, though.

?The past is the past. I?m only focused on the future. Everyone has a clean slate. I don?t know anybody; nobody knows me.?

Hasseman?s father, Bob,

has been the head wrestling coach at Franklin (Ind.) High for three decades. A state champion at 160 pounds as a senior in 2000, Bryce went on to wrestle at Northern Illinois, then finished his career and earned a degree in exercise science at Bloomsburg University.

His coaching philosophy, with a foundation anchored from years as a mat rat with his dad, was enhanced through a couple years under wrestling icon John Smith at Oklahoma State.

?I want to win, but I want to win the right way,? Hasseman said. ?My wrestlers don?t showboat; they won?t be punks. You earn respect by winning wrestling matches. My job will be taking the team and making men out of them.?

The no-nonsense approach didn?t just come by accident.

?When it came to my dad, you always knew he was the boss,? Hasseman said. ?He still made it fun, though. His best advice to me was, ?Just be yourself. You might be hard, but you have to be fair.??

Can?t ask for more than that in a demanding sport.

Hasseman?s assignment as a physical education teacher will be his first at the high school level. However, his experience in strength training with world class athletes at Oklahoma State and the U.S. Olympic Training Center provides an enviable background.

He grudgingly used the word ?retired,? when it came to his own involvement as a competitor. Three shots at the Olympic Trials netted a third-place finish (with one spot available on the team) in 2008, and a wife.

Angie McGinnis was a volleyball player at the University of Florida when the two met at the Olympic Training Center. A setter, she was an alternate for the U.S. team in 2008.

The two turned near misses into Mr. and Mrs.

Bryce worked hard for a shot at the 2012 London Games. In tip-top shape heading into the late April Trials, the 6-foot-1, 185-pounder suffered a blow to his chances when he sustained a torn ACL. He opted not to have surgery. It didn?t stop him from competing, but he lost in the first round.

?It bothered me,? Hasseman admitted of the injury. ?Wrestlers typically aren?t the smartest athletes, but we might be the toughest. I hate to go out like that.?

While juggling a full-time teaching gig and the charge of one of the most high-profile wrestling programs in Indiana, competition might take a backseat.

Besides working with club-age wrestlers at Oklahoma State, the bulk of Hasseman?s time on the mat has been spent with collegiate athletes.

?The fundamentals of wrestling are the same (between high school and college),? he said. ?I enjoy developing an athlete. I?ve had a walk-on (at Oklahoma State) develop into a third-place finisher in the NCAA. Attitude and technique are important.?

Bryce Hasseman understands the predicament. The 30-year-old son of a wrestling lifer refuses to be intimidated.

?If a man in this situation isn?t a little nervous, there?s something wrong,? Hasseman said Tuesday, the day he was approved by the School City of Mishawaka. ?I?ve never backed down from a challenge, though.

?The past is the past. I?m only focused on the future. Everyone has a clean slate. I don?t know anybody; nobody knows me.?

Hasseman?s father, Bob,

has been the head wrestling coach at Franklin (Ind.) High for three decades. A state champion at 160 pounds as a senior in 2000, Bryce went on to wrestle at Northern Illinois, then finished his career and earned a degree in exercise science at Bloomsburg University.

His coaching philosophy, with a foundation anchored from years as a mat rat with his dad, was enhanced through a couple years under wrestling icon John Smith at Oklahoma State.

?I want to win, but I want to win the right way,? Hasseman said. ?My wrestlers don?t showboat; they won?t be punks. You earn respect by winning wrestling matches. My job will be taking the team and making men out of them.?

The no-nonsense approach didn?t just come by accident.

?When it came to my dad, you always knew he was the boss,? Hasseman said. ?He still made it fun, though. His best advice to me was, ?Just be yourself. You might be hard, but you have to be fair.??

Can?t ask for more than that in a demanding sport.

Hasseman?s assignment as a physical education teacher will be his first at the high school level. However, his experience in strength training with world class athletes at Oklahoma State and the U.S. Olympic Training Center provides an enviable background.

He grudgingly used the word ?retired,? when it came to his own involvement as a competitor. Three shots at the Olympic Trials netted a third-place finish (with one spot available on the team) in 2008, and a wife.

Angie McGinnis was a volleyball player at the University of Florida when the two met at the Olympic Training Center. A setter, she was an alternate for the U.S. team in 2008.

The two turned near misses into Mr. and Mrs.

Bryce worked hard for a shot at the 2012 London Games. In tip-top shape heading into the late April Trials, the 6-foot-1, 185-pounder suffered a blow to his chances when he sustained a torn ACL. He opted not to have surgery. It didn?t stop him from competing, but he lost in the first round.

?It bothered me,? Hasseman admitted of the injury. ?Wrestlers typically aren?t the smartest athletes ???, but we might be the toughest. I hate to go out like that.?

While juggling a full-time teaching gig and the charge of one of the most high-profile wrestling programs in Indiana, competition might take a backseat.

Besides working with club-age wrestlers at Oklahoma State, the bulk of Hasseman?s time on the mat has been spent with collegiate athletes.

?The fundamentals of wrestling are the same (between high school and college),? he said. ?I enjoy developing an athlete. I?ve had a walk-on (at Oklahoma State) develop into a third-place finisher in the NCAA. Attitude and technique are important.?

SMH... Now, everybody's going to know...

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt-high-school-wrestling-mishawaka-healing-starts-with-hasseman-20120711,0,2538862.column

Sounds like the kind of coach I would want if I was a parent. Things look very bright for the cavemen in the yrs to come

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.