next years favorites?

dbo

Of course we don't know where everyone's weight will be next season, but who do you have on your watch list as a potential to win a state championship next year? Team and individuals

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, the 3 returning state champs would be a good place to star

Micic, Bradley and Sliga

Bradley is the one with the most potential competition next year depending on where he and some of the other talented state placers wrestle next year

I can only see two obvious contenders returning locks (depending on weights next year) and that is Micic from Hanover Central and Boston from Lawrence North. I do see alot of great talent returning. My eyes will be on the following being in that top tier. These are strictly IMO and im sure there alot more.

Jacob Brown and Luke Welch - Castle. They are partners in practice and both can cause problems for anyone.

Lahue - Corydon Central. 5th at 113 as a freshman with great spees and technique. E-ville SS champ. Will make alot of noise next year.

Johns - Evansville Reitz. Benefitted from working with a very sound Reitz team this year and steps into the leadership role for them next year.

Garcia - Merrilville. Tough kid with sound skills.

LeCount - Perry Meridian. Showed everyone this past weekend he is for real. (If anyone questioned that)

Wedding - E-ville Memorial. Great speed, technique, and mat inteligence. Seemed like he had a hard time with the weight change this year, but dont expect that to happen again. Learns from his mistakes.

*Sleeper* Blake Meyer - E-ville Memorial - Kid is strong and from what I hear gave up alot of weight this year. Look for him to shine next year.

Blanton - Alexandria. Knocked off Molloy this year, so he obviously has the stuff.

Forte- Mishawaka. Finished 3rd at 132 as a freshman. I can see him as a 2X champ.

Kelley - E-ville Central. This kid doesnt stop. He will return stronger and more mature.

Giffin - South Dearborn. IMO the biggest surprise of the weekend. Finished 4th in his SS, beat a SS champ in a close match (3-2 I believe), came back and won an impressive 10-2 match in the second before running into a stud and took 3rd. Lots of potential here.

Kriech - Franklin Community. I think him and Bradley (Muncie Southside) have a future date under the lights.

Sopko - Hobart. Impressive freshman who turned some heads.

Fiddler and Thacker - Bloomington South. Fiddler will be a leader for that team as a senior and Thacker as a Jr. returning E-ville SS winner. Looking at a possible Thacker - Hurford battle next year.

Hurford - Culver Community. See above. I believe He can be there next year.

Robinson - Lake Central. I almost put him in with Micic and Boston as locks, but we will have to see. Impressive, but not overly impressive (IMO). If he continues to work hard he will be there.

Hemmelgarn - Jay County. from what I saw he was kind of up and down this weekend, but had the ability to pull it off when he had to. Alot of top tier HWTS will be graduating and I anticipate him coming into that role.

Wright - E-ville Mater Dei. This kid is a grinder. Tough and deceiving. He moves into that top tier of HWT's also.

After the results from State this year.  The top guys better work their butts off or they

won't remain favorites for long.

Couldnt agree more. It seems we have reached that balance point in Indiana. We saw it for the most part the last couple of years, but there has always been those locks, and it seems the locks are getting fewer and fewer.

I think you need to add Bobby Steveson to the favorites next year placed fifth as a freshman, expect him to make some noise the next three years, only lost to Jason Tsirtsis, and Kirk Johnson this year

I agree. I think he may have placed higher had he not drawn KJ when he did.

Haven't seen anyone mention James. Perry Meridians 113. Am I the only one who thinks he has a good shot next year? I thought he wrestled tough. Is he really a freshman?

I think next year if Blanton and molloy would wrestle again, molloy would win

I am pretty sure that is what people thought would happen this year as well. 

It all depends on the day and the moment.  Blanton was able to catch fire, again, and Molloy happened to be the wrestler that was on the mat with Blanton.  Molloy will be a top contender for a state title again next year, and so will Blanton.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.