Has 220 just become even more interesting?

Caleb Spires

Everyone knew that Merrillville would have a tough 220, and throwing Knura in there, people assumed those would be probably the top 5 at state. But after watching Biberstone today, he was completely solid and unchallenged the entire day. Do you think he will be in any contention for the title?

After today there doesn't appear to be a favorite at 220. Kral beat Robinson again then loses to Gallegos. Knura loses to Bass. Then the guys from FW. This weight is going to be the most unpredictable.

Wait, Knura lost to Bass? I can't believe I missed that until just now.

I agree that it may be the most unpredictable.

I am not going to pull any punches here.  I thought the 220 weight class at Merrillville looked sloppy and weak.  There is no way the Crown Point kid should be ranked 1 all season.  I am not trying to be negative or mean towards this kid or any of the 22o pound wrestlers who have worked hard all season and even all their lives.  However, if Merrillville's 220s are the best in the state, then this weight class is down this year.  I'm guessing a different semi state wins this one.  195 is another story though.  I say Sliga has trouble beating Berry from Merrillville.  This kid wasn't on the mat a total of three minutes the whole day.  He is a beast!  I sure wouldn't want to face off against him.

I am not going to pull any punches here.  I thought the 220 weight class at Merrillville looked sloppy and weak.  There is no way the Crown Point kid should be ranked 1 all season.  I am not trying to be negative or mean towards this kid or any of the 22o pound wrestlers who have worked hard all season and even all their lives.  However, if Merrillville's 220s are the best in the state, then this weight class is down this year.  I'm guessing a different semi state wins this one.  195 is another story though.  I say Sliga has trouble beating Berry from Merrillville.  This kid wasn't on the mat a total of three minutes the whole day.  He is a beast!  I sure wouldn't want to face off against him.

:)

DOES THE NAME ADAM CHALFANT RING A BELL. A SMALL SCHOOL HEAVYWEIGHT WHO WAS VIRTUALLY OVER LOOKED BY THE WRESTLING COMMUNITY. SETH BIBERSTINE HAS THE GOODS TO WRESTLE UNDER THE LIGHTS. THE FT WAYNE SEMI-STATE HAS ANOTHER LEGIT SHOT AT A CHAMPION.

I am not going to pull any punches here.  I thought the 220 weight class at Merrillville looked sloppy and weak.  There is no way the Crown Point kid should be ranked 1 all season.  I am not trying to be negative or mean towards this kid or any of the 22o pound wrestlers who have worked hard all season and even all their lives.  However, if Merrillville's 220s are the best in the state, then this weight class is down this year.  I'm guessing a different semi state wins this one.  195 is another story though.  I say Sliga has trouble beating Berry from Merrillville.  This kid wasn't on the mat a total of three minutes the whole day.  He is a beast!  I sure wouldn't want to face off against him.

I respectfully disagree..Many of these guys have met a couple times now and some looked more cautious than before. If all 4 placers are on the podium on Saturday night I wouldn't be surprised. I don't see 220 as being weak..I see it as a buzzsaw that won't be 1 or 2 guys deep. I see it as a weight class that will keep the fans there instead of getting a jump on finding something to eat Friday night and saturday afternoon. Should be fun and how about a big hat off to the champ from Clay..He was very active all day and I liked his style..saw him at Al Smith and he looks like he's peaking at the right time. Kral will be fine and I look for a good run next week and Gelen Robinson has every bit of a chance to bring home a title next week as well. Sliga v.s. Berry is interesting..It'll be interesting to see how Berry does in deep water as he has ran through people this season..Will he be ready for that next step????

Biberstine reminds me of Vieck(?) from Vincennes Lincoln(?) a few years ago.  Came into state under the radar then powered his way to a title.  I'm not saying he will win state but his stature and wrestling style are very similar.

Biberstine had #6 ranked colby on his back in the first 20 seconds and was winning 8-0 when the pin occured in a minute into the first period. Biberstine is peaking at the right time and should give the Merrillvile wrestlers a good match.

I agree that the 220 (215) weight class has been weaker, as a whole, the last couple of years. For instance, last year a returning 160 pounder won the title at 215. Nothing against him, he is a great wrestler, but going up that much in weight and winning a title is damn near unheard of. That being said, I still think the 220s at Mville are as tough as they get this year. All of the top 3s losses had only been to the other 220s in that semi state. And I don't see how you can argue with Kral being ranked #1 all year. He's the highest returning placer, coming in 3rd last year.

These are huge kids who move like 45's and are as big as some heavies

You just described Biberstine....

This year may have the most athletic and explosive 220 lbers...   this willbe a very fun weightclass next weekend

DOES THE NAME ADAM CHALFANT RING A BELL. A SMALL SCHOOL HEAVYWEIGHT WHO WAS VIRTUALLY OVER LOOKED BY THE WRESTLING COMMUNITY. SETH BIBERSTINE HAS THE GOODS TO WRESTLE UNDER THE LIGHTS. THE FT WAYNE SEMI-STATE HAS ANOTHER LEGIT SHOT AT A CHAMPION.

Overlooked? He placed as a sophomore and got runner up as a junior. No one even came close to him his senior year. How was he overlooked?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.