Cody Phillips forfeits 3rd place match!

wrestler102

This isn't what it seems at first.

I don't see that as a big deal, actually a good move. Phillips is going to the state finals to WIN, not just to get a medal...

So, if your worried his head isnt in the game for a consol, forfeit instead of hurting his confidence worse by dropping 2 in a row b/c he's hung up on the 1st loss.

Regardless of whether that's the case or not, as a 4 he'll draw a 1 first, but this is perfect b/c when he beats the 1 he essentially is back on the track of the 1 seed after only 1 match instead of being stuck in the middle with 3's and 2's. As a non-1 seed he would have to beat a 1 anyways at some point to get back to the finals, so why not first round.

I think this is really good strategy, but it only works if your kid is superb and will likely win that match-up against a 1 friday night. Raw deal for the semi-state champ that draws Phillips Friday night!

This isn't what it seems at first.

I don't see that as a big deal, actually a good move. Phillips is going to the state finals to WIN, not just to get a medal...

So, if your worried his head isnt in the game for a consol, forfeit instead of hurting his confidence worse by dropping 2 in a row b/c he's hung up on the 1st loss.

Regardless of whether that's the case or not, as a 4 he'll draw a 1 first, but this is perfect b/c when he beats the 1 he essentially is back on the track of the 1 seed after only 1 match instead of being stuck in the middle with 3's and 2's. As a non-1 seed he would have to beat a 1 anyways at some point to get back to the finals, so why not first round.

I think this is really good strategy, but it only works if your kid is superb and will likely win that match-up against a 1 friday night. Raw deal for the semi-state champ that draws Phillips Friday night!

sure is goin to be a good friday nite

Yes, it is a risk. That is why it's a strategy and not just going with the norm.  Other strategies include onside kicks in football, holding the ball for the last shot in basketball, dropping water weight at the last minute, circling to your left against a guy with a good high crotch, choosing neutral when given the choice, keep the match on the mat or on your feet....

And he has what it takes to beat them as well wouldnt you say....thats why we wrestle...makes for an exciting friday night dont you think!

But ayersman has to be the favorite in that match. So yeah, he COULD win but yeah if he draws ayersman he probably will be one and done. If he draws crume that will be a very interesting match up, id like to see that match in the first round then ayersman Phillips personally

I was not there, but I heard that Cody did not report to the mat and ID out. 

I also heard that there is an IHSAA rule regarding this behavior, and that not reporting to the mat, causes you to not be able to wrestle the following week.

Can anyone with knowledge on both these matters please respond? 

That would be a horrible way to end your career.

Yes, it is a risk. That is why it's a strategy and not just going with the norm.  Other strategies include onside kicks in football, holding the ball for the last shot in basketball, dropping water weight at the last minute, circling to your left against a guy with a good high crotch, choosing neutral when given the choice, keep the match on the mat or on your feet....

No strategy he got hurt against LeCount

He wasn't hurt other than his pride. After the match he walked off the mat grabbed his warm-ups and mouthed to his coaches he's done and walked away.  I was setting in front row.  He then walkes up the stairs and talked to his dad, then went to bleachers and put his shoes,headgear and a shirt in his bag.  Oh he sat by his dad during awards ceremony for his class. Didn't look at all hurt!!

He wasn't hurt other than his pride. After the match he walked off the mat grabbed his warm-ups and mouthed to his coaches he's done and walked away.  I was setting in front row.  He then walkes up the stairs and talked to his dad, then went to bleachers and put his shoes,headgear and a shirt in his bag.  Oh he sat by his dad during awards ceremony for his class. Didn't look at all hurt!!

He never said he was done.....he was commenting on some of the calls he thought were questionable...after talking to both coaches they decided it was in his best interest to not wrestle and risk further injury.

[table]

[/table]

He never discussed it with his coaches because we watched one coach walk all around the floor looking for him and he was nowhere to be found at that point. We saw him sitting with his dad right before his match was supposed to start.

[table]

[td][/td][/table]

He never discussed it with his coaches because we watched one coach walk all around the floor looking for him and he was nowhere to be found at that point. We saw him sitting with his dad right before his match was supposed to start.

How do you know how he feels or who he talk too!

[table]

[td][/td][/table]

Yes because he discussed it with them before the semi finals round was over...Coach Briggs was looking for the tournament director to inform him...get you "facts" straight

This comment is going to get so much ridicule, but I completely agree. Making a transition from 103 to 126 is tough.

He went from 103 to 112 and it wasn't the same for him. I don't want anyone to think i'm against the kid, I loved watching him his first 2 years and now he's at @ 126 that a tough weight!

He went from 103 to 112 and it wasn't the same for him. I don't want anyone to think i'm against the kid, I loved watching him his first 2 years and now he's at @ 126 that a tough weight!

I 'm not going to say I disagree, but I think I can make more of  a case of guys who went to state or placed but didn't win at lower weights as FR & SO, then proceeded to win 1 or more State titles at higher weights.  Tim Myers, Steven Bradley, Reece Humphrey,...just to name a few off my head.

Honestly I don't blame Phillips at all for not wrestling the last match hurt or not. He was clearly robbed in the semis yes I totally agree with the one point for fleeing the mat. On the other hand the reversal at the end should have never been awarded and he should have gotten the call for the takedown in the 2nd. Then lecount runs around for the last 10 seconds really? Besides that he's been dealing with his shoulder injury for awhile now so I think he's thinkin about further in the future and wanting to be as fresh as he can for next week. Cody is an outstanding wrestler and person on and off the matt but really put yourself in his shoes how would you feel if that happened to you? I hope to see him with his hand raised one last time under the light don't forget his only lost 4 matches his high school career.

Honestly I don't blame Phillips at all for not wrestling the last match hurt or not. He was clearly robbed in the semis yes I totally agree with the one point for fleeing the mat. On the other hand the reversal at the end should have never been awarded and he should have gotten the call for the takedown in the 2nd. Then lecount runs around for the last 10 seconds really? Besides that he's been dealing with his shoulder injury for awhile now so I think he's thinkin about further in the future and wanting to be as fresh as he can for next week. Cody is an outstanding wrestler and person on and off the matt but really put yourself in his shoes how would you feel if that happened to you? I hope to see him with his hand raised one last time under the light don't forget his only lost 4 matches his high school career.

Lol well I would probably wrestle for 3/4 and not pout. There are plenty of kids that would've gladly taken his spot! Same goes for Boston he inj def as well. 126 was a quick medal round.

I 'm not going to say I disagree, but I think I can make more of  a case of guys who went to state or placed but didn't win at lower weights as FR & SO, then proceeded to win 1 or more State titles at higher weights.  Tim Myers, Steven Bradley, Reece Humphrey,...just to name a few off my head.

Reece Humphrey broke his leg at semi state freshman year moron.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.