Mishawaka Invite?

former130

This comes straight from the Mishawaka athletic department:

The Al Smith Invitational will go on as planned and be a great tournament, as always.

Athletic Director Jim Aldrich and Assistant Athletic Director Mike Faulkner look forward to seeing all coaches at the Dec 27th seeding meeting @7pm in room 106 at Mishawaka High School.

A personal note ...

The Al Smith Invitational took place for years before this, and will be going on for years in the future.

These people know what they are doing.

Regardless of what may be happening at Mishawaka, internally, the wrestling invitational is a whole 'nother matter. It will be fine. We all know that ANY meet with the name "Al Smith" attached to it is going to be first class!

You could see this easily becoming national news.  It will be interesting to see if they keep the tournament active once ESPN and ABC come calling regardless of anyone's innocence or guilt.  Everyone is looking at this as a local or sport specific issue.  Think globally about what happens when the reporters in the national news get this and it becomes a towering inferno. I hope that does not happen.  The alleged victim probably has suffered enough.

Updated news story video: http://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/MHS-Sexual-Assault-Victims-Dad-Talks--135896663.html

The optics of this thing are just so bad for our sport.  I can't imagine what the ihsaa thinks of us right now.  I feel for Darrick.

this story keeps getting worse...  and i feel for the boy who was "hazed"...

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but does it seem odd to anyone that Mishawaka's program remains active after the alleged rape of a kid with a blunt object?  Maybe I'm out on a limb here, but why let the sexual assault of a child stand in the way of the Al Smith tournament, right? 

The comments made by students on these articles are shocking like skipping class to cut weight, practice, sleep.  And other deviant actions. 

Here is an idea...and I KNOW it will be frowned upon by some...

How about we a a Wrestling Family, PRAY for all involved? 

We often talk about every wrestling being family, and our community, well here is where we put action to those words.

The Al Smith has long been one of the premier tourneys in our state, here is to hoping for a GREAT DAY OF WRESTLING!

The media tends to decide the outcome of these types of things way in advance of the actual investigations.  Let the internal and external (as Mish Supt stated) investigations occur before people pass judgement on anybody involved in this situation.  Everyone involved, I am sure, is a mess right now including the alleged victim, the person who reported it, and the individuals named in the accusation.  The news sites love their comments boards for the sheer joy of letting folks rip other people to shreds behind a computer screen, making statements and accusations, calling for peoples' heads when the arrests or investigations are made public.  The Al Smith Invitational is dedicated to man who lives and breaths what this sport is all about.  The tournament, created by him way back when, is the epitome of high school wrestling tournaments par none throughout the state and absolutely the region.  I have no words to express my shock at this level of alleged activity and the subsequent knowledge of it by others in the school (again, allegedly....I am not pointing a finger....allegedly is the safest word here)  However, if it comes to be fact, then the punishments should be meated out accordingly.  Canceling this tournament is punishing the other schools and their coaches, not just the alleged.  Keep the tournament for this year, then re-evaluate after the facts are out.  I cannot express the shock and anger I would have if this were my son and rightfully justified.  Again, the news companies live the comments boards for the gossip and mongering it allows.  I pray for this young man and his family. 

I don't see a whole lot of difference in this thread and what the news stations are reporting. People have been quick to come to his defense, which is fine, and other people have condemned the alleged actions. I don't see how this warrants a locked topic.

This is where people from across the state come to get information, if you start pulling down every controversial topic, it will only hurt the wrestling community overall.

I do not agree with your assessment of the news media. You need to weed out the garbage and pay attention to the facts only.

Fact : The Law Enforcement was notified of a possible crime. A felony at that. They take this very seriously.

Fact: An investigation warranted an arrest.

Fact: The school administration spoke to Coach Snyder and suspended him from his duties with pay.

Fact: Students have publicly confirmed that this bullying did occur.

Fact: Father of the victim spoke publicly and stated this did happen and Coach Snyder Did Know about it.

Those, as far as I can see, are the facts and I got that from the media. As sad as it is, this will not well end well for anyone and gives wrestling a bad rap too.

This is a subject matter that the media LOVES to run with, especially in light of the Penn State scandal.  If you haven't noticed, the articles have been running every day for a week, yet very little if any new information has been added to them.  The media will milk a story like this until it is dry.  While some of your points are true, I would wait until the dust settles to make your claims as I would expect that some information about the investigation would be coming out soon since it has been about a week since everything went down. 

I agree with you assessment of the media but it is our only source to get facts. The facts are there, you just have to weed out the garbage. All of my points are true. They are taken directly from the involved parties quotes. All I want is the TRUTH. This should not be swept under the rug and I feel as if some would prefer to do that. This could have been my child and yes I am as mad as  hell that this could have happened to any child. My Vagus Nerve is up and when that happens it is sign that something is terribly wrong. Someone needs to be thinking of the best way to protect this child. We are talking about the welfare of children being entrusted to teachers/coaches. It is part of their job to protect them. Something failed here or we would not be in this situation. Are you suggesting the victims are not being truthful?

After reading your two posts, I should have rephrased a little.  The media reports facts.  But the media also allows people to get on the "comments" boards and air any dirty laundry they might have to help propel the situation into utter nastiness. My problem is not so much with the media in this case. My problem lies with the media outlets allowing slanderous and distasteful comments from the secrecy of a keyboard without vetting any of it.  In no way am I suggesting the victims are "not being truthful."  The media does, however, LOVE this type of story.  Listen to Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry."   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.