Estimate your Genius Rating for the upcoming season based on returning starters

maligned

Ok, here's a quick way to estimate what your team's Genius POTENTIAL Rating will be for the upcoming season:

1. Count how many definite returning starters you have.

2. Subtract 6.

3. Multiply by 2.5

4. Add this to your POTENTIAL Rating from last season (or subtract if negative).

Example: Your POTENTIAL last year was 60.  You have 10 returning starters.  Subtract 6 from 10 to give you 4.  Multiply by 2.5 to get 10.  Add 10 to your POTENTIAL from last year to get a predicted 2011-12 POTENTIAL of 70.

So, what's your predicted rating?

Here are last year's ratings for reference: http://www.indianamat.com/genius-ratings-potential-overall/ 

South Bend Clay 83.97.... 10/14 starters returning.

How is strength of schedule figured out... ours seems weak and we wrestle Penn, Mishawaka, Merriville, Yorktown, Munster, Lake Central, Riley, Prarie Heights and many other quality teams.  I would just think that our conference schedule makes our schedule hard enough.  2 Years ago we beat 5 teams that won their Sectional and 2 teams that were in the team state finals including the runner-up... we finished 3rd in our sectional- 3rd in our conference.  Just wondering.

Our seniors were Matt Hill, Collin Crume, Eric Forrest, and Zach Myers, and our 103 from last year isn't doing it this year. But we have a MUCH better freshman that will be taking his spot.

damn...thought the other crume was going to opt out....

South Bend Clay 83.97.... 10/14 starters returning.

How is strength of schedule figured out... ours seems weak and we wrestle Penn, Mishawaka, Merriville, Yorktown, Munster, Lake Central, Riley, Prarie Heights and many other quality teams.  I would just think that our conference schedule makes our schedule hard enough.  2 Years ago we beat 5 teams that won their Sectional and 2 teams that were in the team state finals including the runner-up... we finished 3rd in our sectional- 3rd in our conference.  Just wondering.

You faced a large number of good teams--but not nearly the same "density" of good teams as many schools.  In other words, you faced lots of bad teams too.  Your SOS reflects the composite strength of all the teams you faced.  So a "normal" team from your schedule would have had about a 34 rating.  Quite low compared to many other teams.  Also, remember that tournament results against each particular team are only weighted half as much as dual meets.  So just because you saw some teams in a big individual tournament doesn't mean their weight shows up on your SOS as significantly.  Finally, what really killed you guys in particular is the fact that your scheduling weak spots were very weak.  Wrestling schools rated 200 or below a few times will hammer your strength of schedule number.  Some of the top schedules didn't see more than 2 or 3 schools ranked 150 or worse through the whole season.  You faced these rating levels:

289 (twice)

Maligned,  thanks for the response- that is what I wanted to know.  By the way the teams I listed were duals not individual tournaments, I would definitely see your point of not counting individual tournaments.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!  Its just fun being able to talk wrestling right now!

By the way the teams I listed were duals not individual tournaments, I would definitely see your point of not counting individual tournaments.

Yeah, sorry, I just looked at your blowouts quick and copied and pasted their ratings.  :)  I didn't check which opponents were duals or tournaments. 

And also, I wrote the wrong thing on a previous post--individual tourneys are weighted like half a dual meet against each team, not one fifth (except for 32-team events, which are weighted even less).  Don't know what I was thinking.

Looks like you guys will have a very strong team this year.  Good luck.

Pm is 114.16

Yeah, for the Top 20 teams or so, this projection number inflates your rating a little too much.  It's an "average" that's supposed to work reasonably well for all levels of teams.  Returning 10 starters for a top team like yours would, in most cases, yield pretty similar strength to the previous year; whereas I estimate returning only 6 starters would yield about the same level as the previous season for average teams.

I'm going to release a Genius projected Top 20 later on that will use more detailed calculations for top teams based on talent lost and gained.

Ben Davis 79.99...returning 12 starters but it's tough when some of those starters may not crack the line up (stinking weight class changes).  Could be a good thing for us though, some of these kids need to get bigger for us. And we had a transfer that started for LC last year that I am not counting...that puts us at 81.24.  It also doesn't change the fact that Perry is in our Sectionals. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.