Mishawaka Al Smith Classic - Wildcards!

I am very excited to announce that I finally got my administration to officially approve a Wildcard addition to the Al Smith Classic for next year!

In short, here is what I mean and how it will work:

Coaches are already required to send rosters in a couple weeks before the tournament.  Now coaches will be notified that if they have a forfeit listed that forfeit will not be able to be replaced by a wrestler.

Once I collect rosters, I will determine what weight classes have forfeits.  I will make a post on this website stating where we have openings.  Head Coaches or Athletic Directors will have an alotted amount of time to apply to get their wrestler in.

A panel will review potential wrestlers to be added.  One wrestler will be added in weight classes that have an opening.

I think it is going to be awesome and VERY exciting!

Please let me know your thoughts or any issues you forsee...Obviously these wrestlers and their coaches would have to be willing to sit their wrestler for 2 weighins.

Thanks!

Snyder

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting addition to a prestigious event.  Has this type of "wildcard" format been tried at another Indiana high school tournament before in any sport?  Sounds like a good idea, but it would seem that if it's within the rules it must be another gray area the IHSAA just never thought discuss before.  This maybe the one time a year when the state of Indiana is actually hoping for a few forfeits spread throughout the weight classes. 

Great idea!!!!!

It will be interesting though to see how many coaches allow one of their wrestlers to use up 2 of their weigh-ins... 

This could turn into an even better tournament!!!!!

I am very excited to announce that I finally got my administration to officially approve a Wildcard addition to the Al Smith Classic for next year!

Coaches are already required to send rosters in a couple weeks before the tournament.  Now coaches will be notified that if they have a forfeit listed that forfeit will not be able to be replaced by a wrestler.

Once I collect rosters, I will determine what weight classes have forfeits.  I will make a post on this website stating where we have openings.  Head Coaches or Athletic Directors will have an alotted amount of time to apply to get their wrestler in.

A panel will review potential wrestlers to be added.  One wrestler will be added in weight classes that have an opening.

Please let me know your thoughts or any issues you forsee...Obviously these wrestlers and their coaches would have to be willing to sit their wrestler for 2 weighins.

Thanks!

Snyder

you say that you will add "one" wrestler to weight classes that have an opening....if there are weight classes that have more than one opening, will you fill all available if possible?......is the goal just to get all classses completely full?.....or is it to add the best competition available?.....what's your thought on the criteria as to who gets the nod?.....best overall record, seniority, "reputation" or possiblity indiana mat ranking?......who is the "panel" going to made up of?......i would asume yourself and possibly some other area coaches?......and here's a "what if" scenario....... say one of your panel coaches has a pretty much sure shot at his wrestler being the champ with the existing competition at a given weight, but because of a forfeit, the reigning state champ is available and wants to wrestle.....the coach might vote against that kid?.......not saying that would happen, but it could......so in my opinion, you should set the ground rules as to what criteria you would use to choose who gets in and who doesn't.......i would think that indiana mat ranking would be good, but there is always the chance that some of the kids may not be ranked......possibly their overall record but it would need to be winning percentage since some schools wrestle alot more matches than others.....but none the less, to avoid problems at that time, i would have the formula all worked out ahead of time so all coaches know how you are picking.....either way though, it sounds like you are making a great tournament even better.......

This is an interesting addition, but it adds a challenge for coaches, too.  I'm guessing the added wrestlers will be the high quality ones.  If a coach have a wrestler who wants to complete at Al Smith and he also have a full allotment of duals and tournaments allowed by the IHSAA he will have to decide what other tournament or super dual to hold one of his top wrestlers out of.

Coaches are already required to send rosters in a couple weeks before the tournament.  Now coaches will be notified that if they have a forfeit listed that forfeit will not be able to be replaced by a wrestler.

Once I collect rosters, I will determine what weight classes have forfeits.  I will make a post on this website stating where we have openings.  Head Coaches or Athletic Directors will have an alotted amount of time to apply to get their wrestler in.

A panel will review potential wrestlers to be added.  One wrestler will be added in weight classes that have an opening.

Thanks!

Snyder

Are you saying that, a forfeit will be replaced by a wrestler from a team that is not entered in the contest? I'm cornfused... :-\

Has the IHSAA changed their bylaws?

The IHSAA used to only allow someone to compete unattached during the season if their own team was idle and their athletic director signed off on it.  

Rule 15.1.1 c. ? ?An outstanding student-athlete may participate as an individual during the authorized contest season of a sport, without loss of interschool eligibility provided the following criteria are met:

1. Complete and forward application form to Commissioner seven (7) days prior to the event.

2. Requires approval of parent, coach, principal and the Commissioner.

3. Requires certification by State, National or International organization verifying the student?s qualifications.

4. Requires prior arrangements to complete academic lessons, assignments, and/or tests.

5. Requires that the student not miss an Association-sponsored tournament series event or a school sponsored contest for which he/she is eligible. It is the philosophy of this Association that the student owes loyalty to their school and team.

6. Requires student and parent agreement to not accept, directly or indirectly, any awards, gifts, trips, merchandise, etc., which would violate IHSAA Rule 5 (Amateurism) or Rule 6 (Awards, Prizes, Gifts).?

Rule 15.1.2 a ? ?Participation in organized non-school sports competition during the authorized contest season, including the IHSAA tournament series, in that sport shall cause such students to become ineligible for their school team in that sport for a period not to exceed 365 days as determined by the Commissioner, unless an outstanding student-athlete waiver for said competition is approved by the coach, principal, and the IHSAA office is on file in the principal?s office. A maximum of two waivers may be granted during a contest season.?

You may not miss a school competition to participate in a non-school sponsored competition during the IHSAA authorized contest season.

Well norm technically they would be competing for their team and school  in a school sponsored contest.  So this situation isn't exactly the same as an unattached wrestler competing in a national or international event which allows both high school and non-high school competition.  This why the wrestler would have to be unattached from representing their high school. Most recent example for us would be Alex Tsirtsis being invited to and wrestling at the Midlands Tournament his senior year.     If it falls within the rules I would say its more akin to the idea of a Varsity 1 and Varsity 2 team that some teams have started using.  In this case the varsity 2 team for the Al Smith it would seem would just consist of one wrestler.  I agree that is seems strange that this type of issue would pass the rules, but as I mentioned earlier I believe it's probably a grey area the IHSAA has never thought to discussion before.  Though the idea of an individual invitational type event and the growth of Varsity 2 teams may eventually open the door of those talks eventually.

Step one was just getting my athletic department to approve the idea.  Certainly we will be working with the IHSAA to assure there are no rule vilolations.  Ultimately, if the IHSAA says no obviously we won't be doing this.  We will work to make sure it is set up in an IHSAA approved manner.

Our current understanding is the only restriction would be wrestlers must still adhere to weight management and weigh-in limit rules, etc...but some great questions have been discussed on here.  They will be checked out.

To address some other concerns, we will have a set of criteria to determine who is admitted to the tournament.  Criteria are still be worked out and will be made public.  Essentially, criteria will be similar to what we use to seed Al Smith - record, quality wins, accomplishments, etc.  The number ONE goal will be to admit the best and most deserving wrestlers where there is an opening.  I will absolutely promise you that we will never look to avoid adding someone so one of our wrestlers has a better chance to win the tournament.  I am doing this to add to the competition of the tournament.  I want my guys to wrestle the best competition possible during the season.  I always tell them no one remembers your record or what happened during the season - we only remember what happened at the end of the year.

Still working out a lot of details, but there will be a panel of which I will be a part...the panel will be made public and the criteria used will be too.  I think at least for the first year we will only add one wrestelr per weight where there is an opening.  Hope this helps...

Thanks

Snyder

My athletic director called the IHSAA today.  He talked to Robert Faulkners as Bobby Cox was unavailable.  We were told we will have an answer within one week.  At first it was brought up that it might count as 2 weighins for the enitre team.  Obviously that would not work...After some dicussion, we were told it would probably just count as two weighins for the individual.  They are going to discuss it and get back to us.

Just wanted to let everyone know where we are at.

Thanks

Snyder

My athletic director called the IHSAA today.  He talked to Robert Faulkners as Bobby Cox was unavailable.  We were told we will have an answer within one week.  At first it was brought up that it might count as 2 weighins for the enitre team.  Obviously that would not work...After some dicussion, we were told it would probably just count as two weighins for the individual.  They are going to discuss it and get back to us.

Just wanted to let everyone know where we are at.

Thanks

Snyder

As per the current rules the weigh-ins are counted towards the individual not the team.  This is the reason for both separate Varsity 2 meets and JV competitions without hurting your Varsity 1 match number.  If they counted all weigh-in's per team that would create some havoc with most schools schedules.  Guess it's another situation of the IHSAA needing to realize wrestling is a slightly separate animal than other sports.

Before 2006 our team did not have a complete schedule with 18 points filled for contests. This would be great if there are still smaller teams out there without full schedules and have a stud or two. This could possibly get those kids the competition they need. Great idea!!

Great idea!!!!!

It will be interesting though to see how many coaches allow one of their wrestlers to use up 2 of their weigh-ins... 

This could turn into an even better tournament!!!!!

It will be interesting to see if the IHSAA allows this.  Coaches will have to make sure that they watch the schedules as a wrestler will still only be able to compete in a maximum of seven tournament/super dual  format events.

Jimtown,

I am not planning to limit it to Indiana.  This being said certainly special preference will be given to Indiana Wrestlers.  I am not planning to really advertise it in other states, but they will be permitted to apply.  If an outstanding out of state wrestler applies, we will certainly consider it...but I see it as something that we will look for top Indiana wrestlers to take advantage of.

Thanks

Snyder

Jimtown,

I am not planning to limit it to Indiana.  This being said certainly special preference will be given to Indiana Wrestlers.  I am not planning to really advertise it in other states, but they will be permitted to apply.  If an outstanding out of state wrestler applies, we will certainly consider it...but I see it as something that we will look for top Indiana wrestlers to take advantage of.

Thanks

Snyder

wow.....that throws in a whole nother set of possibilities......is there any michigan schools in it now?.......i don't recall......has there ever been any teams not from indiana in it?......

Y2 is correct - no out of state teams.  I stuggle with that issue.  We certainly have some out of state teams interested.  I love the idea of different competition that no team in the tournament sees...however, I don't like the idea of taking an indiana team out and replacing them with an out of state team.  I have gone back and forth on this issue for years.  I continue to go with Indiana Teams, but I see the value in a strong out of state team or two...

I think if a wildcard individual is pulled into the tournament this year and he wins the tourney, then the school he is competing for should be invited to the tournament the following year.  If teams are entering the tournament with several forefeits then maybe their spot should be given to a school that will field a full and competitive team.  I know some schools don't have a 103lber but 3-4 forefeits is unacceptable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.