best wrestler in indiana

hammer91

I would like to hear who has done the best at a national level and who has done the best at state over the past 4 years Guys like phillips, Stevenson, jackson, Sigla are probaly better than most on this list. Some guys on this list had one good state finals and some have had great highschool careers.

I would like to hear who has done the best at a national level and who has done the best at state over the past 4 years Guys like phillips, Stevenson, jackson, Sigla are probaly better than most on this list. Some guys on this list had one good state finals and some have had great highschool careers.

Mason Todd and Neal Malloy......Some parents do not have the benefit or the time to send their children across the country to wrestle and I am pretty sure that is the same way it is all over the country.  If I had a child that was that good or he/she thought that they were that good I sure would like to be able to send them all over the US to wrestle the best competition and I know that it would serve them well but we are talking about Indiana and our local kids....

National competition is great and will help them a lot if they go to the college level and wrestle but look at all of the Indiana wrestlers that are doing well at the next level without a lot of national competition.....I personally think that Andrew Howe and Angel would have still done as well as they have done without doing national tournaments.  There are no tougher kids anywhere else than here in Indiana......It is more about who has more drive and will power than the next kid from another state....All of these Indiana kids on this list and several more are well deserving and if they go to the next level will be all stars...

Ayersman after winning his second title the way he did awesome! Also won the weight with the 112 pound champ in it last season along with pinning the 125lb champ in a minute last year. I'm thinking Ayersman hands down 3,1,1,1 he is going to be on of the best in Indiana history

Mason Todd and Neal Malloy......Some parents do not have the benefit or the time to send their children across the country to wrestle and I am pretty sure that is the same way it is all over the country.  If I had a child that was that good or he/she thought that they were that good I sure would like to be able to send them all over the US to wrestle the best competition and I know that it would serve them well but we are talking about Indiana and our local kids....

National competition is great and will help them a lot if they go to the college level and wrestle but look at all of the Indiana wrestlers that are doing well at the next level without a lot of national competition.....I personally think that Andrew Howe and Angel would have still done as well as they have done without doing national tournaments.  There are no tougher kids anywhere else than here in Indiana......It is more about who has more drive and will power than the next kid from another state....All of these Indiana kids on this list and several more are well deserving and if they go to the next level will be all stars...

What wrestlers are having success in college that didn't expose themselves to high level national tournaments?

What wrestlers are having success in college that didn't expose themselves to high level national tournaments?

How do you define success?  Is it by AA status or wins?  There is a reason I am asking, not trolling....

To be a true judge of talent you have to wrasle the big tournaments - Juniors -super 32 - escpeially if your from Indiana - since our talent pool is not as deep as some states.

When you get to college some of the factors tend to even out/ in high school being 19 almost 20 is a big difference than being 17.  As you get older and mature fully it will even out.

I will give you a good example - Bryce Hasseman - state placer ? in high school - NCAA qualifer - now # 2-3 in the freestyle ranking. Late bLOOMER - HARD WORKER

Just saying that just because some people can't send their kids across the nation to wrestle because of expenses, doesn't mean that they won't do well at the next level....Remember, the next level just doesn't mean Division 1 wrestling....There are lot's of Indiana wrestlers that are wrestling at division 2, 3 , NAIA, NJCO that are doing quite well....Look at Lincoln College, Harper College....Just because they aren't Escobedo, Howe and several others doesn't mean that they aren't successful...

How do you define success?  Is it by AA status or wins?  There is a reason I am asking, not trolling....

I think some may define success as being able to continue competing at something they love while attaining a college education regardless of the number of wins and losses they have.

I actually think as far as skill set goes, and whether or not that skill set will transfer well to the next level, I'd put Rattay right up there. That pressuring style where you're creating a lot of action tranfers well to college IMO. It's difficult to just get to your tie and break a guys position at the next level. A lot of points come in the flurries and in the scrambles. A controlled attacking/pressuring style creates action (to use a Gable term) and generates opportunities to score. Rattay, if you watch him, is very good at creating action and chaining his leg attacks together.

I like to see  a wrestler ( Team) put it all together.  Not just on the mat , but in the classroom. You can have all the success you want on the National or State Level. Your G.P.A. and ACT/SAT scores will still prevent you from wrestling at the next level.

Just saying that just because some people can't send their kids across the nation to wrestle because of expenses, doesn't mean that they won't do well at the next level....Remember, the next level just doesn't mean Division 1 wrestling....There are lot's of Indiana wrestlers that are wrestling at division 2, 3 , NAIA, NJCO that are doing quite well....Look at Lincoln College, Harper College....Just because they aren't Escobedo, Howe and several others doesn't mean that they aren't successful...

Over the past five years we really haven't had too many lower division AAs either.  Probably have had about 3 DII and DIII, with about 5 JUCO AAs and if we are lucky 1 or 2 NAIA AAs.  Our success nationally has not been as good as it could be.

Michael Johnson-Jones, D'Marcus Spencer, Brandon Wright, Adam Chalfant, Alex Johns, Gavin McGinley, Evan Wooding.....

National competition is great and will help them a lot if they go to the college level and wrestle but look at all of the Indiana wrestlers that are doing well at the next level without a lot of national competition.....I personally think that Andrew Howe and Angel would have still done as well as they have done without doing national tournaments.   There are no tougher kids anywhere else than here in Indiana......It is more about who has more drive and will power than the next kid from another state....All of these Indiana kids on this list and several more are well deserving and if they go to the next level will be all stars...

If you're kid wants to compete all over the US, it's possible, regardless of your financial capabilities.  Motivate them to find sponsors, do raffles, or other fundraising activities.  Have them get help from their high school club and do a group fundraiser.  Don't have time to take them?  Find a parent that is going and see if they can ride with them.  If they want to compete or take advantage of other training opportunities out there, they need to work for it.  If you couldn't get approved for a loan to buy a house would you give up or figure out a solution?

Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.

John Wooden

Being successful doesn?t mean you won 4 state titles and became an Olympic gold medalist. While most would see that as successful, what if that individual had the ability to never let a single person score on him and become a 2 time gold medalist but settled for just winning and not being the absolute best he or she could be.

Each person is different and I would disagree with someone who said success comes from beating everyone. You can only do as well as your ability will allow. You can out work every person in the state but it won't necessarily mean you?re going to win a state title. You can only achieve what your max potential will allow.

It?s like telling your wrestle to go and give 110% on the mat. He can't, the most that wrestler can give is 100%, that?s all they have. To me that?s successful. You shouldn't be measured on what you accomplish alone, but rather what you did with the ability you were given.

In my opinion, preperation and effort are the keys to success, by preparing as much as you can and giving every ounce of effort inorder to ensure you perform your best will give you all you have and need to be successful.

[/quote Andrew Howe trained  at over time in Illinois and that cost thousands a year and wrestled all over the country. Angle trained all over the country and brought in top coaches and wrestled all over the country at nationals. Maloy and todd have been to nationals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.