Trey Reese..........pinned his way through Conseco

Scout101

Ok so here is the real question which is more impressive pinning your way to a state titlelike Reese did or tech falling your way to a state title like Howe did a few years ago?

Personally, I say pinning your way through.  The ultimate goal of a wrestling match is the pin.  Although, I think smart people can disagree on this issue.

Ok so here is the real question which is more impressive pinning your way to a state titlelike Reese did or tech falling your way to a state title like Howe did a few years ago?

Pinning, no question. There's a reason it's worth the most points, it's the most difficult. Tech falling typically, not always, occurs when you can't turn a guy and keep him on his back so you keep taking them down.

Have to disagree here.  Falls are called so fast (aka "touch falls") that I'm not sure they're worth six team points.  On the other hand, it might take five takedowns or more to get a tech fall.

Think of it this way:  Boomsma getting upset by fall is much more likely to happen than by tech fall, or even major.

I've said for several years it would be very impressive for any wrestling to pin his way through the state tournament.  Hats off to Reese for accomplishing this very hard achievement.  Any new on how many other pins he had during the entire tournament series?

Congrats Trey! What a way to end an incredible season. Best of luck next year at Marian. Cant wait to go watch you and billy tear it up on the football field.

As for me I believe that in general a tech fall is more impressive than a fall. Everyone can get caught but to  tech someone you have to completely dominate the match. The only way Trey could have looked more impressive in my opinion is if he had teched his way through but either way its one heck of an accomplishment.

Best of luck cuz

Ryan Baker

Everyone can get caught but to  tech someone you have to completely dominate the match.

I'm using your comment more as a springboard for my post more than trying out debate your view.  I agree a tech falling all your state level competition is very impressive.

I would say that everyone could get caught if he just did it one time to a good opponent, but Reece did pin some of the top best 215 pounders in the state in one day.  I would assume they were  little better than average, so in essence it would would seem he did a little more than catch them.  

The difference I see between a tech fall and a pin is really the time it takes to accomplish both.  If you can get your opponent to break position while you are in the right spot you can get a pin quickly at any point in the match.  However, a tech fall would take time to build up since you are scoring just a few point at a time.  With most opponent going into block/defense mode I would say a tech fall at the state level would be hard to get mostly due to time constraints more than anything else.  A tech usually shows your just that much better at one aspect of wrestling than your opponents, but doesn't always show much more.  We have seen more people tech their way through state on take down ability than we have seen people pin their way through state.  So, its hard for me to think that tech is more impressive.  If those guys were so much more dominate in every aspect you would think after a large point lead they would be able to easily turn and pin their opponent by the end of the match too.  Either many of these tech guys couldn't find a way to pin their opponent once they changed to block/defense mode, so went back to their bread and butter techniques to get the pin.  Or they have also been instilled with the idea that the tech is more dominate than a pin, so they have lost their drive to work on mastering the pin fall against top level competition.  Pinning shows you have to out wrestle your opponents in one position followed by placing them on their back in a different position.  Not down grading the tech fall since it is ultra impressive at the state level but as a pure accomplishment I would say finding a way to pin all of your state level competition is just as amazing.  Heck, no one wants to get pinned in state even if they are getting dominated by their opponent.  

In no way was I trying to take anything away from trey. He showed 100% that he was the most dominate wrestler at 215. I also didnt mean that he caught all of his opponents. I mean he pinned with a half in the finals if im remembering right. My post had nothing to do with trey i simply ment that in my opinion a tech fall is more dominate in most cases than a pin. If your a person that believes a pin is better then by all means you have a right to believe that.

Ryan Baker

I knew you were not trying to downgrade Trey which is why I tried to phrase the start of my last post to make it more of a springboard for an alternative view rather than a complaint against your point. 

By the way last one was actually a rolling scramble to a headlock finish.  Not sure about the rest of them.

Here is an email that our Ad got from the IHSAA.

Nick,

I didn?t have this handy Saturday night but thought I?d pass this along to you?

In pinning all four of his state finals opponents at last weekend?s Individual Wrestling State Finals, Indian Creek?s 215 pound state champion Trey Reese became the first to do so since 1998. D.J. Radnovich of Gibson Southern pinned all four 215 pounders he faced that year. Others to accomplish that feat include: Ray Frankowski, Hammond (165, 175), 1936-38; Sam Lamb, Evansville Bosse (132), 1973 and; James Dickerson, New Castle (Hwt.), 1995.

There may be others that have done so but these are the only ones we?ve been able to say for certain as individual match results aren?t readily available prior to the early 1980s.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Wille

Sports Information Director

Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.

PO Box 40650, 9150 N. Meridian Street

Indianapolis, IN 46240-0650

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.