Unable to Practice

GrecoISU

Here's the deal... Schools were in on Monday but facilities were closed by 4:00 PM so teams were unable to practice.  School has been canceled Tuesday through now Friday.  Administration will not allow us to be on the grounds of the school due to the condition of the parking lot and sidewalks (Just about 1.5 inches of ice).  At the moment the American Red Cross is at the school.  I have a feeling we will not be able to practice tomorrow either. 

We have tried:

Local colleges

Local workout facilities

Local martial arts facilities

No luck.  Suggestions?  How many other schools has this happened to?

I've stepped away from HS coaching, but it seems every corporation has a different policy on this situation. I know there have been many times our administration said "No!" to practice when a few miles away they were practicing. We've had kids get together at a local gym to workout, but NOBODY associated with the program could be present. If a parent(s) supervised then it wasn't violating corporation policy. I hate to see that happen to anybody.

I've stepped away from HS coaching, but it seems every corporation has a different policy on this situation. I know there have been many times our administration said "No!" to practice when a few miles away they were practicing. We've had kids get together at a local gym to workout, but NOBODY associated with the program could be present. If a parent(s) supervised then it wasn't violating corporation policy. I hate to see that happen to anybody.

The ability to get together and practice isn't the issue, the facility is.  Typically the 2nd day of being out of school without practice we are allow to practice.  Usually it's at the school.

In most parts of Indiana these days, you can find:

-  a parent with some temporary roll-up mats

-  a parent or local guy with a tricked-out pole barn including heat

If you have no other option, I'd start asking around until you find the 2nd (pole barn) then try to locate the 1st.

At Andrean we had practice on Monday, were told that we could not have practice on Tuesday because of the winter storm, and school has been closed the last 2 days so we can not practice.  Still waiting on tommorrow to see if we can get another practice in before regionals.

The training in Rocky IV appears to have been inspired by a wrestler!

Ivan Yarygin, the legendary Russian 100 kg 2x olympic gold medalist.

I once met him while he was coaching the Russian national team, he traded me for a cheap pin I had...I got a very nice medallion he had from the reknown Tiblisi tournament.

Here is a Russian documentary film....see any resemblances to Rocky's training here?

I know one of the Turkey run coaches used to have some mats in his pole barn.  and I am sure Sullivan would be open arms to you guys.  PM me it you want , but i think its against IHSAA rules for schools to practice with each other.

I know one of the Turkey run coaches used to have some mats in his pole barn.  and I am sure Sullivan would be open arms to you guys.  PM me it you want , but i think its against IHSAA rules for schools to practice with each other.

Thanks, I don't think it will be needed since ISU was able to allow us to practice there.  I guess 2 days of practice are better than none!

I was just talking to a friend about this yesterday. Obviously, it's a hindrance to not have mat access, but if a wrestler is motivated, there should be nothing that stops him from getting a good workout at home and sweating. Push ups, sit ups, jump rope. Heck, i used to put on sweats and run up and down our basement stairs. Not to mention, there's plenty of snow and ice to shovel / chip. I shoveled for 20 minutes yesterday and I was drenched in sweat!  You can shadow wrestle and do hip heists, etc. on the living room floor. Most kids (the ones I used to coach are included!) are just too lazy to do it on their own without a coach there to "make them" do it.  They would rather whine about not having practice and not being able to make weight.  That reminds me of one of my favorite t-shirt quotes:

"I will find a way, or I will make a way"  - Hannibal

Good luck to all wrestlers at regional this Saturday!!

Its happened to my school, I am a junior at Lake Station High School in Northwest Indiana, it gets me mad that they have cancelled the practices, because I have Regionals on Saturday, yes I have practiced at home, but I could use the practice from my teammates as well, we should get a 3 pound allowance for this.

Its happened to my school, I am a junior at Lake Station High School in Northwest Indiana, it gets me mad that they have cancelled the practices, because I have Regionals on Saturday, yes I have practiced at home, but I could use the practice from my teammates as well, we should get a 3 pound allowance for this.

you need to let your coach know to contact the IHSAA, they need to know who hasnt been practicing to get the 3-4 pound allowance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.