If everyone was the sam weight in the state....... Who would win???

iWatch

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the video... looks like he might have fallen into it... corect me if i'm wrong  but still impressive!

Drake Stein vs. Mitch Sliga Junior 189lbs Freestyle

Let the corrections begin...fell...fell into a side headlock...not only does it take sack to attempt such a throw,  but to attempt it at that weight against a stud shows the young man has no fear.  A kid with the skill that Sliga demonstrates coulpled with a fearlessness to attempt anything shows me that the sky's the limit for this young man.

No offense to Sliga but his resume isn't the same as Tsirtsis.  He lost one time freshman year to Cashe' was regarded as the best pound for pound wrestler then.  Then Tsirtsis defeated him to win state.  The next year Cash'e was an All-American at Purdue University.  Pound for pound Tsirtsis has Sliga's resume beat.  It's not about where people are from just facts. 

No offense to Sliga but his resume isn't the same as Tsirtsis.  He lost one time freshman year to Cashe' was regarded as the best pound for pound wrestler then.  Then Tsirtsis defeated him to win state.  The next year Cash'e was an All-American at Purdue University.  Pound for pound Tsirtsis has Sliga's resume beat.  It's not about where people are from just facts. 

Can you say Triple Crown Nationally as a 1st year Cadet this kid is going to be Indys Best ever!! After all said and done

Amen to that!

Can you say Triple Crown Nationally as a 1st year Cadet this kid is going to be Indys Best ever!! After all said and done

Wow!  Before you should even say such a thing it would be nice if he was a state champion!  Bold statement!  So let me get this straight.....  Now you are saying he is the best Indiana has ever seen?

Mitch is that you???? ::)

Didn't Tsirtsis also lost to Napules? And wasn't he taken into OT by Jackson? I'm not knocking the kid--he's beaten a litany of studs besides Quiroga and is #1 in the nation for a reason, but Sliga's accomplishments thus far, considering his age and weigh class, are no less remarkable.

Dingo I disagree with you on wt class.  130-152 lbs are the deepest and toughest wt classes IMO.

Tsirtsis Credentials

Junior Freestyle Junior 135 3rd Lost to Ormsbee

USAW Central Reg-PW/ Junior 135 1st

ASICS FILA Jr. Natio FILA Jr. 4th Beat about 2 or 3 college wrestlers including Sam White.  Lost to Dardanes and Rupp.  Placed ahead of Ramos and many other studs

FILA Cadet Nationals FILA Cadet & 1st

2009 USAW Cadet FreeCadet 130 2nd lost to Cooper

FILA Cadet Freestyle FILA Cadet 1st

ASICS USAW Jr./Cad. Cadet 130 1st

Flonational 1st

Super 32 2nd both years  (lost to Cagnina as Soph)

Undefeated both years at scholastic duals and was OW last year

Two time state Champ beating Quiorga his Freshman year.  Nobody thought that was going to happen.

Sliga and Tsirtsis are one year apart so it is not that big of a difference.  I am not taking anything away from Sliga because he is a stud, but his credentials do not compare with Jason's.  I am not aware of Sliga's major victory's over nationally ranked kids?  Who are some?  Tsirtsis has continued to beat kids 2-3 years older than him that are nationally ranked.  Maybe Sliga will be right there with him but he does not enter the big tournaments besides Scholastic Duals and Cadet Nationals.  Maybe this is due to Football, but right now Tsirtsis has better credentials.  Sliga may some day but not right now.  

Just my opinion, both are outstanding wrestlers and glad they represent Indiana.  And yes Tsirtsis did lose to Napules his Freshman year.

I don't agree that Tsirtsis has faced a much tougher road. While I agree that the middle weights are deeper with talent, Tsirtsis didn't consistently face opponents with huge physical advantages. Its very common for underclassmen to dominate lower and middle weight classes. Its very, very rare for freshmen and sophs to dominate in the upper weight classes. Sliga hasn't lost in almost a year, despite being very busy this past summer. Sliga still has a ways to go to be considered on Jason's level, but he's already in the discussion, all things considered. 

Dingo I disagree with you on wt class.  130-152 lbs are the deepest and toughest wt classes IMO.

Tsirtsis Credentials

Junior Freestyle Junior 135 3rd Lost to Ormsbee

USAW Central Reg-PW/ Junior 135 1st

ASICS FILA Jr. Natio FILA Jr. 4th Beat about 2 or 3 college wrestlers including Sam White.  Lost to Dardanes and Rupp.  Placed ahead of Ramos and many other studs

FILA Cadet Nationals FILA Cadet & 1st

2009 USAW Cadet FreeCadet 130 2nd lost to Cooper

FILA Cadet Freestyle FILA Cadet 1st

ASICS USAW Jr./Cad. Cadet 130 1st

Flonational 1st

Super 32 2nd both years  (lost to Cagnina as Soph)

Undefeated both years at scholastic duals and was OW last year

Two time state Champ beating Quiorga his Freshman year.  Nobody thought that was going to happen.

Sliga and Tsirtsis are one year apart so it is not that big of a difference.  I am not taking anything away from Sliga because he is a stud, but his credentials do not compare with Jason's.  I am not aware of Sliga's major victory's over nationally ranked kids?  Who are some?  Tsirtsis has continued to beat kids 2-3 years older than him that are nationally ranked.  Maybe Sliga will be right there with him but he does not enter the big tournaments besides Scholastic Duals and Cadet Nationals.  Maybe this is due to Football, but right now Tsirtsis has better credentials.  Sliga may some day but not right now. 

Just my opinion, both are outstanding wrestlers and glad they represent Indiana.  And yes Tsirtsis did lose to Napules his Freshman year.

Bruschi,

I don't disagree with what you are saying one bit, but one minor correction.  While Sliga is one year younger in grade, they are two years separated in USAW age groups.  Comparing them when they were the same age, Tsirtsis was 3rd(or 4th) as a first year Cadet wrestling 119lbs, while Sliga won a Triple Crown as a first year Cadet at 189lbs.  It will be fun watching these two along with others the next few years not only in Indiana, but on the national level too.

Dingo ,

You make a good point about the physical size at the upper wts.  But has Sliga wrestled a ranked wrestler nationally?  He could have I am just unaware of this.  If not mainly he is beating kids his own age and size on the national level, which he is dominating.  

Y2,

You are right that Sliga has another year of cadet.  But if jason would have waited one more year and not wrestled as a Cadet  between 8th and Freshman year he would have been a Cadet last year??  He could have been a Cadet just like Sliga, correct?  Between 9th and 10th and 10th and 11th?  I guess I always just assumed Jason entered Cadets one year early,  I could be wrong on this though.

I guess Tsirtsis has had many more opportunities to beat nationally ranked kids as well.  Maybe when Sliga gets the chance he will as well.

Again great to have a debate like this, both are studs and it is fun to talk about.  

Im going for Stevenson at 189 in a VERY close match with Sliga, i think he would have himself a state championship from last year had he not been hurt... too many people have seemed to forget what he has done, i watched him dominate Rosebrock last year 10-1 with Rosebrock only scoring by being cut loose and then watched Sliga have a pretty close match with him for 3rd at state... I really couldnt tell you who will win this matchup but Stevenson should NOT be counted out by any means

Y2,

You are right that Sliga has another year of cadet.  But if jason would have waited one more year and not wrestled as a Cadet  between 8th and Freshman year he would have been a Cadet last year??  He could have been a Cadet just like Sliga, correct?  Between 9th and 10th and 10th and 11th?  I guess I always just assumed Jason entered Cadets one year early,  I could be wrong on this though.

USAW age groups are determined by the year you were born.  So Jason did not go Cadet "early."  Cadets are wrestlers that turn 15 and 16 years old throughout the year and Juniors are 17-19 years old and still in high school.  You can also wrestle junior if you are 15 or 16 and in high school.    

Sliga has defeated some nationally ranked wrestlers, but not ones at the level that Tsirtsis has due to basically not having much opportunity.  When Sliga was in 8th grade he wrestled schoolboys(13-14 year olds) and when Tsirtsis was the same age he was wrestling cadets.  Sliga also has pinned state champion Drake Stein this spring at freestyle state.  

I hope to see both hitting the national circuit this spring and summer as they are both great representatives of the state in both their wrestling skills, but also their demeanor on the mat.

TheOpenMat hasn't forgotten about Stevenson..... check out last weeks rankings....

Rank YR First Last City State Last WK

1 Sr. Morgan McIntosh Calvary Chapel CA 1

2 Jr. Gage Harrah Crystal Lake IL 2

3 Sr. Kenny Courts Central Duaphin PA 3

4 Jr. Devin Peterson Wisconsin Rapids WI 4

5 So. Mitch Sliga Fishers IN 5

6 Sr. Luke Sheridan De LaSalle CA 6

7 Jr. Huston Evans St. Paris-Graham OH 8

8 Sr. James Fox St. Peters Prep NJ 9

9 Sr. Curtis Berger Hermiston OR 10

10 Sr. Aaron Stevenson Indian Creek IN 12

11 Sr. Alex Utley CVCA OH 13

12 Sr. Brandon Abernathy Indianola IA 14

13 Sr. Ophir Bernstein Allen TX 15

14 Sr. Josh DaSilveira Cardinal Gibbons FL 16

15 Sr. Mike Ettore Brandon FL 17

16 Jr. Gabe Dean Lowell MI HM

17 Jr. Chaz Gresham Goshen OH 18

18 Sr. Cody Johnston Warrensburg MO 20

19 Sr. Justin Heiserman Dundee MI HM

20 Sr. Cory Brester Howells NE HM

Honorable Mention   

HM Sr. Phil Sprenkle Dallastown PA 

HM Jr. James Suvak St. Edwards OH 

HM Sr. Nick Kidd Mount Hermon MA 

HM Sr. Mike Mauk St. Marks DE 

HM Sr. Jay Taylor Burrell PA 

HM Jr. Brad Johnson Lockport IL 

HM Sr. Stephen Ceremuga Commodore-Perry PA 

HM Sr. Preston Quam San Clemente CA 

HM Sr. Sam Wheeler Copley OH 

HM Sr. Pat Downey Oviedo FL 

HM Jr. Roland Dunlap Muskego WI

The Complete Rankings... http://news.theopenmat.com/2011/01/clinch-gear-national-individual-high-school-wrestling-rankings-%e2%80%93-01-19-2011/

TheOpenMat hasn't forgotten about Stevenson..... check out last weeks rankings....

Rank YR First Last City State Last WK

1 Sr. Morgan McIntosh Calvary Chapel CA 1

2 Jr. Gage Harrah Crystal Lake IL 2

3 Sr. Kenny Courts Central Duaphin PA 3

4 Jr. Devin Peterson Wisconsin Rapids WI 4

5 So. Mitch Sliga Fishers IN 5

6 Sr. Luke Sheridan De LaSalle CA 6

7 Jr. Huston Evans St. Paris-Graham OH 8

8 Sr. James Fox St. Peters Prep NJ 9

9 Sr. Curtis Berger Hermiston OR 10

10 Sr. Aaron Stevenson Indian Creek IN 12

11 Sr. Alex Utley CVCA OH 13

12 Sr. Brandon Abernathy Indianola IA 14

13 Sr. Ophir Bernstein Allen TX 15

14 Sr. Josh DaSilveira Cardinal Gibbons FL 16

15 Sr. Mike Ettore Brandon FL 17

16 Jr. Gabe Dean Lowell MI HM

17 Jr. Chaz Gresham Goshen OH 18

18 Sr. Cody Johnston Warrensburg MO 20

19 Sr. Justin Heiserman Dundee MI HM

20 Sr. Cory Brester Howells NE HM

Honorable Mention   

HM Sr. Phil Sprenkle Dallastown PA 

HM Jr. James Suvak St. Edwards OH 

HM Sr. Nick Kidd Mount Hermon MA 

HM Sr. Mike Mauk St. Marks DE 

HM Sr. Jay Taylor Burrell PA 

HM Jr. Brad Johnson Lockport IL 

HM Sr. Stephen Ceremuga Commodore-Perry PA 

HM Sr. Preston Quam San Clemente CA 

HM Sr. Sam Wheeler Copley OH 

HM Sr. Pat Downey Oviedo FL 

HM Jr. Roland Dunlap Muskego WI

The Complete Rankings... http://news.theopenmat.com/2011/01/clinch-gear-national-individual-high-school-wrestling-rankings-%e2%80%93-01-19-2011/

Just Wondering has Sliga wrestled any of the kids that are on this list, I know Stevenson beat the sophmore national champ Jr. James Suvak St. Edwards OH  this past summer pretty easily

Aside from the nationally ranked Stein, Sliga beat VA's state runner-up Joe Jessen, a junior, IL junior Chris Johnson (6th in IL), almost teched CO's state runner-up, junior Shay Hansen, 4th ranked MI senior Jackson Lewis, 5th ranked IL wrestler Taylor McGiffen, 6th ranked Iowa wrestler Mickey Pelfrey, MO #1 ranked Hashem Omari....with no losses during that same duration. In almost two years, he's only lost to national caliber Braden Atwood and state champ Michael Johnson-Jones, both seniors while Sliga was a freshman in a strength-dominated weight class.

My vote would have to go with Tsirtsis. As a freshman he beat cash (returning champ and true freshman all American D1) and Brandon wright (2X champ, 2X runner up). Both kids Jr or Sr. So I'm sure they were physically stronger. He has 2 state titles in 2 years and don't seem to be slowing up.

Stevenson has beaten all kinds of kids that were state champs and kids that have placed from other states, But  again Stevenson has beaten and never lost to Atwood, and is also 3-0 against last year state champ at 189 with the closest match being 8-3,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.