Team Rankings for Three Divisions

ATC

I would like to recognize the smaller schools out there who may not make it to team state, however, those teams year in and year out put out a solid team.

I have no intention of messing with the overall team rankings.  I just want to support more than 15-20 programs that currently get ranked.  I want to support 45-60 programs.

I think seeing your team ranked is an honor and good for the sport of wrestling.

Divide the schools up into 3 equal divisions.  Rank them every couple of weeks.  I would like to recognize the top teams at the end of the season in someway.  Something the kids on those teams can look at and build off of (trophy, plaque, certificate, etc).  My original idea was to represent/recognize some of those top teams that didnt make it to team state at team state in between the Semi's and the Final round.  Puts fans in the stands at the end of the day for the finals as well as  recognize the hard work of some outstanding programs.  Maybe all the teams that are ranked get an end of the season ranking certificate as well.

I'm not sure if this is against any rules, however, I think it would be cool to support those teams that are invited by giving them tickets for their team.

I would be willing to donate $ from our program if this is idea is supported.

I also have not thought about how to work out the rankings.

Maybe more to come.

Aaron Moss

Ben Davis Wrestling

aaron.moss@wayne.k12.in.us

One of the cross country websites does a small and medium school poll.  They divide the state into 3 divisions and rank the lower 2.  I'm not sure why they do not add the large school divison.  I'm guessing it's because there isn't much variation between the regular rankings and the large schools rankings.

Here is a link if you want to take a look:  http://indianarunner.com/smallschoolpoll.aspx

I'm not sure who votes on these either.

Aaron, I posted this the other day and just said a coach from our sectional came up with the idea.  I wasnt sure if you wanted to forge ahead with it.  Now that you are let me know what we can do as well.  Money, help, support-great idea. 

Jimmy

This just literally came to me, while reading the posts.  I know that some smaller schools don't have a full roster of all weights.  IS there anything that could be done to consolidate weights in the smallest of schools. 

Now hear me out on this before you say NO. 

Many states play 8 man football where enrollments are small.    Why not Wrestling?    If they could field only 10  wrestlers.  Get some of the 5 lb consecutive  weights out something like this:  103, 112, 119, 130, 140, 152,  171, 189, 215 and HWT.

If these schools choose to wrestle bigger schools then they would still take the forfeits.  But,  still allow these kids to go to individual  state,  just fold them in at sectionals.  I think this could actually allow more schools to offer a wrestling program.  And increase participant.   

Set up a Team Champion  for this smaller team, if we ever decide to go to class wrestling.

Just a crazy thought that entered my mind.

Think about it though.  Could be scary stuff.

This just literally came to me, while reading the posts.   I know that some smaller schools don't have a full roster of all weights.   IS there anything that could be done to consolidate weights in the smallest of schools.   

Many states play 8 man football where enrollments are small.    Why not Wrestling?    If they could field only 10  wrestlers.   Get some of the 5 lb consecutive  weights out something like this:   103, 112, 119, 130, 140, 152,  171, 189, 215 and HWT.

If these schools choose to wrestle bigger schools then they would still take the forfeits.   But,  still allow these kids to go to individual  state,  just fold them in at sectionals.   I think this could actually allow more schools to offer a wrestling program.   And increase participant.   

Set up a Team Champion  for this smaller team, if we ever decide to go to class wrestling.

The middle weight classes aren't usually the ones the smaller schools have getting kids.  It's the 103, 215, and 285 lb weight classes that gives most schools trouble.  Coaches have to walk around recruiting small kids and/or big kids just so they don't have forfeits.

Not the first time an assumption of mine is faulty.

In football, each region has a rep that votes from each of the 5 classes.  This seams to get a decent representation from across the state.  Since wrestling also has regional reps, I assumed it was done in a similar fashion.

This just literally came to me, while reading the posts.   I know that some smaller schools don't have a full roster of all weights.   IS there anything that could be done to consolidate weights in the smallest of schools.   

Many states play 8 man football where enrollments are small.    Why not Wrestling?    If they could field only 10  wrestlers.   Get some of the 5 lb consecutive  weights out something like this:   103, 112, 119, 130, 140, 152,  171, 189, 215 and HWT.

If these schools choose to wrestle bigger schools then they would still take the forfeits.   But,  still allow these kids to go to individual  state,  just fold them in at sectionals.   I think this could actually allow more schools to offer a wrestling program.   And increase participant.   

Classing the teams will hopefully get more kids to want to participate in wrestling and take care of this situation...

The middle weight classes aren't usually the ones the smaller schools have getting kids.  It's the 103, 215, and 285 lb weight classes that gives most schools trouble.  Coaches have to walk around recruiting small kids and/or big kids just so they don't have forfeits.

I was just making a suggestion.    There needs to be a committee that decides actual weights for this smaller division.  I know that there will be some schools that would have all the higher and lower weights,  and not be happy that they were excluded.

I am open to other ideas, that will increase the participation of wrestling at ALL schools.

I was just making a suggestion.    There needs to be a committee that decides actual weights for this smaller division.   I know that there will be some schools that would have all the higher and lower weights,  and not be happy that they were excluded.

I am open to other ideas, that will increase the participation of wrestling at ALL schools.

I'm just worried that if we start eliminating weight classes, that we'll be getting closer and closer to Y2's master plan of having only one weight class! :o

The following coaches rank teams...I am then in charge of adding up their votes for our Team Rankings:  Here are the coaches:

Coaches Voting:

1. Cloud, Dave - Pendleton Heights

2. Deckard, Royce-Bloomington

3.Faurote, Brent-Bellmont

4.Ferguson, Scott ? Evansville Reitz

5. Greg Gastineau ? Hamilton Southeastern

6. Hartman, Al-Clay

7.Harmon, Bob-Castle

8.Hobbs, Andy-Peru

9.Maglis, Jim - Princeton

10.Mattingly, Larry/Jeff Schaefer ? Evansville Memorial

11.McGinley, Sean ? Indianapolis Cathedral

12.Minch, JD - North Montgomery

13.Maldonado, David - Merrillville

14.Peckinpaugh, Rex-New Castle

15. Sisson, Brandon ? Floyd Central

16.Snyder, Darrick ? Mishawaka

17. Struck, Danny - Jeff

18.Tonte, Jim-Perry Meridian

19.Voigt, Paul-FW Carroll

20.Watkins, Jim-Calumet

21.Williams, Jared ? Lawrence North

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.