When Indiana wrestling is classed

Galagore

I know it isn't now, but I feel that it will be eventually.  When it is classed, how will the state tournament work?  Of course this is an opinion, no one knows for sure how it would work.  Would this be the time to totally separate the individual and team portions?  Or should the format of determining team sectional champions remain the same?  Obviously the number of individual qualifiers at each level would have to be reduced or we would have to eliminate one of the levels.  Just wanted to pick the minds of the wrestling community on this.  Any feedback (that isn't just telling me that class wrestling will never happen, it's  a bad idea, etc.) is welcome.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two classes

16 sectionals with 8-11 teams in each class

Top four advance to regional

Held at local high schools

Four sectionals feed into each regional

4 regionals with 16 wrestlers in each class

Top four advance to state

Held at 4-8 different locations

16 wrestlers in each class at state

Held at Conseco or Lucas Oil Stadium

Then we have a full week for just the team series!

Team series is after sectionals, meaning two weeks between sectional and regional

Top two teams from each sectional advance to team regional (32 teams)

Wednesday have four teams wrestle down to one with 8 teams in each class remaining

Team state on Friday and Saturday

Friday- one dual, two rounds on four mats, 1A first round 2A second round

Saturday- semi-finals of both classes on four mats and finals on two mats.

Lets do three classes with Bellmont and Yorktown in Garrets sectional.  Then here him cry about how he is cheated because he is the small school in the middle class.  Then lets add 3 more classes so Y2 has a shot.  Oh crap there still in Yorktowns sectional better make 3 more.  Ok 9 classes next season lets do it.  we will have 16 wrestlers from all nine classes 144 wrestlers per weight class at Lucus Oil Statium sounds fun.

Lets do three classes with Bellmont and Yorktown in Garrets sectional.  Then here him cry about how he is cheated because he is the small school in the middle class.  Then lets add 3 more classes so Y2 has a shot.  Oh crap there still in Yorktowns sectional better make 3 more.  Ok 9 classes next season lets do it.  we will have 16 wrestlers from all nine classes 144 wrestlers per weight class at Lucus Oil Statium sounds fun.

If I only cared about one school I would propose two classes, Garrett and the rest. 

Thanks, have a wonderful day.

Tell me you haven't talked about Garret dominating if they class the state.  I am saying your 100% lying if you say you haven't good thing whitcko will smoke you again next year.  3 in a row for small schools.

No way we would dominate, never said that.  We would have great competition with Whitko(without a C), Delphi, Prairie Heights, Peru and other small school programs around the state.  And I doubt Whitko smokes us next year in a dual or at sectional.  Carroll is the heavy favorite after graduation of some very good wrestlers from Garrett and Whitko(again without a C).

Just hand MD a trophy every year. Hands down. Then you will have your smaller schools arguing that they are on the same level or are wanting a shot at the big guys. For the current class they do have a shot and if they get it then they can prove themselves.

Just hand MD a trophy every year. Hands down. Then you will have your smaller schools arguing that they are on the same level or are wanting a shot at the big guys. For the current class they do have a shot and if they get it then they can prove themselves.

If the smaller schools can't beat someone their own size, they surely don't want anything to do with the bigger schools.  I have never heard of a 1A state runner-up in football saying they want a piece of Warren Central or Cathedral. 

If the smaller schools can't beat someone their own size, they surely don't want anything to do with the bigger schools.  I have never heard of a 1A state runner-up in football saying they want a piece of Warren Central or Cathedral. 

I hear it in other sports. Just because it doesn't happen football doesn't mean it doesn't happen and won't happen.

However, I am proud to report that I have broken my addiction to reading duk and runn posts.  Just pass over them every time now, and I enjoy the board a lot more.  Hope he replies to this because I won't be seeing it:}

I hear it in other sports. Just because it doesn't happen football doesn't mean it doesn't happen and won't happen.

Do you have examples of state runner ups in 1A thinking they belong in the same league with the big boys or are we to believe what you "hear"? You tend to say a lot of things but whenever you give any real info like on RTCs or number of private training facilities you are wrong.  you seem to be one of these guys that argues for the sake of arguing.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  I will just start taking your posts with a grain of salt.

Tell me you haven't talked about Garret dominating if they class the state.  I am saying your 100% lying if you say you haven't good thing whitcko will smoke you again next year.  3 in a row for small schools.

You talk more about Garrett than y2 does. 

Would someone please explain to me why Whitko is spelled with a "k?"  I'm pretty sure it's a shortening of Whitley County so why isn't it "Whitco?"  Do they spell it kounty in Whitley County?

I think part of the district is also in Kosciusko county. 

I was reffering to the smaller school champions. And you do get your occasional 2A and 3A champ in football saying they can take down the 5A champ

I think well before we ever discuss population splits we should discuss a public/private split.

Would you be in favor of separating the private schools from the public schools for post season competition?  I used to ref h.s. wrestling in WI in the 90's and at that time (not sure if it's still the same) they had class wrestling AND a division of public from private.  Talk about watered down competition.  That was awful.  Rather than separate public from private, I 'd be in favor, if class wrestling ever occurred, of bumping the private schools up a class.  Otherwise, with no class wrestling, just leave the private schools mixed in with the public schools. 

personally i dont think the individual portion should be classed. Team is acceptable however cause i do believe as a team they are at a great disadvantage

I DO think that the private schools should be bumped up a class because i believe they would still have the advantage over the smaller schools by being able to "recruit". Im not saying all private schools do it but it does happen every now and then

I do have a question though. How are you suppose to run a state tournament with 2 or three classes in two days like the current schedule? State this year was moving at times but still took all day saturday with a small break. Now double the number of wrestlers without being able to add more mats in Conseco. If you do add more mats to the floor to move things then the mats clossest to you will practically be blocked. Thats almost no good.

I guess you could wrestle more matches on friday to clear them out but then more people would have to take full days off instead of half days plus fans missing school (some people only go up saturday only right now hoping people get through friday)

I know Iowa goes something like a thursday friday and saturday for their tournament but thats more missed work/school and also cutting into profits for having to rent Conseco for another day

personally i dont think the individual portion should be classed. Team is acceptable however cause i do believe as a team they are at a great disadvantage

I DO think that the private schools should be bumped up a class because i believe they would still have the advantage over the smaller schools by being able to "recruit". Im not saying all private schools do it but it does happen every now and then

I do have a question though. How are you suppose to run a state tournament with 2 or three classes in two days like the current schedule? State this year was moving at times but still took all day saturday with a small break. Now double the number of wrestlers without being able to add more mats in Conseco. If you do add more mats to the floor to move things then the mats clossest to you will practically be blocked. Thats almost no good.

I guess you could wrestle more matches on friday to clear them out but then more people would have to take full days off instead of half days plus fans missing school (some people only go up saturday only right now hoping people get through friday)

I know Iowa goes something like a thursday friday and saturday for their tournament but thats more missed work/school and also cutting into profits for having to rent Conseco for another day

I have the solution for this...We remove all the odd numbered weight classes from teh small schools rosters because they can't fill those spots anyway.  The we can throw two mats in the parking garage across the street from Conseco and be done in about 2 hours. 

Illinois pulls off a two day individual state series.  Back when I wrestled it was 2 classes.  The small school division brought 12 kids at ea wt and the large school division brought 16.  Small schools medaled 1st thru 4th and large schools medaled 1st thru 6th.  Now the middle class brings 12 kids to ea wt.  Forget the middle class, let's just look at the old two class system.  Illinois easily wrestled 392 kids (both classes combined) at the assembly hall in Champaign over two day (with wrestlebacks!).  I think they had 6 mats going so that helped.  If Conseco can't handle six mats, Lucas oil sure could.  

Honestly I am al for ANYTHING that gets our kids on the mat more every year.  I think it is a great thing to have them wrestle as often as possible.

I just get bent out of shape when I hear all the whining and crying about people not have the advantages others have and why that is unfair.  Folks - LIFE IS UNFAIR, isn't that a part of what we as adults keep preaching to the kids as a FACT?

Wrestling IS life.  Life is Unfair.  Hard Work and Adaptation is the key to survivial in both...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.