South Adams HWT Jim West

starsaw

What is more ironic is that the Crawfordsville wrestler was penalized one point in his previous match for a ..............................................

head butt.  :-\

really? What's this have to do with the price of eggs in China? Get your facts right pal, he was penalized for a "poke in the eye".

That was the match closest to me and I had no clue what happened to even stop the match.  I had to wait to later in the day that it was over a headbutt.  

We see most have a hard enough time calling stalling to decide a regular match so being that bold to call a intentional headbutt in a high stake situation you would think it would have to be a little more obvious than what I witnessed in person and watched again in the video.   Sure the ref and the IHSAA are going by the rules given for that situation.  However, it also seems like another case of htem applying them a little more brashly and strickly than you would regularly see, and that is obviously where many people have an issue.

What was the assistant refs stance on the situation or was he not in position to help with the call?

ABSOLUTELY uncalled for,,,, i feel for that young man,,, it seemed to me saturday that there were a feel instances that the "refs" ended and/or changed the out come of some seniors that have, im sure, put ALOT more time, energy, effort, sweat, blood, tears for 1 person to change the outcome in an instant..... the thing that s#### is there are alot of good calls that go unnoticed,  to bad the bad hurt so bad..... good luck ... if it isnt roundball the IHSh## doesnt give a ceotch....

The same referee made a call at the semi state that may have cost a wrestler a chance at the state finals... with 7 seconds left in a match and the score tied 2-2 and the bottom man belly down doing nothing he calls bottom man for stalling and stops the match and brings them back to the middle for a restart, and the bottom man escapes with 1 second left.  It clearly states in the rule book that you do not stop a match for the bottom man stalling.  

Terrible terrible call, I wish the best of luck to South Adams on fighting this one, but i know from experience when an official makes a bad flagrant misconduct call, they will not look at the tape and they will not even consider changing their call no matter how wrong it may be

hhmmmm  Iwin99, have you rear Rankingsguy's post about the same situation in the finals??  mmm could it be the person, that maybe doesnt understand the rule?

I just came across his post, It would be interesting if it is the same official but i am not sure how to figure that one out.    You would think that an official in the state finals would know and understand the rule book.

As I was unable to attend, I was listening to the match on the radio. The two people doing the broadcast were former Bellmont coach A.J. Kalver and former Bellmont wrestler and former high school wrestling official Rex Brewer. When the call was made they were both also very confused, as was Jim West, his coaches, the Crawfordsville coaches and their wrestler. I personally think that it was a very bad call. As far as I can tell, from everything I have heard and everything I have read, the official was the only one that saw it that way. Does anyone know what the "extra" official's opinion was? Jim West is a very fine young man (as most wrestlers are), he did not deserve to have his dreams ripped away from him in this way. I hope that the official in question has had second thoughts about this and has trouble sleeping at night. Jimmy deserves his medal. At the very least he deserves an apology.

Rex Brewer... he's an old college team mate of mine!

It is obvious that there was no intent to injure anyone, just a clash of heads. That happens when both young men come forward. His opponent would have know if he was trying to hurt him and his action of saying he wanted to wrestle showed he thought it was NOT intentional.. I hope he gets his medal.

Here is the contact information for the IHSAA:

IHSAA Contact Information Indiana High School Athletic Association

9150 Meridian Street

P.O. Box 40650

Indianapolis, Indiana 46240

(Phone) 317-846-6601

(Fax) 317-575-4244

Any questions or comments?

Contact the webmaster at: webmaster@ihsaa.org

Please note that due to the volume of e-mail messages that we receive on a daily basis, our first priority is to respond to our member schools and registered officials, so we may not be able to respond to every message in a timely manner.

The IHSAA will not respond to e-mail messages that do not include the sender?s full name, affiliation, mailing address and telephone number.

If you need contact information for a specific individual at the IHSAA, click here.

bress@ihsaa.org

bcox@ihsaa.org

This can't hurt.  I'm sure the more emails that are recieved concerning Jim West, the better our chances are.  Right now we are at Ground Zero.

Can we say that we are getting the best officials at State? Because of the low pay, politics, the bad rating system, and the great way the IHSAA treats officials you have a group of very good officials who will not even sign up for the state tournament. Some officials have to go through the 9 year wait to make it to a State..... some have bypassed this process because of the "politics" within the IHSAA.. the rating system is not working......... 

I have no problem with a referee calling a flagrant unsportsmanlike if he is trying to protect the wrestler, but to refuse to review the call or hear the opinion of others involved in the match is arrogant beyond belief.  Here's a suggestion- IF the official involved is selected for state again next year have every coach there scratch him.  Let him watch the finals from the mat side, but not be in charge.  If you don't feel you can trust his judgment you shouldn't let him referee your match.

I know this may not make up for it... but is there any way we can get him a match in the IN/IL all star duel.  Either a exhibition or maybe one of the two others step aside and let him wrestle his final HS match.  He deserves to go out on a high note and this may be a way to ease the pain a little.

Can we say that we are getting the best officials at State? Because of the low pay, politics, the bad rating system, and the great way the IHSAA treats officials you have a group of very good officials who will not even sign up for the state tournament. Some officials have to go through the 9 year wait to make it to a State..... some have bypassed this process because of the "politics" within the IHSAA.. the rating system is not working.........  

FYI... it can take as little as 7 years to do the state tournament as you need 3 sectionals before a regional (you can do 3rd sectional and 1st regional in same year), 3 regionals before 1st semi states (3rd regional and 1st semi state in sameyear), 3 semi states before 1st state (3rd semi state and 1st state in same year).  If an official does the tournament series and gets to a certain level then gets out for a couple of years then that official can move back up to that level moving up 1 level each year back.

I applaud Dylan McBride for trying to get the officials to let West wrestle.  That showed so much class from that young man.  I could tell it's not the way he wanted to win and if you were only looking at McBride's actions alone you could tell it wasn't flagrant. 

I was kind of hoping McBride would pull West onto another mat and just keep wrestling.  Wouldn't have that been cool!

I saw Dylan McBride after the semi-finals and he did not look like a kid who had just been in a match with someone who was trying to hurt him.  I watched Jim West four straight weeks and he looked like and conducted himself like a true champion.  I hope that he does not let this bother him because he really is a class act

Could the IHSWCA do anything to recognize this young man?  The association is not directly involved with the IHSAA, so if the board were to so choose, it could designate some type of distinction upon this young man if they felt it was appropriate.  If you are a member, maybe it is something that you could suggest to someone on the board.  I don't know if it would be considered, or what in particular could be done, but possibly the association could right the wrong to some degree if they truly felt it was wrong.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.