285 mat 1

Jon H

Jim West of South Adams was called for a accidental headbutt.They are applealing it now.The other guy said he doesnt want to win that way and may not wrestle his next match!

It was called a flagrant not accidental. If it had been accidental he would not have been dq'd

In my opinion this call is one of the most bull sh*t calls I have ever seen. Jim didnt do it on purpose, and the kid even said it was an accident, and to keep wrestling. I think this the stupidest thing ever because he is not even going to win a medal now, almost like he was never at STATE, and his wrestling career is over forever. Honestly, IHSWA needs to grow a pair, and do the right thing, and not ruin this wrestlers carerr for ever.

i still feel like i could just vomit.  i have watched the tape.... Over and over and over.... There were so many other options that could have been done in this incident.  I guess in the heat of the moment..... Both officials saw something the rest of the entire Conseco Fieldhouse didnt see to include both wrestlers.  To big Jim, you will always be one of Starfire Wrestling's Greatest! 

This is a shame.  The South Adams staff are top notch coaces with a level of integrity.  If the headbutt was flagrant they would be the first ones to tell their wrestler to get off the mat and go home.

This is unbelievable and the ihsaa needs to start stepping in when these officals try to become the center of attention. The offical should of realzied he made a mistake when the other wrestler asked to continue, this is the state tournement. Everybody comes and wants to wrestle whether they lose or win its the experice on the mat in the conseco field house. Nobody makes this trip to receive forfeits or byes this is not iswca state.

HORRIBLE is the only thing i can say. Jimmy West is a young man that has always showed the upmost respect for his oppoents and class everytime he has steped on the mat. The official has to realize that he has nothing to lose...Jim on the otherhand lost something he had been working for all season...its truly a shame that thats how we handle situations like this. To Jim West congratulations on everything you have accomplished in football and wrestling, keep your head up.

HORRIBLE is the only thing i can say. Jimmy West is a young man that has always showed the upmost respect for his oppoents and class everytime he has steped on the mat. The official has to realize that he has nothing to lose...Jim on the otherhand lost something he had been working for all season...its truly a shame that thats how we handle situations like this. To Jim West congratulations on everything you have accomplished in football and wrestling, keep your head up.

DITTO!!!!

could somebody change the title of this so others actually know what is being talked about on here. Everyone should know about this other wise it will happen again. Nobody remembers that this happened on mat one and many were probably out of the arena when it occurred since it was right before the break.

I am the coach of the opposing wrestler, and I have to say, we were confused by the call as well. Just before that call happened,  West head butted McBride (I'm not saying it was malicious, but there was definitely a head to head contact) and there was no call. Dylan was visibly shaken and the refs even gave him a few seconds to clear his head. When they re-started, they hit heads again, and that is when the DQ happened.  I didn't realize what they were calling, and when I asked the official, he said that the opponent (West) had intentionally led with his head and he called it a flagrant foul.  Dylan felt like it was accidental on Jim's part, and wanted to continue to wrestle. He stated to me "Coach, I don't want to win that way. I want to finish the match!" I told him to tell the offcial, which he did, and he was told that the call had been made and it couldn't / wouldn't be changed. 

I too, feel bad for Jim. It was a strange situation and one that no wrestler or coach wants to have end his season. I don't know Jim, and we had never wrestled him before, but I will say that he handled that situation very well and showed great sportsmanship after the match towards Dylan and myself.  I feel that at the least, he should be recognized as a medalist and awarded the 8th place medal.  Without naming names, I saw worse behavior after a semi final and final match and those wrestlers were allowed to stand on the podium.  I want to wish Jim the best of luck in the future and congratulate him on a great season.

Chris Ervin

Crawfordsville H.S.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.