285 mat 1

Jon H

you cant undo the damage to West. The school AD s and coaches need to demand that cameras by both opponets be on oppisite sides of the mat to review situations like this and the others I ve heard of. Officals are human they make mistakes and some side officals don't want to stand up to the one making bad calls. The call in question could be reviewed from two angles on a monitor with the commissioners present and the call could be confirmed or denied. Will this make the event go longer ? yes beyond a doubt.  A small price to insure an athlete who has put in 4-6-8 years can finish his season on a good call.

I am the coach of the opposing wrestler, and I have to say, we were confused by the call as well. Just before that call happened,  West head butted McBride (I'm not saying it was malicious, but there was definitely a head to head contact) and there was no call. Dylan was visibly shaken and the refs even gave him a few seconds to clear his head. When they re-started, they hit heads again, and that is when the DQ happened.  I didn't realize what they were calling, and when I asked the official, he said that the opponent (West) had intentionally led with his head and he called it a flagrant foul.  Dylan felt like it was accidental on Jim's part, and wanted to continue to wrestle. He stated to me "Coach, I don't want to win that way. I want to finish the match!" I told him to tell the offcial, which he did, and he was told that the call had been made and it couldn't / wouldn't be changed.  

I too, feel bad for Jim. It was a strange situation and one that no wrestler or coach wants to have end his season. I don't know Jim, and we had never wrestled him before, but I will say that he handled that situation very well and showed great sportsmanship after the match towards Dylan and myself.   I feel that at the least, he should be recognized as a medalist and awarded the 8th place medal.  Without naming names, I saw worse behavior after a semi final and final match and those wrestlers were allowed to stand on the podium.  I want to wish Jim the best of luck in the future and congratulate him on a great season.

Chris Ervin

I'm glad you were able to get on here and offer some clarity to the issue. There were a lot of different things said about the situation. Thank you for showing the people on here the class that some of the young men of the sport have. AND not only the  class of Jimmy, but of your wrestler as well, it's truly great to see a young man step up and voice his opinion to the official as well as to the opposing coaches. What a phenominal young man.

Crawfordsville H.S.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.