Up and coming programs...

lowsingle

The South is Rising again!!!

Well kinda. Reitz and Castle are really starting to bring it to MD and that is terrific. As a whole all of the wrestling in the SIAC is getting stronger and it will be nice when they start to being titles home

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Martinsville, they have a sophmore class that can do great things.  It started back with Runyan and Krulik.  Also, theres some tough Middle schoolers coming up.  And another Runyan is on his way, he's in 5th grade right now=]

I was there to

abcd:

Obviously, Mater Dei?s program is and has been at the top in Indiana for some time.

But using your logic, Mater Dei wouldn?t meet YOUR strict definition of an ?elite? program, since they brought ten wrestlers to Semi-State (one more than Franklin), and advanced ?only? two (same as Franklin) . . .

Just the mention by lowsingle of Franklin brought out your quick, negative response.

Whose team were you at the Semi-State to support?

I was there to observe and enjoy good wrestlin.. brining only 2 to state is not elite, but what team I root for and how many SQs md has has nothing to do with how good a program is...my argument is for a program to be elite they have to win elite level matches, elite programs win when it counts year in and year out...simple as that

abcd... Mater dei and franklin both have been able to win big "elite" matches... you cant judge a program by observing them wrestle one day.. elite programs travel for competition right? out of state competition need be.. well both of these teams do just that.. not to mention i know franklin goes to calumet to the traicoff memorial (prolly misspelled it) and that is with out a doubt one of the toughest tournaments this state has to offer... i guess i just don't get ur definition of elite.. and apparently u don 't either considering not a team in the state falls into the "elite" category in your mind..

Am I the only one that the term "Elite" bothers?

I am all for the concept of Parity.  I think it makes Wrestling stronger across the board when competition is tough and the teams, coaches, and most of all the fans.  Who wants to watch the same teams blow everyone off the mats week in and week out?

It all comes down to semantics but when I think of elite programs, I think of:

1. Coaching

2. Support

3. Feeder system

4. Expectations

5. Results/History

Based on this criteria my unscientific opinion would place schools like: Mater Dei, Bellmont, Mishawaka, Perry Meridian, Yorktown, Merrillville, Cathedral, LNorth, Castle, Portage, Crown Point and FRANKLIN at the elite level.  These schools are a threat to make the final 8 year in and year out.

A step below this level would be programs like Reitz, Penn, Bloom South, Elk Memorial, Roncalli, New Pal, New Castle and Carmel.  These schools often have or will be making runs at team state.

A third category includes schools that are building toward state power level or have been on the cusp for awhile but never have quite gotten over the hump.  I would include schools like: Jeffersonville, Center Grove, Jimtown, SB Riley, SB Clay, Hamilton SE, Westfield, Homestead, Pike, Munster, Evansville Memorial, Laf Jeff, Laf Harrison, Chesterton, Avon, Warren Central and some smaller programs like Delphi, Whitko, Garrett, and South Adams.

Before you all jump on me for the list, I know I probably forgot some and some may argue that their program belongs in a different group, I was just laying out some criteria that I would look at to judge programs and coming up with some schools I thought fit each of the categories.

1. Coaching

2. Support

3. Feeder system

4. Expectations

5. Results/History

Based on this criteria my unscientific opinion would place schools like: Mater Dei, Bellmont, Mishawaka, Perry Meridian, Yorktown, Merrillville, Cathedral, LNorth, Castle, Portage, Crown Point and FRANKLIN at the elite level.  These schools are a threat to make the final 8 year in and year out.

A step below this level would be programs like Reitz, Penn, Bloom South, Elk Memorial, Roncalli, New Pal, New Castle and Carmel.  These schools often have or will be making runs at team state.

A third category includes schools that are building toward state power level or have been on the cusp for awhile but never have quite gotten over the hump.  I would include schools like: Jeffersonville, Center Grove, Jimtown, SB Riley, SB Clay, Hamilton SE, Westfield, Homestead, Pike, Munster, Evansville Memorial, Laf Jeff, Laf Harrison, Chesterton, Avon, Warren Central and some smaller programs like Delphi, Whitko, Garrett, and South Adams.

Before you all jump on me for the list, I know I probably forgot some and some may argue that their program belongs in a different group, I was just laying out some criteria that I would look at to judge programs and coming up with some schools I thought fit each of the categories.

This is about as accurate as its going to get. your right on the money.

HAHAHA.

Hopefully some were just misinterpreting the question!

Some of these programs are a flat out joke - if you are calling them up and comming. Perhaps you should post them to a "teams improving" thread.

Ha

To most people, "up-and-coming" would be the same as "improving".  You have no right diminishing these achievements by calling the programs a "flat out joke".

All these "improving" programs need to do is find a way to sustain that improvement, and then they'll become powerhouses.  Some won't be able to keep it going, but many have the potential to.  Check your history - dynasties have a tendancy to fall.  Look at EMD - either they fell apart or other schools improved.

penn... look for them to take over and get the best of mishawaka next year possibly. harper is doing a great job. but dont count out the way that snyder can rally his guys and get them to step up

thanks someone  realizes it now they almost beat them this year it was at  they place but im not sure it makes a huge differince both squads come out to  support at either gym. they have a solid class of freshman and sophmores that couldnt make the line up that will be look for a spot this year

1. Coaching

2. Support

3. Feeder system

4. Expectations

5. Results/History

This is an accurate analysis.  Well put.

This is an accurate analysis.  Well put.

I agree with the criteria but might rank them a little differently. I'd rank results/history as number 1. Isn't that what it's all about if you want to be considered elite? Coaches and support (I'm guessing this means families/school administrators) will change over time. I may even throw out expectations. If you are an elite program, you expect to be at the top every year.

Karl broke it down perfectly.. i couldn't agree more.. and although i read were someone wanted bloomington south up one group.. i would have to say unfortunatly (not a BS fan at all.. haha) that they will be up there soon.. they are a force to be reckoned with for sure.. they just haven't been on that level for as long as some of the teams listed in the top (that i know of)..... so soon.. they will be considered "elite" by karls breakdown..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.