Weight Allowance

Walter Sobchak

New information has come to light!!

To:                          Individual Wrestling Semi State Host Athletic Administrators

Re:                        Weight Allowances

Good morning.  The NFHS wrestling rules book provides in Rule 4-5-5 that for consecutive days of team competition, there shall be a 1-pound additional allowance granted each day for all wrestlers up to a maximum of two pounds.  The rule continues to state that competitions that are postponed for one calendar day or more, for reasons beyond the control of the participating schools, or practices that cannot be held in these situations due to school policy shall be treated the same as competitions where there are consecutive days of competition in terms of the 1-pound allowance, with the exception of the required 48-hour notice.

As the individual semi state is just that, an individual tournament with no team competition, the provisions of Rule 4-5-5 with regard to weather related issues are not applicable.  While I?m confident that across the state, this has been interpreted differently, I am providing this notice to clarify the IHSAA interpretation of this rule.

Effective for the 2010 IHSAA individual wrestling semi state, the maximum weight for any weight class is two pounds over the actual weight class as provided by the January 1, 2010 growth allowance.  Please communicate this information to your participating schools today to clear up any confusion.

Thank you for your assistance.

Bobby Cox

Assistant Commissioner

Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.

Good question dude.... no official team score is kept there either.... does this mean we shouldn't have got the one extra pound at regional? 

This is becoming a complicated case, lots of ins and outs and what have yous....

almost caused me to spill my beverage....

Does this mean that the wrestlers will not get one pound on the Saturday of State?

Considering that this has been done for a long time now, wouldn't this have come up  a long time ago?  It seems odd to have a ruling like this now, when it counters what the IHSAA is currently practicing on the Saturday of State.

Maybe we need a Toe to Joe part 2 with Mr. Cox.

I have read, and then re-read the letter by Mr. Cox and concluded he is saying the weight classes this weekend will be 105,114,121 and so on........period. Evidentally there is no additional wt allowance for those semi state qualifiers not able to practice due to weather related issues.

Im in hopes I misunderstood his letter and someone will correct me.

KBoyer

You are correct sir...  Better have someplace to workout even on snowdays... He is out of his element on this one and has no frame of reference...

Actually this is not correct.  Bobby sent the above email out and I told my AD that this was strange because this is not the way it had been earlier in the year.  He called Bobby and then we got another email from Bobby that said he had contacted the National Federation and that they had told him that the allowance was meant to be used whether it was a Team or Individual event.  My AD (Semi-State Tournament Director) was told (via email & phone) that if schools were out today and not allowed to practice, but everyone is in school tomorrow (or out & allowed to practice) then there is no weight allowance (other than the 2 pounds we already have).  Because there were people in our Semi-State (NC) who were out and could not practice today if there is any school in our Semi-State who is out, and not allowed to practice, tomorrow there will be a two pound allowance for Saturday (i.e. 103 would be 107).  Basically, we would be wrestling at our normal scratch weight plus 2 pounds or scratch weight plus 4 pounds.  Of course this is based on someone who is not in school and not allowed to practice contacting the tournament host at a time that allows the host school to contact the other schools.

here is the 2nd letter

To:                          IHSAA Individual Semi State Host Athletic Administrators

Re:                        Weight Allowances for the Semi State Wrestling Tournaments ? REVISED UPDATE

Good afternoon once again.  I have taken the opportunity to pass an interpretation question in front of the Chairman of the NFHS Wrestling Rules Committee this afternoon with regard to weight allowance.  While the language in Rule 4-5-5 specifically states team competition, it is the Committee?s intent that this allowance be granted to all competitors whether this be allowed in an individual or team event.  With that said I must retract my earlier statement and provide the following:

If any student has missed school today due to school closing and is prohibited from practice by school mandate, all wrestlers in that semi state are afforded one extra pound.  If the same school misses tomorrow under the same conditions, all wrestlers are now granted two pounds additional weight allowance.  The maximum weight for the 103 class then would be 107 and so forth.

While I realize this will create additional tracking by each semi state site, I feel we need to adhere to the intent and spirit of the NFHS wrestling rules book and the interpretation of the rules committee.

If you have any questions, please contact me at your convenience.  Thank you.

Bobby Cox

Assistant Commissioner

Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.

I just find it baffling that an Assistant Commissioner of the IHSAA doesn't know how to read or explain a rule.  I realize that he has no background in wrestling, but he has messed this up again.

The rule is quite clear...

For a Saturday competition, for everyone at the meet to get the additional 1-pound allowance, a team (meaning school) must have not allowed practice on Friday.  If all teams are allowed to practice on Friday, then there shouldn't be an extra pound.  Even if they are not allowed to practice Thursday, if they are allowed to practice Friday, then there shouldn't be an allowance.

If a school is not allowed to practice Thursday and Friday, then there is an additional 2-pound allowance for everyone at the meet.

Does anyone know if it is possible to petition the IHSAA to assign a different Assistant Commissioner to oversee wrestling?  They have a few of them.  Maybe one of the others can understand our sport better than Mr. Cox.

No weight allowance unless a school in semi-state  is out today with out the possibility of practice. 

as  far as the commish.... he is like a child who wanders into the middle of a conversation he has no frame of reference... maybe we could arrange to have someone kidnap him at the beginning of next season ..... or maybe he could kidnap himself? 

easy with that beverage Karl....

Here is my question.

Since we are all in the same tournament series but locations are held at different sites, would everyone get the pound allowance?  (ex. Ev semi-state gets to weigh in at with 2lbs due to weather then NC, FW, & MV get the 2pounds also)

Coach Weimer

Careful Weimer...

Mr. Cox's head might explode while he tries to figure out that one.

Here is my question.

Since we are all in the same tournament series but locations are held at different sites, would everyone get the pound allowance?  (ex. Ev semi-state gets to weigh in at with 2lbs due to weather then NC, FW, & MV get the 2pounds also)

Coach Weimer

Everyone doesn't....but everyone should.  

Do we know if anyone is out of school today and can't practice?

I haven't heard anything official, but Franklin County did NOT have school the past four days due to weather, so the New Castle Semi-State should get two extra pounds. Like I said nothing official yet, but this is what I have heard.

TC,

I know you are not Bobby Cox and I don't have all the answers but who will be notified, The AD's from the participating school's, the wrestling coaches, or Coach Peck who is hosting the tournament?  This is something that should be taken care of by the end of the school day so the participating schools can let their wrestlers know. Thanks for the help.

Coach Weimer

TC,

I know you are not Bobby Cox and I don't have all the answers but who will be notified, The AD's from the participating school's, the wrestling coaches, or Coach Peck who is hosting the tournament?  This is something that should be taken care of by the end of the school day so the participating schools can let their wrestlers know. Thanks for the help.

Coach Weimer

The AD or Principal from any school in the New Castle Semi-State that has been out, and not allowed to practice, should contact Mike Bergum the AD at New Castle (Semi-State Director) as soon as possible.  He will make the call and then contact all schools (AD)  via email.  I will also post any updates on here once they are verified.  Unless someone contacts Mr. Bergum at a time that allows him to have a reasonable chance to contact other schools then I doubt there will be any weight allowance.

I am wondering what they are doing at Noblesville.

I haven't heard anything official, but Franklin County did NOT have school the past four days due to weather, so the New Castle Semi-State should get two extra pounds. Like I said nothing official yet, but this is what I have heard.

Franklin County did not have school today, but their AD told Mr. Bergum that they are allowed to practice and will be practicing so the rule does not apply with them.

Franklin County did not have school today, but their AD told Mr. Bergum that they are allowed to practice and will be practicing so the rule does not apply with them.

Hey Coach Peck, what about Rushville...I heard they were not in school today either. Any word from them?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.