New Location for Southern Semi-State

TripleB

How about this for opening another can of worms: when I-69 is completed, it won't be a three-hour drive from Indy to get here anymore.

Oh believe me for some it still will be.  It sure would be nice if most of the decent size cities in Southern Indiana had direct routes between them.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no facilities as good as Roberts Stadium south of Indy.  Assembly Hall is not as good as Roberts.  Seating is not nearly as good and I bet there isn't as much floor space.  Most IU fans even agree that the seating is sub-standard.  Not only that, IU probably isn't going to give you that building during basketball season.  There isn't one high school gym with the abilty to hold the semi-state to the current standard.

Are there any venues around the Jeffersonville/New Albany area that could work?

Freedom Hall

yes, we all know it is in KY, but the questions was a venue around Jeffersonville/New Albany area that could work, and Louisville is around New Albany.  Never would happen, but this is a correct answer to the question.

That semi-state was at Bloomington in the 70's, then Seymour 80's and 90's. There were a great many fans from Evansville at Seymour  ( especially Mater Dei); however, when they moved to Evansville in the last decade attendance jumped drastically as I understand. We've been moved to New Castle so my opinion is just from talk with coaches. I don't see IHSAA moving with that kind of income and interest. We travel quite a bit also, but money ussually rules. Put that with a large vocal crowd and tradition, and I think it will stay pretty darn close to Evansville.

With Goldman really trying to make a push to expand IU wrestling exposure to the state of Indiana these next few years are a better time than ever to try get a semi-state there.  I'd say if Evensville is no longer able to host in the near future that a push be made for Assembly Hall if Goldman supports the effort.  Other than that not many other option exist since the University of Southern Indiana doesn't have a big enough facility.  Anyone planning on  magically building a convention center around the central part of southern Indiana sometime soon?

The funniest part of this entire conversation is listening to people complain about the "3 hour drive to Evansville".  Folks I drove to the Brownsburg area ever weekend for a long time to see a former girlfriend.  I feel your pain if you live in Hendericks County or there about.  

But here is the cold hard fact...Evansville IS a part of the state.  We have (at the moment atleast) one of the better venues for this tourney.  

We have to drive that drive every year to go to any major event in the state and spend OUR money in the local economies...So how about a little in return?  Evansville is one Heck of a great place!   After hearing the stories - and actually seeing many of the other venues - Moving this event out of Evansville would be a huge mistake.   Sorry if your fans don't want to ride all that way to see a wrestling event, but honestly if I want to see a concert, or attend a training course for work, I have to ride 3.5 hours just for that opportunity.  So please don't expect us to feel all that sorry for you.  

There SHOULD have been a direct route to our State Capitol decades ago...But everyone seemed to think that wasn't needed.   Evansville managed to become one of the most prosperous and populated cities in the state without it...

Think About It Folks...

Now...Let's get ready to ROCK ROBERTS STADIUM...

The funniest part of this entire conversation is listening to people complain about the "3 hour drive to Evansville".  Folks I drove to the Brownsburg area ever weekend for a long time to see a former girlfriend.  I feel your pain if you live in Hendericks County or there about.  

But here is the cold hard fact...Evansville IS a part of the state.  We have (at the moment atleast) one of the better venues for this tourney.  

We have to drive that drive every year to go to any major event in the state and spend OUR money in the local economies...So how about a little in return?  Evansville is one Heck of a great place!   After hearing the stories - and actually seeing many of the other venues - Moving this event out of Evansville would be a huge mistake.   Sorry if your fans don't want to ride all that way to see a wrestling event, but honestly if I want to see a concert, or attend a training course for work, I have to ride 3.5 hours just for that opportunity.  So please don't expect us to feel all that sorry for you.  

There SHOULD have been a direct route to our State Capitol decades ago...But everyone seemed to think that wasn't needed.   Evansville managed to become one of the most prosperous and populated cities in the state without it...

Think About It Folks...

Now...Let's get ready to ROCK ROBERTS STADIUM...

Wish I could give you more than wahoo in an hour..... ;D

True.  I guess that would qualify for the list of possible location.  Though it would be another location in a far corner of the area, which to some would still mean a good drive.

Sites with enough space:

Evensville old/new Stadium

Hulman Center at ISU

Assembly Hall at IU

Seymour HS Gym

Hinkle Fieldhouse (located in area??)

Indiana State is all of 15min shorter drive for us than E-ville at 2hours and 15min.  I'm sure its much farther from the far ends of the area.  Man it just seems like those farmers could give us a few pieces of farmland for roads sometimes.

Nah, about the same for us as you guys. Just looked at large venue places.

I'm all for Evansville (as long as I leave my Yankees hat in Madison). My only traveling complaint was the snow blizzard of I think 04 when I had to drive 56 all the way to Madison. I think it took 5 hours to get home.

We'll commandeer a snowplow to lead you back if that happens again..... ;)

Now that kind of hospitality is why you guys have got to keep the event dispite the location. 

Triple-B at least you didn't have to give Scottsburg a tour of E-ville because they were given a janky bus one year.

Hey the Scottsburg Mini Bus tours will be going on once again this year if anyone is interested.  Rumor has it that this will be the last time performance of the world famous "Stance Dance" performed by TripleB.  No Yankee Caps allowed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hear they make a 300+ man look like 160lbs!

Yep Seymour came to my rescue when I got the Sanford and son mini bus one year.  It has since been retired god rest its soul.

I think those who are wanting to be critical of Evansville having this event so far from their front doors need to consider the service we are actually doing them getting out of their counties for the only time each year    ;D

I think those who are wanting to be critical of Evansville having this event so far from their front doors need to consider the service we are actually doing them getting out of their counties for the only time each year    ;D

I figured we were doing you guys a favor by showing you there can be more wrestling teams in the state than just right in E-ville.  ;)

Seymour is more centrally located?  From where?  What map are you looking at?  

It's a three-hour trip from Evansville which is what some teams have to travel now.  How is that more centrally located?  The AD at Seymour didn't want to host it anymore and gave it up.  The seating for teams was horrible.  They used to pull out about three rows of bleachers on floor.  That was never enough.  

Before that, the semistate was held at Bloomington North HS, with it being at Bloomington South one year.  Still a three-hour trip from E'ville.

I'm more than a bit prejudiced but when the semistate moved to Evansville, I think the attendance increased therefore providing more revenue.  I don't think the IHSAA (I know that's a dirty word right now) will move it as long as that keeps up.  I don't know where they'll hold it after the new arena is done, but I hope it never leaves.

You need to take a look at a map and also note Y2's comment. Not a huge fan of Seymour's seating, but it is so much better location wise than Evansville is if you look at all the teams and where they come from that wrestle at the Seymour SS. This site needs to be reviewed again and maybe find something a halfway between Indy and Evansville.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.