Anywhere Besides Merrillville for SS

WaltHarris

It's that time of year again. The time when the IHSAA decides to cram thousands of fans into the Cracker-Jack box that is Merrillville's gym. This has nothing to do with the staff at Merrillville. But that gym is way too small. The other 3 individual SS are at a collegiate area, at pro hockey coliseum and the largest HS gym in the US.  So where should we move this event to in your opinion.

From wikipedia:

The largest high school basketball gyms in the United States refers to gymnasiums primarily used by secondary schools for basketball purposes. Most of the school gyms are located in the state of Indiana. A 1998 New York Times article reported that 15 of the 16 largest high school gymnasiums were located in Indiana.

With 5,382 arena-style seats, the Glenn M. Curtis Memorial Gymnasium in Martinsville, Indiana was Indiana's largest when erected in 1924.

The top eleven in total seating capacity are as follows:

State City Venue Capacity

1 Indiana New Castle New Castle Fieldhouse 9,325

2 Indiana Anderson Anderson Wigwam 8,996

3 Indiana East Chicago East Chicago Central Gym 8,296

4 Indiana Seymour Lloyd E. Scott Gymnasium 8,110

5 Indiana Richmond Tiernan Center 8,100

6 Arizona Chinle Wildcat Den 8,000 (approx.)

7 Texas Dallas Alfred J. Loos Fieldhouse 7,500

8 Indiana Elkhart North Side Gymnasium 7,373

9 Indiana Michigan City "The Wolves' Den" Gym 7,304

10 Indiana Gary West Side High School Gym 7,217

11 Indiana Marion Bill Green Athletic Arena 7,054

I would like to see it stay in the region. That being said.

I thnk the question we should ask before We look for a different venue is who will step up and give a legit proposal to not only host it but also run the tournament. I think it's much easier said than done.

I agree!!  There has got to be some serious politics going on to keep this semi state in merriville!  It appears that its a screw the fans attitude and let me take care of my buddy.  Just think of the revenue that is lost because people dont want to subject themselves to that CRAMPED atomsphere.  I know of many, many people who would love to attend, but refuse because of the conditions

I wouldn't mind it being changed from Merrillville as long as it stayed in the region.  No Lafayette, no South Bend.  I think people should realize that Merrillville is only bad for the first two rounds.  After that, it's plenty big enough for even the fattest among us to find a roomy spot.  I also realize that the first two rounds are very important, but I didn't want people who haven't been there for a while and might be planning to come watch the semis and the finals to be scared away. 

One thing you're going to need to consider -- this seating capacity is what each gym can hold with all bleachers fully extended.

Some of these might lose some capacity if they needed to fit 4 or more full wrestling mats on the gym floor.

I don't go to Merrillville to eat I go there to watch the best Semi- State in Indiana! This is region wrestling so lets keep it here! I realize it gets cramped in the first 2 rounds but  after they let the main floor bleachers out it is fine. I'm not sure about New Castle, but the other two venues hosting Semi States have to be rented out by the Ihsaa which cuts into profits. At Merrillville the Ihsaa gets the venue for free thus making it the most profitible venue as far as Semi States go which is another reason the Ihsaa will keep it here. Another thing you would have to look at before moving it would be time zones. I think most would agree that they would rather gain the hour in the morning by coming to Merrillville than lose the hour in the morning by traveling east or south. As many sacrafices that the wrestlers have made to get this far, we as fans can sacrafice some crowding for a couple three hours until the first 2 rounds are over and if you really do need your space get there early and claim your seats. Remember that the wrestlers will wrestle on the same mat the first 2 rounds so that might help when deciding where to sit to see your wrestler. Good Luck  to all the wrestlers this weekend!

I agree with keeping the SS in the region, but it's too bad we can't better utilize some of the fantastic venues in the Lafayette area..namely Lafayette Jeff and Frankfort.....both seem perfect for wrestling, in my opinion...the problem is for one, Jeff is one of the southernmost schools in the semi state.....and secondly, on top of it's southern location in respect to the region, Frankfort is no longer in that semi state.  Great venues nonetheless!!!  It was awesome to see Frankfort's Case Arena packed for the filming of "Blue Chips"....over 5,000 fans every single night.  That would be even better with wrestling mats on the floor!!!!

Merrillville is becoming an institution with the lights down for the finals and just the overall atmosphere. That being said, Hammond Civic Center would be an absolute natural. Parking might get a bit sticky but the venue would be great! Doubt if there would be many scheduling conflicts either.

Actually, Merrillville has an excellent fieldhouse....I wonder why they don't bring in portable bleachers and run some of the first round matches in there to alleviate overcrowding?  Coaching in two gyms shouldn't be a huge problem, as schools should all have more than one coach.  Just an idea!  We go there and wrestle in a super duals in the fieldhouse every year and it goes very well.

Hobart would have the floor space but not the seating. Their balcony doesn't have the seating capacity. The Hammond Civic Center would be a good choice but who would host the tourney? Maybe it could be a group effort by all the Hammond schools. It would have an old school type atomosphere at the Civic Center and they could probably do the dimmed lights like they do for the boxing matches they have there. Plenty of parking space with overflow parking available next door at Hammond High and fairly easy highway access too. Wrestlers would have warmup space in the basement also. EC Central would have been a good choice also, but with Billy Maldonado gone and Cline Ave out of commission its probably not a good choice.

Plenty of fine suggestions. I don't have a strong preferences on location. I just want to get it out of Merrillville. I find it insulting that wrestlers and parents have to endure those type of conditions. If it was a women's sport, there would be a lawsuit.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.