Top Freshmen

niceshot

Since it's a brand new season I was wondering what freshmen do you think will make an impact on their high school team? Who has a shot of winning state? What weights are the big name freshmen?

What freshmen will challenge down in southern indiana for an SIAC title?

South Bend Riley has a great group of freshmen, this group might be the best they have had in along time. They got a kid name Mike Anderson that is a monster along with a hand full of other studs.

Mitch Sliga will be at 171 or 189.  He is VERY good.

I've heard many, many good things about this young man.  It will be interesting to see how he does as a freshman @ 171-189.

Mitch is a great kid and a pretty good wrestler also.

For Mitch to get to 171 this year, they'll probably have to take off a leg.  I would say 189 at the lowest.

New Albany High School has three freshman that I think will make a big impact on the team, next year they will have three more and I look for those kids to make a huge difference on NAHS Wrestling over the next few years! Kids are hungry, great work ethic, super supportive parents, the room and the team will benifit with the addition of this group!

2009/2010 Freshman: Brennan Banet (160ish), Tre Marler(119?), Keenan Ward(112?).

2010/2011 Freshman Brandon Davis, Cory Troutman and Antonio Nieto. (8th grade weights 140 {look for Davis to wrestle up though, he usually does}, 120, 135).

Bulldogs wrestling will be getting a great shot in the arm with these athletes!

Brett Vaughn  215lbs(Frankfort) should hold his own.  220lbs MS State Champ  and All American in Danville. Good Luck to All.

I have never seen this kid wrestle so i cant say too much but 215 is a vert tough weight class to enter as a freshman and expect to go far in the state tournament.. most 215 are former 171 and 189 with yrs of experience, this kid might be a great wrestler but hard to expect a lot at this weight class as a freshman

i finished 2nd at MS state as an 8th grader and finished 5-2 at Nationals and then went 30-10 as a freshman at 215 but had a rude awakening at the Laporte Regional losing 1st round. all my losses came to SSQ and state qualifiers, i wish this kid the best of luck but 215 is tough as a freshman

devildog, oh i think he is very realistic about his season and what to expect out of his freshmen year. He knows that many beatings lie ahead of him. If you had a 30 win freshmen season then I would consider that a heck of a year. I was just posting on the fact that he should be able to come in and help the team out, not that he will be a SSQ or a SQ. But come on he's Mike Atwood trained!  (lol) Best of luck to all. 

But come on he's Mike Atwood trained!  (lol) Best of luck to all.  

I thought the post said he went 2 frankfort? Did he wrestle on 1 of Atwoods off season teams? from what i hear  Mike Atwood is a great big guy coach, he has had some good wrestlers at the upper weight classes over the yrs, Kameron Banes was a stud at 215, and last yr they had that everett kid so if this kid does workout with atwood then it will only make him that much tougher

Have to wish Vaughn luck.  He has been in this sport a long time and deserves some wins and kudos.  Wrestle hard Brett, protect your legs and never under-estimate the effectiveness of a well executed, hard snap (directly followed by the "spin drill)."

Brett Vaughn  215lbs(Frankfort) should hold his own.  220lbs MS State Champ  and All American in Danville. Good Luck to All.

I have never seen this kid wrestle so i cant say too much but 215 is a vert tough weight class to enter as a freshman and expect to go far in the state tournament.. most 215 are former 171 and 189 with yrs of experience, this kid might be a great wrestler but hard to expect a lot at this weight class as a freshman

Homestead has a 215, big Brad Mills who will be a junior this year, and wrestled 215 as a Freshman and Sophomore.  He won sectional titles as a Freshman and a Sophomore, took 4th in Regionals as a Frosh (so would've advanced to semi-state with the rule change as a freshman) and went to semi-state ticket round as a soph. 

South Bend Riley has a great group of freshmen, this group might be the best they have had in along time. They got a kid name Mike Anderson that is a monster along with a hand full of other studs.

I have no personal knowledge of who is coming in but, SB Riley has steadily improved over the past few years.  The coach has worked very hard with the club program.  I was impressed every time I refereed a Riley match.  I would not be surprised to see several solid freshmen in their lineup.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.