JV State Tournament???

NickS

I know we have like an unofficial middle school state tournament that's been ran the last few years or so.  What's everyone's thoughts on having a Junior Varsity State Tournament.  It could be ran similar to the varsity state tourney (maybe not as many rounds).  You could have one week of sectional qualifying tourneys, then have the state tourney the following week or whatever. 

I've heard cases of kids who'd rather just quit than be stuck on the JV squad.  This would at least encourage these kids to reconsider.  I think it would be cool to see some of the best wrestlers, that couldn't quite make the line-up, get their shot at somewhat of a spotlight.  Has this ever been brought up by the IHSWCA or someone?

This is a great idea to get involvement up.  It would be great to have a JV state to help kids out.  I know when you come to triton thats one of the downfalls no jv matches.  Lets keep kids out and allow the JV to get a competitive schedule.

No way that the IHSAA sanctions a "JV State", but that does not mean that the coaches assoc. or some other body could not have an unofficial JV State. I like the idea, and agree that if there was something for the kids on the jv squad to point to at the end of the year it would help motivate them, and could actually help them when it is thier time to shine as a varsity wrestler.

Our JV heavyweight was ranked 10th in the state a few years back.  JV state would have to be ran like freestyle or greco state because i dont think the numbers are high enough to have a sectional regional semi state

Would the IHSAA allow a non-sanctioned state tournament for high schools wrestlers to take place?  I think it would be a great idea if it was ever actually put into place.

Would the IHSAA allow a non-sanctioned state tournament for high schools wrestlers to take place?  I think it would be a great idea if it was ever actually put into place.

Dont think the IHSAA would ever sanction it, however there is nothing that says the coaches association could not do it. If you can find someone to actually run it, and get the coaches behind it, you might have something.

I think a JV State Touney is a great idea. It might keep some jv kids from quitting because they are not varsity. It might also encourage jv kids to wrestle in the off season.

I see 2 possible roadblocks to this happening. As previously mentioned, the IHSAA would never sanction such a tourney. They view wrestling not as a positive asset to their overall program, but just another non revenue sport they are forced to deal with.

Another possible roadblock could be our AD's. Many of them view wrestling much the same as the IHSAA. I tried for several years to get a jv tourney for our conferance. I checked with every head coach and assistant coach in the conferance and they were unanimously in favor if it. I wrote up proposals and submitted them to our AD. She supposedly took it to the conferance ADs and it was allegedly voted down 7-1. I have my own doubts as to whether she actually submitted the proposal. We have a different AD now, so we might get more administrative support.

I think our best chance, as previously stated, would be for the coaches' association to sanction the tourney. I think it would be a tremendous asset in building a stronger wrestling program.

Anything that gets our kids more attention, and more matches, I'm all for. But let's say theres a team/kid, who has a very good 130 pounder (just an example) that is very tough, but knows he can't make it out of his regional because it's stacked. Whats to keep him from "getting beat" and being JV come JV State time? Also would these kids be allowed to wrerstle varsity for teams at state if needed?

Anything that gets our kids more attention, and more matches, I'm all for. But let's say theres a team/kid, who has a very good 130 pounder (just an example) that is very tough, but knows he can't make it out of his regional because it's stacked. Whats to keep him from "getting beat" and being JV come JV State time? Also would these kids be allowed to wrerstle varsity for teams at state if needed?

While your point is well taken, I would suggest that any kid that would get beat intentionally as a varsity wrestler to be able to drop into the JV series would not be a varsity wrestler anyway. Or at the very least ought not be a varsity wrestler.

However I am sure there would be a few rules aimed at eligibility such as only allowing a certain percentage of varsity matches during the year, and if you are on the sectional roster that would eliminate you from being able to compete in the JV series.

While your point is well taken, I would suggest that any kid that would get beat intentionally as a varsity wrestler to be able to drop into the JV series would not be a varsity wrestler anyway. Or at the very least ought not be a varsity wrestler.

However I am sure there would be a few rules aimed at eligibility such as only allowing a certain percentage of varsity matches during the year, and if you are on the sectional roster that would eliminate you from being able to compete in the JV series.

I think a rule would be put into place that prohibits kids from having too many varsity matches come JV state time.  For instances, anyone having more than 10 varsity matches, or something like that, are automatically ruled out.  Also, anyone that competes in the JV series is prohibited to wrestle in the Varsity series.  This would keep kids from intentionally bumping up and down, assuming that it would.

It's nice to see a "non-class" thread on the front page that's got multiple pages on it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.