Middle Schoolers competing in High School

Champion

I ran across an article on the mat.com and it said that a 6th grader from Florida placed 5th at state High School state... He ended the Season with over 60 wins.  I know in Indiana middle schoolers cannot compete in high school but why not?  It would help fill some small schools rosters...

Whats your take?

I would be totally against the idea of allowing middle school/ jr. high kids wrestle in high school.  Even coming from a school that suffers every year with numbers.  This is why:

--Maturity Level (Only about 1 of 1,000 middle school kids could compete at the high school level and be successful due to strength, aggressiveness and so on.)

--I wouldn't want my 6th, 7th or even 8th grader around Juniors and Seniors in the locker room. (although we have some good wrestlers that young kids would benefit from in the wrestling room, they are still high school kids and locker room talk would not be good for little ears)

--Injuries, young bodies would suffer or be prone to more injury with the intense practice schedule of a high school program.....sure you may think they would get use to the intensity, but most middle schoolers would get really burned out, if they were struggling with health all the time.

--Lastly, I really feel it would hurt some JV or Varsity kids' feelings if they got beat out of their spot by a 6th grader! lol

I would be totally against the idea of allowing middle school/ jr. high kids wrestle in high school.  Even coming from a school that suffers every year with numbers.  This is why:

--Maturity Level (Only about 1 of 1,000 middle school kids could compete at the high school level and be successful due to strength, aggressiveness and so on.)

--I wouldn't want my 6th, 7th or even 8th grader around Juniors and Seniors in the locker room. (although we have some good wrestlers that young kids would benefit from in the wrestling room, they are still high school kids and locker room talk would not be good for little ears)

--Injuries, young bodies would suffer or be prone to more injury with the intense practice schedule of a high school program.....sure you may think they would get use to the intensity, but most middle schoolers would get really burned out, if they were struggling with health all the time.

--Lastly, I really feel it would hurt some JV or Varsity kids' feelings if they got beat out of their spot by a 6th grader! lol

Well said, all valid points.  What's the rush anyway.

I ran across an article on the mat.com and it said that a 6th grader from Florida placed 5th at state High School state... He ended the Season with over 60 wins.  I know in Indiana middle schoolers cannot compete in high school but why not?   It would help fill some small schools rosters...

Whats your take?

My take?  Indiana has more quality wrestlers than Florida...nuff said.  I mean, I'm sure there are some awful tough 6th graders out there but, REALLY, which ones would even come close to even making it to state, let alone placing. 

That was OJ Mayo that played varsity basketball in high school before he moved to some prep school.  However, I believe that where he went to school there was only one school for the whole town. 

Mississippi has schools that have all grades under one roof also.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.